Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y Tire Options for better ride & range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reviving this discussion now that we've all had some time with our tire choice.

- What'd you land on? Any regrets?

I kept the Geminis & purchased the Tesla winter tire set, just swapped back to the stock Geminis since winter is (hopefully) over.

- Have you performed the Tire Rotation, Balance and Wheel Alignment at 6,250 miles as recommend in the Model Y service manual?

Yes - The stock Geminis had 11k+ Miles on them when I swapped them out for the winter tires, rebalanced and had the wheel aligned when they were just put back on.

- What's your thread depth looking like? Any plans to replace the tire soon?

Unknown & planning for an all season tire replacement when the Geminis hit ~25K miles in Spring of 24' giving me 3 season years with the tires.

Last edited:
TMYB-C1: I guess we're assuming you have the OEM Continental ProContact tires. "Gemini" is the name of the wheel cover, Apollo is the name of the wheel, but everyone now calls the wheel Gemini, including on the Tesla site.

I'm not driving aggressively enough to wear out my ContiProContacts, now at 23k miles. They're about 1/2 worn, tread is around 5/32".

Hi - I agree with you all. I was very disappointed with the factory continental tires and need to replace them after them being completely worn out and getting a flat at 15K! Suggestions for all weather tires you've liked with good tread life for a MY long range?

The mobile service person that installed the winter tires mentioned that the driving mode needs to be in Chill mode to let your tires last longer. The rears wore down faster than the fronts on MY even in chill mode. I am at 23k miles and tires are at 1/2 life

Any thoughts on winter tires? I'm contemplating ordering them from Tesla now since they were sold out for most of last winter.
I bought winter tires and rims - pretty ones at a tire dealer in Quebec because Tesla was sold out. Spent about $1000 less. I don't think you want my Quebec dealer's name, but try local tire shops. And if you are buying rims too, ask if they have the Tesla tire pressure sensors.

I'm about 200 miles on 255/45ZR-19 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 XL I ordered from Tirerack and installed at a local shop. Much better grip, they aren't noisy per se but do sound different. Noticing about a 1-2% range reduction on the same daily routes. Grip is so much better on wet roads, it's not even funny. My stock 19 inch tires lasted 18k.

Heard good things about the vredsteins, anyone tried the Michelin crossclimate + or crossclimate2 ? I have a set on my fwd ice car and had great dry, snow and wet performance, and decently quiet so far - not sure about any friction/ range impact vs the vredsteins though or if it comes in the model Y sizes
The last time I looked, in the 19 inch size at least, Michelin CrossClimate 2's didn't offer the right size/weight rating for our cars...yet. I read somewhere that they were coming out with new sizes soon, so maybe 255/45R19 104's will be included in that batch.

The last time I looked, in the 19 inch size at least, Michelin CrossClimate 2's didn't offer the right size/weight rating for our cars...yet. I read somewhere that they were coming out with new sizes soon, so maybe 255/45R19 104's will be included in that batch.
I have been following discount tire CC2 listing and it was "Coming April 1st", Now "Coming soon: May". I cannot wait any longer so have to look at alternatives.

mxm4 AC for 20" MYLR? Debating that or the ps AS4.

Prefer a balance of comfort, noise and performance
I'd go for the PS AS4. I've run the MXM4 on a different car, and hated it, but I prefer performance oriented tires, and that tire is definitely not that. But if you read the reviews for them, a common complain of the Primacy MXM4 is that they are excessively noisy...

I'd go for the PS AS4. I've run the MXM4 on a different car, and hated it, but I prefer performance oriented tires, and that tire is definitely not that. But if you read the reviews for them, a common complain of the Primacy MXM4 is that they are excessively noisy...
Apparently these are the MXM4 AC with the acoustic foam. Which I know doesn't drastically improve road noise, but more thumps while driving. Also was looking at the longer warranty even though our EVs will never hit the rates range.

But yeah I'm leaning towards the AS4 since they seem to be popular.

Apparently these are the MXM4 AC with the acoustic foam. Which I know doesn't drastically improve road noise, but more thumps while driving. Also was looking at the longer warranty even though our EVs will never hit the rates range.

But yeah I'm leaning towards the AS4 since they seem to be popular.
Do you have a Discount Tire near you? If so, what I'd do, is get the PS AS4. They have a 30 day, (might be 14 day, I can't remember) no questions asked money back guarantee, so that if you don't like it, find it too noisy etc, you can return it no problem... I wouldn't worry about the warranty... I've never achieved the warranty rating on pretty much any tire I've had, and I found Discount Tire to be, by far, the easiest to work with on pro-rating the treadwear warranty. When I ran the primacy MXM4, when the tires were only halfway worn, they were pretty scary to drive in the wet as they hydroplaned easily... I havent' run the AS4, only the AS3+ and older versions, but I never had that problem with those...

Do you have a Discount Tire near you? If so, what I'd do, is get the PS AS4. They have a 30 day, (might be 14 day, I can't remember) no questions asked money back guarantee, so that if you don't like it, find it too noisy etc, you can return it no problem... I wouldn't worry about the warranty... I've never achieved the warranty rating on pretty much any tire I've had, and I found Discount Tire to be, by far, the easiest to work with on pro-rating the treadwear warranty. When I ran the primacy MXM4, when the tires were only halfway worn, they were pretty scary to drive in the wet as they hydroplaned easily... I havent' run the AS4, only the AS3+ and older versions, but I never had that problem with those...
I went ahead and ordered the AS4. It's rains ALOT here in Houston so might as well be safe and eat the effiency/noise/comfort issues