Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y Tire Options for better ride & range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone is free to make their own decisions. I've done my own calculations and my weights are no where close to overloading the tires I have.

Here are the numbers for the 255/45/19 Continental ProContact RX, 104 load rating. I can't find any situation, even with towing, where I would overload the tires/axle. The 104 load rating is overkill, which is perfectly fine. I'm using a 101 load rating on my aftermarket wheels, which are exactly the same as the 20" Goodyear Eagle F1 that come equipped on North American Model Y with the Induction tires.

1632933995744.png

if you drop down to 99 load rating, even with four large adults, 200 lbs in the trunk, 285 lbs in the sub-trunk, tow hitch attached, and 55 lbs in the frunk, it still falls under the limit.
1632934224244.png

I've done a bunch of other calculations and I'll state it again, as long as people are not towing, which many of us are not, the lower tire load ratings are fine.

• Informative
Reactions: whisperingshad
Only downside to the Induction wheels are the horrible Goodyear tires they come with. Within 2000 miles I had picked up two holes in those tires (maybe just bad luck). I ended up ditching them and putting Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on with summer wheels. Inductions are at the tire shop right now getting 265/40-ZR20s installed. I had the inductions powder coated in gloss black. Went with Pirelli Sottozero 2's for winter tires. Those factory Goodyears might as well go directly in the trash when you pick your vehicle up from Tesla. At least in my opinion. Car felt way to go-kart like with jittery steering, harsh ride, and odd handling.

Reactions: pt19713
So I have a MYP and I want to put all season tires on. I’m okay with dropping down to 20 inches but will that mess anything up? The ride, vehicle….?
No issue if you install the 20" Tesla Induction wheels. As for aftermarket wheels, as long as the 20" wheels have the correct lug nut pattern, load rating and off set you should be fine.

Here is the TSportline Wheel guide for the Tesla Model Y: The Tesla Model Y Wheel Guide

Only downside to the Induction wheels are the horrible Goodyear tires they come with. Within 2000 miles I had picked up two holes in those tires (maybe just bad luck). I ended up ditching them and putting Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on with summer wheels. Inductions are at the tire shop right now getting 265/40-ZR20s installed. I had the inductions powder coated in gloss black. Went with Pirelli Sottozero 2's for winter tires. Those factory Goodyears might as well go directly in the trash when you pick your vehicle up from Tesla. At least in my opinion. Car felt way to go-kart like with jittery steering, harsh ride, and odd handling.
The Goodyears are fairly highly rated. Not even fairly.. they ARE highly rated.. check their ratings on popular tire retail sites like TireRack and Discount tire.

Granted I certainly agree the Michelin PS4S are going to perform much better. And given the chance, I'd replace my Goodyears with the Michelin AS4's for all-around driving. But I got to tell you I was pleasantly surprised at how much I like the Goodyears. Having raced motorcycles on road racing tracks around the country I've become all too familiar with tire choices & preferences. And generally speaking, I prefer Michelin or Pirelli over everything else. Hell, I would generally rank Continental and Bridgestone above Goodyear too. Dunlop is generally towards the bottom of my list.

The Goodyears are fairly highly rated. Not even fairly.. they ARE highly rated.. check their ratings on popular tire retail sites like TireRack and Discount tire.
No they're not.. If you look at the Tire Rack list, they are not even in the top ten for the UHPAS category. They are #14. I've run the Eagle F1 Asymmetric A/S in another car before getting the Y... They suck, at least compared to the Conti DWS-06 Plus and Pilot Sport A/S, which are ranked #1 and #2 respectively... I've run both those other tires, and I can honestly say, those two tires are hands down better than the Goodyears.

No they're not.. If you look at the Tire Rack list, they are not even in the top ten for the UHPAS category. They are #14. I've run the Eagle F1 Asymmetric A/S in another car before getting the Y... They suck, at least compared to the Conti DWS-06 Plus and Pilot Sport A/S, which are ranked #1 and #2 respectively... I've run both those other tires, and I can honestly say, those two tires are hands down better than the Goodyears.
Never liked GY tires. Michelin PS4 are by far superior. Nitto, Bridgestone, even Falcon tires are acceptable substitutes. I'd stay away from sticky summer tires though. Those are like erasers on pavement for our moderately heavy beasts weighing-in at more than 4.6k pounds. I've gone through a set and a half in about 18k miles.

