Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y Tire Options for better ride & range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to buy a new 2021 Model Y . The standard 19” inch tires I have heard are the preferred tire for ride & range ? Looking online I have seen people post that the optional 20” induction tires while looking amazing actually takes 15-20 miles off your range & has a rougher ride . I have also seen that buy getting lighter 19” tires (Martian) you actually get the great black wheels & get an additional 20 miles of range?

Looking to get the black wheel look & get as much range as possible . Any recommendations on how to accomplish this ?

Does Tesla calculate the weight of the car when it determines range available? I have heard the 19’ Martian wheels are about 10-15lbs lighter per wheel

Thanks

The 20" Induction wheels may provide a slightly firmer ride that the standard 19" wheels on the Model Y. The 20" Induction wheel is an advanced wheel design with good aerodynamic efficiency. Any range impact of the 20" Induction wheels with the OE Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric tires versus the 19" wheels with the Gemini wheel covers installed and the Continental ProContact RX tires is minimal.

When you add up the weight of the 20" wheel + Goodyear tire this combination weighs slightly less than 1 lb more than the 19" wheel with Continental tires (not sure if the weight of the 19" wheel includes the Gemini wheel cover.) Neither the OE Goodyear Asymmetric Eagle F1 tires or the OE Continental ProContact RX tires are LRR tires. The Goodyear Eagle F1 is a high performance all season tire. The Continental ProContact RX is a grand touring all season tire.

If you like the black out look of the Induction wheels these would be the ones to get. The only caveat is that the tow rating of the Model Y with the 20" Induction wheels when carrying three or more passengers and towing a trailer is less than the tow rating with either the 19" wheels or the 21" wheels without any total passenger restrictions.

If you are looking for ways to extend the range and efficiency it is not in the difference between the 19" or 20" wheels. LRR tires can improve efficiency. Driving speed has the greatest impact on range and efficiency. The 21" Uberturbine wheels are significantly heavier, there is a definite range and efficiency penalty with the 21" Uberturbine wheels.

Here's how tire and wheel choice affects electric vehicle range

TSportline provides a Wheel Guide that includes the specifications (including weight) of the Tesla 19", 20" and 21" wheel options for the Model Y:
The Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Guide

Last edited:
:) :) :) Jeez...reading these posts reminds me of my late TX grandfather-in-law: "Yer pickin' the fly *sugar* out of the pepper."

I've owned our 2021 MY for 3 months, so clearly I'm an expert. Range is actually less important than everyone makes it out to be, unless you're traveling in areas w/o Superchargers. Road trip? Drive as fast as you want, keep SOC between 10-65%, stop to charge every 110-140 miles. Only takes 10-15 minutes...barely enough time to use the restroom and stand in line for food, do a little Yoga...

I got 2 Y's, one PUP with the 21's owned for a year + and an SR with 20" owned for a month. I have both 19 and 21" wheels, got the extra set for the PUP, got the OEM 19" rims, and put continental all weathers for out of state trips. Except for a bit of ride softness and some range increase on my PUP( +10- 15 miles if driving appropriate 75 +/- on Hwy blah blah), you really ok with any set IMO. The penalty for local driving is small, unless your commute is really extensive, lead foot, etc... I commute to work 1hr 4 times a week and tried both 19 and 21; aside from a bit softer ride on the 19, it was about the same. For long trips through the 19" win a bit more range. But all of that goes away if you start pushing into the '80s on the odometer. ;)

The wife uses her SR for shorter work commutes, 30-40 min hwy, and she's had no issues with the 20" and she puts an average of 50-70 miles daily. Noise in the cabin is a different story, and her SR is a lot quieter, I don't know if it's the laminated front side glass and better-expanding foam on the body combined with the foam on the wheels or just the combo of the 21" and stiffer suspension that makes my 2020 a bit noisier. Looking at junkyards for the laminated glass to retrofit on my Y to test. Few are starting to pop up now, so hopefully not too long of a wait. Already retrofitted the new center console.:p

Sidenote: the only warning ill give you on the 20" a lot of ppl have curbed them a bit more easily as the rim protrudes a bit, so a bit of caution on the curbs.

