Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 model Y scan my Tesla battery size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reddit is saying that the larger pack may now be in all the Model Ys. Can be released with a software update.
Source (I think):
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/lt9i3k/confirmed_2021_model_ys_produced_after_feb_7/
YcFFkYR.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff N
Reddit is saying that the larger pack may now be in all the Model Ys. Can be released with a software update.
It isn't "Reddit" that says it. It is someone on Reddit who says that someone at a Tesla showroom said it. And what was said contains known false information (i.e. "all Model Y vehicles manufactured after Feb 7th have the new intelligent headlight"). Anyone who has been around Tesla for a while knows to take anything said by a Tesla employee with a grain of salt. To date, only Performance models have been confirmed (via photos) to have received the new headlights.

I read that thread. I'm pretty sure I saw a Model Y with a mfr date of 2/9 with the old headlights yesterday. I pick mine up today (pickup time moved from 10:30 am to 5:00 pm...GRRRRRR).

Mine was supposed to be built on 2/15 so we shall see.

Here at the store now. Haven’t seen my Model Y yet.

However, I was wrong about the 2/9 build having the older headlights. It is a 121k vin and a Performance Model Y and it does have the new headlights.

I thought this was an interesting/oddly worded update to TeslaFI . COM. Would that imply that is how the Tesla API differentiates between them ... or just the only way you can get this 'insight' with the current API details.

Improvements:
Battery Report Beta now includes API data 'exterior_trim' color to differentiate Model 3 82 kWh batteries from others when comparing the fleet average.
<snip>

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Just refer to the methods posted here about how to determine your capacity (which I think you have already seen). A 2021 Model Y Performance has a ~81kWh capacity. 95.5% of which is available above 0%.

You don’t have to test it or rely on anyone else - the energy screen tells you everything you need to know about your pack capacity at any point in time, assuming high SoC.

Has anyone with a very recent (newer than VIN 125k) non-P Y used 'Scan my Tesla' to inspect the battery size? Estimates on the screen, or the remark by the Tesla employee are not really that reassuring.

They aren’t really “estimates” on the screen (except that the BMS value itself is an estimate, which applies equally to SMT). They have been correlated with SMT output and it matches. There is no ambiguity here. Tesla does things a certain way, and unless they change it, the Energy Screen shows all, within about 1kWh (only two sig figs) assuming a high SoC.

Battery capacity in Wh = Projected Range * Recent Avg Efficiency / SoC %

Projected range is the projected range, not the number next to the battery.

No need to worry. This works. It is very reassuring, I hope. Been verified many many times over at this point with SMT.

The non-P Y for 2021 so far has been 77.8kWh nominal full pack when new, AFAIK. But I could be wrong about that - and it varies a bit from vehicle to vehicle, and eventually (probably) Tesla will start delivering Ys with “82” kWh FPWN values in non-P trim (no idea when!), so best just to check your own vehicle. No need for SMT for this purpose (obviously SMT gives lots of other useful info though).

Would be great to get the link to the Reddit thread with the evidence of a larger pack from either SMT or the Energy Screen. Never mind I see the link. Seems like exactly zero evidence. There is no need to guess here. Just takes one picture.

Last edited:
I'd love to have the bigger pack...should be an extra 15-20 real highway miles. I'm planning on delaying delivery until May 1st
Yep that would be well worth the wait.

Hopefully some brand-new owner here posts their energy screen picture with the three numbers and then there would be no mystery! No need to wait for SMT.

One of the related threads below (the last one) outlines the basic method with a picture FWIW.

Reactions: ratsbew
Just refer to the methods posted here about how to determine your capacity (which I think you have already seen). A 2021 Model Y Performance has a ~81kWh capacity. 95.5% of which is available above 0%.

You don’t have to test it or rely on anyone else - the energy screen tells you everything you need to know about your pack capacity at any point in time, assuming high SoC.
I see, I’ll have to look through the thread again since I don’t know how to measure it. I wonder why my SA said the spec sheet is showing 74kw battery.

I see, I’ll have to look through the thread again since I don’t know how to measure it. I wonder why my SA said the spec sheet is showing 74kw battery.
The new related threads feature is awesome.
Here is the link to the post in this thread though:

The new quote feature, however, not so good - I have no idea where it is getting that text from. It’s from a post somewhere on this thread, just not that one!

Additional caveat on this method is that of course capacity lockouts can be hidden by Tesla when using this method. SMT might show such a lockout by showing FPWN value higher than Nominal Full Pack. There are several other scenarios as well. But as far as utility goes, the method is great - it tells you how much available energy your BMS thinks you have (with a full pack) before vehicle shut down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Venom
The new related threads feature is awesome.
Here is the link to the post in this thread though:

The new quote feature, however, not so good - I have no idea where it is getting that text from. It’s from a post somewhere on this thread, just not that one!

Additional caveat on this method is that of course capacity lockouts can be hidden by Tesla when using this method. SMT might show such a lockout by showing FPWN value higher than Nominal Full Pack. There are several other scenarios as well. But as far as utility goes, the method is great - it tells you how much available energy your BMS thinks you have before vehicle shut down.
Awesome! I love the new thread share feature. Does Tesla throttle the battery? So they make it behave like a 75kw battery even though it’s the 82kw?
Also, I’m assuming the 82kw is Panasonic and 75kw is LG?

Awesome! I love the new thread share feature. Does Tesla throttle the battery? So they make it behave like a 75kw battery even though it’s the 82kw?
Also, I’m assuming the 82kw is Panasonic and 75kw is LG?

No, there's no throttling (capping?) quite like that. But the 82kWh might only be allowed 81kWh or something. And that could be a temporary situation. Usually the FPWN value in SMT matches the actual Nominal Full Pack when the car is new (but appears to not be the case for the 2021 Performance).

But the Energy Screen method gives the available energy, pure and simple. You'll find for your car you will almost certainly get 80kWh or 81kWh for the answer, since it's new.

Of course, if Tesla wanted to really stretch the battery at the risk of failure, there's probably more capacity in there, so in that sense the pack is capped. But the numbers we're talking about here are the numbers that Tesla has deemed are allowed to be used safely. So I am ignoring any of that sort of capping.

In the US both batteries are Panasonic according to all info we have. Europe is different - lots of pack types!

Basically, AFAIK, 2021:
Performance: FPWN 82.1kWh (seems to be limited to about 81kWh)
AWD: FPWN 77.8kWh (no apparent limitation, typically will see around that for a new vehicle with a full pack)

The SMT FPWN (Full Pack When New) is a hard-coded value. The Nominal Full Pack is your vehicle's actual maximum capacity.

The energy screen method provides the Nominal Full Pack value.

(These numbers are from Model 3 but my understanding is the same applies to 2021 Model Y)

There is vehicle-to-vehicle variation in starting capacity too, so I'd expect something like +/-1kWh typically around these starting numbers, for a new vehicle. Though it's pretty rare to see the +1kWh side of things.

Last edited:
Reactions: camthehombre