Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 model Y scan my Tesla battery size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a inventory model y which has VIN 88605, so should i expect all these features that we are talking about. like 82kwh battery, thicker steering wheel for heated steering wheel etc.

Only Performance Y's are known to have the 82kW pack right now. So if you picked up a stock LR-AWD you likely have the 78kW pack, should have the other items discussed here but none of the upcoming items shown on the China built Y recently.

Wouldn't they publish a range increase along with the new battery?
Was that 82kw battery increase part of the last increase in the model 3?s

Also the stated battery's where 75 and 82 kw .
I guess that is usable capacity ?
And it seems from reading this stuff that it's kind of
a fuzzy number.

Last edited:
Hello Alan,

Can you tell me why is it better to select 5 miles average ?

Thanks

That was in the context of a new vehicle which may not have more than 5 miles on the odometer, and wanted to make sure all the data was valid in the Energy Consumption screen. I have no idea how it behaves if there is no data. 5/15/30 miles makes no difference for the calculations, though you can use all three to get the "best guess" of the correct answer (helps eliminate some rounding error).

Reactions: TomaGo
Wouldn't they publish a range increase along with the new battery?

They did. (Deleted the info about the Performance Model 3...wrong forum!). As far as I can tell it is 303 rated miles now vs. 291 previously (a portion of this is probably due to efficiency improvements though). I don't follow Model Y closely.

And it seems from reading this stuff that it's kind of
a fuzzy number.

Nope, it's extremely well known and precisely defined. There's no fuzziness to these capacity numbers at all (there is a small amount of variation in initial capacity from vehicle to vehicle but that is random variation, not a fuzziness of the actual nominal capacity). They are published by the EPA for all to see in exquisite detail. Basic Search | Document Index System | US EPA

Last edited:
That was in the context of a new vehicle which may not have more than 5 miles on the odometer, and wanted to make sure all the data was valid in the Energy Consumption screen. I have no idea how it behaves if there is no data. 5/15/30 miles makes no difference for the calculations, though you can use all three to get the "best guess" of the correct answer (helps eliminate some rounding error).
Ok, understrand, thanks :)

Ok, understrand, thanks :)
Example where it makes little difference.

wQhQcE2.jpg

Sample using wolframalph or google calc:
(118 mi) * (477 Wh/mi) / 0.79 in kWh
(118 mi) * (477 Wh/mi) / 0.79 in kWh - Wolfram|Alpha
((118 mi) * 477 (Wh / mi)) / 0.79 =
118 mi *477 Wh/mi / 0.79 in kWh - Google Search

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Two of your numbers surprise me.

1. I never get above 72 kWh using that calculation. 92 seems quite high.
2. ~450 Wh/mi??? Are you towing? Even in the winter, I'm normally well below 300. My lifetime (since June) is below 250.

Two of your numbers surprise me.
1. I never get above 72 kWh using that calculation. 92 seems quite high.
2. ~450 Wh/mi??? Are you towing? Even in the winter, I'm normally well below 300. My lifetime (since June) is below 250.
Makes sense. MX I assume? 450 Wh/mi - just wow. Even more glad I got the MY.
Sorry for the confusion. My signature shows my vehicle.

I was showing the comparison of 2 things that were the discussion points: 1) Est kWh and 2) the projected range sample of 5/15/30.

In my X, I am normally in the mid-to-high 300s. Winter, short drives, or with my bikes on the tow rack I'm in the 400s.

That does appear true however in the highway portion of the test the performance is more efficient. This is backed up by some driving tests. Around town I am not that concerned about range. When I am on the highway taking trips it becomes critical.

I was trying to find this but on pages 17 and 18 the MYP has less miles for both city and highway driving, can you please tell me what you're referring to when you say MYP does better mileage on highway than LRAWD?