Last edited:
The 20" Induction wheels may provide a slightly firmer ride that the standard 19" wheels on the Model Y. The 20" Induction wheel is an advanced wheel design with good aerodynamic efficiency. Any range impact of the 20" Induction wheels with the OE Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric tires versus the 19" wheels with the Gemini wheel covers installed and the Continental ProContact RX tires is minimal.

When you add up the weight of the 20" wheel + Goodyear tire this combination weighs slightly less than 1 lb more than the 19" wheel with Continental tires (not sure if the weight of the 19" wheel includes the Gemini wheel cover.) Neither the OE Goodyear Asymmetric Eagle F1 tires or the OE Continental ProContact RX tires are LRR tires. The Goodyear Eagle F1 is a high performance all season tire. The Continental ProContact RX is a grand touring all season tire.

If you like the black out look of the Induction wheels these would be the ones to get. The only caveat is that the tow rating of the Model Y with the 20" Induction wheels when carrying three or more passengers and towing a trailer is less than the tow rating with either the 19" wheels or the 21" wheels without any total passenger restrictions.

If you are looking for ways to extend the range and efficiency it is not in the difference between the 19" or 20" wheels. LRR tires can improve efficiency. Driving speed has the greatest impact on range and efficiency. The 21" Uberturbine wheels are significantly heavier, there is a definite range and efficiency penalty with the 21" Uberturbine wheels.

Here's how tire and wheel choice affects electric vehicle range

TSportline provides a Wheel Guide that includes the specifications (including weight) of the Tesla 19", 20" and 21" wheel options for the Model Y:
The Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Guide
Just wanted to point out the new tires for the standard 19" are Goodyear Eagle Touring now.

EDIT: Actually looks like I'm wrong. I'm seeing the Continentals.

Last edited:
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Just wanted to point out the new tires for the standard 19" are Goodyear Eagle Touring now.

EDIT: Actually looks like I'm wrong. I'm seeing the Continentals.

Yeah the config tool is (or was? I haven't looked in a few days) showing Goodyear Eagle Touring in the close-up photo of the 19" wheels. Yet went for a test drive on Saturday in what the sales guy said was a very recent build and it had the Contis. So, not sure what the story is.

Heard good things about the vredsteins, anyone tried the Michelin crossclimate + or crossclimate2 ? I have a set on my fwd ice car and had great dry, snow and wet performance, and decently quiet so far - not sure about any friction/ range impact vs the vredsteins though or if it comes in the model Y sizes

What are you disappointed with on the continentals? I honestly don't know what to expect in a tire.
I just felt that the tire wear is way too quick. I should also mention my decision was kinda forced since I experienced a screw in the side tire wall... anyways, with about 26000KM (16000 miles) I was already at about 4 32nds of wear. It didn’t make sense to buy 2 new Coni’s when I could buy 4 new Bridgestones at the same price. These tires have an 800 tread wear. Should last much longer.

Reactions: Anser and TMYB-C1
I just felt that the tire wear is way too quick. I should also mention my decision was kinda forced since I experienced a screw in the side tire wall... anyways, with about 26000KM (16000 miles) I was already at about 4 32nds of wear. It didn’t make sense to buy 2 new Coni’s when I could buy 4 new Bridgestones at the same price. These tires have an 800 tread wear. Should last much longer.
Huh? Tirerack lists Bridgestones at $320, Contis $271.US.

The 19" wheel and the 20" Induction wheel weigh within 1 lb with the stock Continental and Goodyear tires As expected the efficiency of the 19" and 20: wheels are close. The 21" Uberturbine wheel is quite a bit heavier (at least for the rear Uberturbine wheels.) The efficiency difference is in the range of 5%.