Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y static on center speaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2021 Model Y (Oct 2020 delivery, 13,000+ miles) has started having sporadic static from the speaker behind/under the center display. This is with infotainment system volume completely off. Soft and hard reboot did not affect it. Seems to be worse on rough roads, but that's about the only clue I can find. Doesn't happen every day, but when it does, it's usually with us all day. It's loud enough to be distracting. Anyone else have this issue? Any idea on how to access this speaker? I wouldn't mind unplugging it. Thanks,

It turned out not to be a speaker under the center display, although it has a grill like a speaker. It's actually a very small fan that circulates cabin air to a sensor for the climate control system. I was able to remove the grill and disconnect the fan, but that messed up the climate controls. I scheduled a service appointment on the app and was able to get a replacement fan sent to me. Replacement was pretty simple and the "static" is gone. :). While waiting for delivery of the replacement, we stuck a small piece of folded business card paper into the fan to stop it turning. This stopped the "static" until the new fan was installed, and climate controls acted normally. ;)

It turned out not to be a speaker under the center display, although it has a grill like a speaker. It's actually a very small fan that circulates cabin air to a sensor for the climate control system. I was able to remove the grill and disconnect the fan, but that messed up the climate controls. I scheduled a service appointment on the app and was able to get a replacement fan sent to me. Replacement was pretty simple and the "static" is gone. :). While waiting for delivery of the replacement, we stuck a small piece of folded business card paper into the fan to stop it turning. This stopped the "static" until the new fan was installed, and climate controls acted normally. ;)
You can also try to spray/drip some oil into the back of the fan where the motor is accessible (peel back sticker if...), I dunno in the case that your sc appt is a ways away.

I noticed a sound recently from around that area, kind of like a very high frequency static. I could hear it over my music/podcasts. Maybe it's the same as yours. Anyway my car is now in for service 2 days later with a bricked computer/screen. I hope it is unrelated. If they replace my computer I'll follow up and let you know if that changed anything.