Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 model Y scan my Tesla battery size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Battery capacity in Wh = Projected Range * Recent Avg Efficiency / SoC % (sorry quote not working for me)

Could you walk through which units you are using here? As I don't think I'm calculating my own car correctly. Will be interesting to see as I have confirmed (by Tesla) 8% loss, so should be at about 69Kwh for my 2018 P3D-

Battery capacity in Wh = Projected Range * Recent Avg Efficiency / SoC % (sorry quote not working for me)

Could you walk through which units you are using here? As I don't think I'm calculating my own car correctly. Will be interesting to see as I have confirmed (by Tesla) 8% loss, so should be at about 69Kwh for my 2018 P3D-

For example, my car says, at 80% SoC, with recent average efficiency of 310Wh/mi (for the 5-mile setting, but doesn't matter), gives a projected range of 180 miles. So:

180 mi * 310Wh/mi / 0.8 = 70kWh.

Last edited:
Reactions: ratsbew
For example, my car says, at 80% SoC, with recent average efficiency of 310Wh/mi (for the 5 mile setting, but doesn't matter), gives a projected range of 180 miles. So:

180 mi * 310Wh/mi / 0.8 = 70kWh.

Thanks for clarifying. Interesting. My calculation works out at 74Kwh... Which is confusing as I'm confirmed 8% loss at my stage (by Tesla, at ~30K miles)

(224 * 264 / 0.8) = 73,920

Thanks for clarifying. Interesting. My calculation works out at 74Kwh... Which is confusing as I'm confirmed 8% loss at my stage (by Tesla, at ~30K miles)

(224 * 264 / 0.8) = 73,920
Just make sure you don't have "instantaneous" set on the energy screen. Has to be the average setting (easy to tell but if you're not paying attention you could pick the wrong one)! You can also do 5/15/30 miles and redo the calculation for each (they'll all be about the same).

That result would project to 301 rated miles at 100% (for your vehicle type). No idea what you're actually seeing projected by the Tesla app when you pull the slider to 100% (that's a good way to crosscheck the result - you need to set Display => Energy Display to Distance mode, though, in the car).

Anyway this is a Model Y thread...so I'll try to steer back towards Model Y and SMT here. Though since the batteries are basically the same, it's mostly applicable except for the miles numbers.

Last edited:
The new related threads feature is awesome.
Here is the link to the post in this thread though:

The new quote feature, however, not so good - I have no idea where it is getting that text from. It’s from a post somewhere on this thread, just not that one!

Additional caveat on this method is that of course capacity lockouts can be hidden by Tesla when using this method. SMT might show such a lockout by showing FPWN value higher than Nominal Full Pack. There are several other scenarios as well. But as far as utility goes, the method is great - it tells you how much available energy your BMS thinks you have (with a full pack) before vehicle shut down.
Just picked up my MYP. This is what the home display looks like. Haven’t driven it yet. Calculated 80.5kwh. Does that mean I have the upgraded battery?

Attachments

• F848D678-C955-47F4-B890-729A1437830F.jpeg
    F848D678-C955-47F4-B890-729A1437830F.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 197
Just picked up my MYP. This is what the home display looks like. Haven’t driven it yet. Calculated 80.5kwh. Does that mean I have the upgraded battery?
Yep. That's exactly what we would expect. Most people see about 80.5-80.8kWh or so on SMT when the car is new. And SMT says 82.1kWh for "Full Pack When New." (This is an atypical discrepancy which applies to all 2021 Performance Model 3/Y and the reason is unknown.)

If you had got an AWD, you would have calculated about 77.8kWh (assuming the rumors of a larger battery remain unfounded...it's very easy to document a larger battery, so until we have firm evidence, the AWD can be safely assumed to have the old Panasonic cells).

These values are all to a completely dead battery, using all the buffer. 95.5% of this energy is available above 0%/0rmi.

Last edited:
I just checked mine and have the following numbers:

202mi*252Wh/mi / 78% = 65 kWh.

This is for a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD with 23,800 miles.

Sounds pretty crappy. The projected 100% range as shown on the phone app is 276mi.

Would this be in the range of normal degradation, or should I be contacting service to check for an issue?
Has anyone else had experience with similar numbers?

(Just realized this is the model Y thread. Is there a similar thread for model 3?)

I just checked mine and have the following numbers:

202mi*252Wh/mi / 78% = 65 kWh.