Never liked GY tires. Michelin PS4 are by far superior. Nitto, Bridgestone, even Falcon tires are acceptable substitutes. I'd stay away from sticky summer tires though. Those are like erasers on pavement for our moderately heavy beasts weighing-in at more than 4.6k pounds. I've gone through a set and a half in about 18k miles.
  • 5,390 lbs – Model X Plaid
  • 5,185 lbs – Model X Long Range
  • 4,766 lbs – Model S Plaid
  • 4,561 lbs – Model S Long Range
  • 4,416 lbs – Model Y Long Range/Performance
  • 4,065 lbs – Model 3 Long Range/Performance
  • 3,582 lbs – Model 3 Standard Range Plus
  • 2,723 lbs Gen. 1 Tesla Roadster
11k miles and still have about half. You must F&F at every light and sign lol

Reactions: Schulz1983
I think I will get about 22k-25k out of a set of ps4s. Not great but I’m also not easy on it. Tires are kinda whatever to me. I want a great set that handles amazing and willing to replace when needed. The PS4s just handle and ride so well. Just installed Sottozero 2s today on the factory inductions. With rotating for winter it will delay how often I have to replace the summer tires.

pt19713: "The 104 load rating is overkill" OF COURSE it is. That's what auto manufacturers do...all...the...time...with brake systems, as well. ALWAYS overkill.

It's to protect the consumer from the worst case scenario: an accident maneuver, a loaded car having to brake suddenly, etc. etc.

As I said, run this by your insurance company and see what they say.

Clearly you're going to do what you want. Please try to avoid advising anyone here to do the same.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I think I will get about 22k-25k out of a set of ps4s. Not great but I’m also not easy on it. Tires are kinda whatever to me. I want a great set that handles amazing and willing to replace when needed. The PS4s just handle and ride so well. Just installed Sottozero 2s today on the factory inductions. With rotating for winter it will delay how often I have to replace the summer tires.
I've never gotten more than 20k miles out of all the flavors of Pilot Sport A/S I've run. But that was ok, because Discount Tire always pro-rated the warranty, so I've never had to pay full price for a set in a very long time.

Reactions: mypsandiego
All this talk has me now worried since Winter is coming and I have the stock 20” with Goodyears. Got the car in May, has been ok in the ran. Am in Philly and suburbs. Is the recommendation to swap these out for either the Michelin's or other better rated all season tires? The SA was adamant these would be fine for PA winters.

All this talk has me now worried since Winter is coming and I have the stock 20” with Goodyears. Got the car in May, has been ok in the ran. Am in Philly and suburbs. Is the recommendation to swap these out for either the Michelin's or other better rated all season tires? The SA was adamant these would be fine for PA winters.
How's the terrain where you are? You have any hills? I only ask, becuase I live on a hill, so when I had Eagle F1 Asymetric A/S on a different car, it was ok in the snow as long as it was flat, but they sucked ass trying to go up hills. I swapped them at the time for Pilot Sport A/S. They were marginally better in the snow. The A/S 3+ were better, but still not as good as the DWS 06. I actually made it up to a ski resort with the DWS 06, while my friend that was following me in their explorer got stuck, and had to borrow my chains.

Wisconsin here. The Goodyear's are trash in snow and ice. Dangerous trash. I've been driving on all seasons all my life in snow, these are the worst in 30 years. I got proper snow tires and it's fantastic. If you go all season, I'd recommend Continental DWS 06 or Vredestein Quatrac Pro. I have both on my other two vehicles and are great if you want to not go with separate snow rims and tires.

Just swapped my Uberturbines + PZero/ for Geminis in stock rubber and was shocked at how noticeably smoother the ride was.
I test drove a Performance Y with the big wheels, but I purchased the Y LR with 19" wheels. Noticeably smoother ride, but the tires lose traction under hard acceleration, particularly on curves. Not sure if the bigger wheels would change that dynamic as the overall diameter of both tires are almost identical, although the sidewalls are shorter on the Performance model.

As for tires, not a fan of the paper thin stock Contis. They will be replaced with the Vredesteins A/S the Contis wear out at ~20 - 25K.

I test drove a Performance Y with the big wheels, but I purchased the Y LR with 19" wheels. Noticeably smoother ride, but the tires lose traction under hard acceleration, particularly on curves. Not sure if the bigger wheels would change that dynamic as the overall diameter of both tires are almost identical, although the sidewalls are shorter on the Performance model.

As for tires, not a fan of the paper thin stock Contis. They will be replaced with the Vredesteins A/S the Contis wear out at ~20 - 25K.
Hmm...exactly what does "paper thin" mean? Just curious.

Susceptible to road hazards (shards of metal, screws, nails, etc,) especially in urban environments. I'm hoping the Vreds are a bit thicker / resistant to punctures. The Contis are EV specific, some compromises have to be made to keep their weight within specs. Read through the forums about flat tires.
What do you mean by EV specific? Are they EV tires? My wife’s Cherokee had Contis, do they make different type of Contis? EV and ICE versions?