Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y Sideview Mirrors Limited Adjustability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have the same issue with a 79xxx. Service appointment next week. They seemed to have ordered parts? I'll update if it fixes the issue.
Same they ordered:

EXT.MIRROR ASSY EC PREM DOM, LH MY - EC
Part #: 1594111-98-A

Hopefully they implemented a fix in the part - have a suspicion though that it will have the same problem - we’ll see

i am curious to know if this is a design flaw on the mirror, or just a batch of defective parts?

if the issue is caused by defective part, replacing with new part will fix the issue.

if this is a design flaw, i doubt that tesla has implemented, and ready to ship redesigned part! I would be very impressive if they can. This is not a software fix, new redesign part usually takes months....

maybe Elon employed a bunch of elves using 3D printers in his basement.....

I just fixed my mirror. Turn the mirror so that it is tilted downward and to the right, that should give you enough room to slide your fingers in the outside between the frame and the glass and apply even pressure across the back of the glass to pull it out. Nothing in there looked super fragile or like it was going to break. After that I snipped off about half an inch from the top 2 tabs (see the linked picture at the bottom). Pushed the glass back on and I can position it perfectly, and I have room to move it farther up and to the left so I'm pretty sure it's not touching anything to do with the heating electronics. Photos attached for clarity: Removing tabs from 2021 Model Y driver's sideview mirror to allow full range of motion of the mirror

This appears to be a engineering mistake not a fault. How does something like this get through testing. Did no one think to actually sit in the car and see how the mirrors worked? I really want a model Y when my lease on the I3 ends but stuff like this really makes you wonder!

This appears to be a engineering mistake not a fault. How does something like this get through testing. Did no one think to actually sit in the car and see how the mirrors worked? I really want a model Y when my lease on the I3 ends but stuff like this really makes you wonder!
You would also think if the design changed it would have been subject to additional testing.

Test drove two Model Y's yesterday, one had this issue. Limited range of adjustment on the drivers mirror. Appeared to be hitting a physical stop. The other Y did not have this issue. Both vehicles had the new laminated glass. The one with the issue was a LR, the performance seemed fine. I asked the Tesla employee about it and he also tried to adjust, said "seems like it's hitting something". Didn't see this thread until I'd come home, but definitely seems like the same problem.

Reactions: beachmiles
I’ve got an appointment in the morning for the Mobil service to address this issue. On my service estimate they have this part listed to replace:

EXT.MIRROR ASSY EC PREM DOM, LH MY(1594111-98 1.0

I’ll post up and let everyone know if this is a fix. It is a real safety issue. I can’t see the cars on my left. All I see is either the side of the Y or the ground.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
I just fixed my mirror. Turn the mirror so that it is tilted downward and to the right, that should give you enough room to slide your fingers in the outside between the frame and the glass and apply even pressure across the back of the glass to pull it out. Nothing in there looked super fragile or like it was going to break. After that I snipped off about half an inch from the top 2 tabs (see the linked picture at the bottom). Pushed the glass back on and I can position it perfectly, and I have room to move it farther up and to the left so I'm pretty sure it's not touching anything to do with the heating electronics. Photos attached for clarity: Removing tabs from 2021 Model Y driver's sideview mirror to allow full range of motion of the mirror

Here’s my update: blingeorkl’s fix is the fix. Thanks blingeorkl for finding the solution to this and giving us all your wisdom.

The Tesla mobile service tech arrived at my home this morning with a new mirror assemble. We talked about the issue, he removed the current mirror and we compared them. Both mirrors moved the same. So, the new mirror he brought was not an updated version, it was the exact same mirror with the same problem. At this time it appears that a new mirror assembly will not solve this problem.

I showed him blingeorkl‘s pictures of what we thought the problem was - with those top tabs getting in the way of the mirror being able to move out and up enough for taller folks to see other cars completely from the drivers side mirror. He used his pry tool to open up the mirror glass, found those tabs just like in blingeorkl‘s pictures, and snipped them off. He also opened up the new mirror glass he brought to see if it had those tabs - and it did.

Now, comparing the snipped tabs mirror with the new mirror with tabs side by side - it was obvious that the snipped tab mirror glass was able to move out and up more than the new one he brought. He manually moved the glass as far as it would go. He reinstalled my original mirror with the tabs snipped and had me sit in the car and see if it was better. Viola! Yes! Now I could move the mirror up and out so I can see cars on my left from this mirror. This completely fixed the problem!

blingeorkl ... You are a genius! you deserve all the credit for finding the problem these new mirrors have, and for coming up with the solution. And to my Tesla service tech - Thank you for everything you did to help me solve this problem! I appreciate your flexibility to try a new fix that was not in the service manual ... yet! It’s my hope that the Tesla powers that be will spread the word about this easy fix and give blingeorkl all the credit.

I sent my Tesla service tech a link to this forum thread and hopefully Tesla service will spread the word on how to fix this issue until they change the mold for the mirror and resolve it for good. I was the first customer with this mirror problem he had come across. So, for everyone else that is tall and has this problem please share this information with your Tesla service tech and they can easily fix it for you. They may give you a funny look at first, but show them the pictures blingeorkl posted and they’ll get it. If you are handy and feel comfortable prying off the mirror glass and have a small pair of snippers you can fix this at home yourself very easily ... again only try this if you are handy and feel comfortable.

Just an FYI - this is NOT a software problem. This is a hardware problem with those 2 tabs getting in the way of the mirror glass being able to move up and down enough for taller drivers who need to move their seats back further. If you are waiting for a software update to fix this - it will never arrive since that mirror glass can’t get past those physical tabs being in the way. The only way to fix it is to remove those tabs. I hope this continuing information helps others too.

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I studied your pics and crystal-clear instructions for all of thirty seconds, then went down to the garage, popped the mirror off, yanked the two tabs off with a pair of pliers, and pressed the motor back on. Got in the car to adjust the mirror, and Boom! Magic! Full range of motion, went right where I wanted it all along!

After texting back and forth with my SA, he agreed to send mobile service to see if the proposed fix (cutting the tabs) would work for my car next monday. I had sent him the link to this thread and the suggested part number. He said that part is the fix for heated mirror, and mine is not, so it would not be the right one for me.
I’ll report back after the service call.