This is for a 2018 LR RWD with 23,800 miles.

Sounds pretty crappy. The projected 100% range as shown on the phone app is 276mi.

Would this be in the range of normal degradation, or should I be contacting service to check for an issue?
Has anyone else had experience with similar numbers?

It's within the range of normal degradation; yes, 276 mi at 234Wh/mi for that vehicle is 64.6kWh, so your calculation checks out.

The degree of degradation for you and what "qualifies" is a little tricky for the RWD - initial 2018 RWD shipped with ~72.5kWh (310) and were later increased to 76kWh (325), which may have actually been 77.8kWh (hard to know, I don't know what SMT gives for "Full Pack When New" value for these packs).

So it's either 10.5% capacity loss, or as much as 16.5%, depending on what the actual initial capacity value was.

Either way, well within the allowed capacity loss (of course this is a generally worse result than most people). I'd keep an eye on it and look for other symptoms before contacting service - if this were the only issue, there's nothing they would do.

I'd expect your range to not change too quickly from this point if your pack is aging normally.

(Just realized this is the model Y thread. Is there a similar thread for model 3?)

Oops. Didn't pay attention to which thread this was, just saw the notification. Batteries are very similar though so the story is the same on Model Y for the most part:

Model 3:

It's within the range of normal degradation; yes, 276 mi at 234Wh/mi for that vehicle is 64.6kWh, so your calculation checks out.

The degree of degradation for you and what "qualifies" is a little tricky for the RWD - initial 2018 RWD shipped with ~72.5kWh (310) and were later increased to 76kWh (325), which may have actually been 77.8kWh (hard to know, I don't know what SMT gives for "Full Pack When New" value for these packs).

So it's either 10.5% capacity loss, or as much as 16.5%, depending on what the actual initial capacity value was.

Either way, well within the allowed capacity loss (of course this is a generally worse result than most people). I'd keep an eye on it and look for other symptoms before contacting service - if this were the only issue, there's nothing they would do.

I'd expect your range to not change too quickly from this point if your pack is aging normally.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm reasonably confident I have a 72.5 kWh (310) pack. My car was a June 2018 delivery.
I never saw any range change when others were reporting increases to 322/325 via software changes.
So probably not great... but could be worse:rolleyes:

Maybe I'm over analyzing this, but I'm a new MYP owner that recently picked up my car on 3/31 that was built on 3/23/21 with 157xxx vin. For the past couple of days I've consistently calculated 78 kwh when people are mentioning MYP owners should be getting 80 kwh. After reading @AlanSubie4Life with an MYP calculate 80 kwh It made me rethink this again and I just went outside to check. I now calculated 79 kwh which gets me closer, but I've never hit 80. Maybe too many variables come into play and I should just let this go and be happy?

Maybe I'm over analyzing this, but I'm a new MYP owner that recently picked up my car on 3/31 that was built on 3/23/21 with 157xxx vin. For the past couple of days I've consistently calculated 78 kwh when people are mentioning MYP owners should be getting 80 kwh. After reading @AlanSubie4Life with an MYP calculate 80 kwh It made me rethink this again and I just went outside to check. I now calculated 79 kwh which gets me closer, but I've never hit 80. Maybe too many variables come into play and I should just let this go and be happy?

It’s probably fine. The big packs (for Model 3 - Model Y Performance could be slightly different) seem to start at somewhere between 79kWh and 81kWh. I don’t know much about Model Y pack data from SMT so there are also unknowns (known unknowns, for me).

But to put it in perspective, previous year would probably have been calculating out to 77kWh or so.

It’s entirely possible you got a pack that started a bit on the low side. (Did your rated range on an actual 100% charge ever match the EPA rating?) That’s kind of the golden test. If your car charges to 100% and matches EPA rating for rated miles then it is almost certainly fine. If it doesn’t, to the extent it is low, you might be missing a bit of capacity (proportional to the difference).

But overall these values seem just fine. It’s not like you are way off. Remember the method only is good to the closest kWh or so.

Last edited:
3rd post in this thread gives graphics and a couple techniques (link and sheet).

There's also rounding involved since the UI doesn't display the SoC more accurately. 80% could be 80.4% or 79.6%. This shouldn't make much of a difference, though. Also, the battery begins to degrade immediately, so that can account for ~1kWh being lost.