Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y tires wore off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8 month old Model Y 11,000 miles driven I was told Rear tires need replacement they completely wore off. Mostly driven in City roads except for 1 road trip on I5 and I40.
I didn’t see this coming:(

Attachments

• 6E0C2E08-A16D-4B4A-A0E7-59363791FFFE.jpeg
    6E0C2E08-A16D-4B4A-A0E7-59363791FFFE.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 280
  • BFFBAA46-7251-4A88-A42F-5D5726550E02.jpeg
    BFFBAA46-7251-4A88-A42F-5D5726550E02.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 216
Bear with me , I am learning thru you guys and internet research reviews

For my 2015 Lexus CT200h, I am narrowing down to either Michelin CrossClimate 2 or Bridgestone EP422. Costco carries both of them
On sales aside because Costco rotates its sales one then the other
(1) I am leaning toward CC2 because it has higher load Index
(2) I know (can be measured with right tool) tire wall thickness of Micheline tires is thicker than that of Bridgestone
(3) I wanna try CC2 since they have tire size for my future MYLR. I am light footed so in general tires would last 50+/-miles

Please share with us your experiences
Thanks

CMPT PAD: I now realize/assume when you say "tire wall thickness of Michelin tires", you're talking about how far it extends over the lip of the wheel rim? Please clarify.

You've posted before about "tire wall thickness", and I keep thinking you mean the actual thickness of the tire wall rubber itself, which is a totally different thing.

FYI, when the time comes, I'll probably go with the CC2 tire. Hmm...maybe the newest Goodyear supposedly dedicated EV tire, but I've already read some complaints about expansion crack harshness, which makes sense. Designing a low rolling resistance (LRR) tire requires a level of stiffness that can compromise smoothness.

CMPT PAD: I now realize/assume when you say "tire wall thickness of Michelin tires", you're talking about how far it extends over the lip of the wheel rim? Please clarify.

You've posted before about "tire wall thickness", and I keep thinking you mean the actual thickness of the tire wall rubber itself, which is a totally different thing.

FYI, when the time comes, I'll probably go with the CC2 tire. Hmm...maybe the newest Goodyear supposedly dedicated EV tire, but I've already read some complaints about expansion crack harshness, which makes sense. Designing a low rolling resistance (LRR) tire requires a level of stiffness that can compromise smoothness.
@ Pianewman: Sorry for the confusion ... "I keep thinking you mean the actual thickness of the tire wall rubber itself" , yes this is what I am saying. If you have the right tool U could measure this. One quick way to see this is we go to any tires stores and see how 10 Michelin stacks up vs other brand of the same X/Y/Z size , Michelin tires stack is taller. I don't trust this judgement call from engineering standpoint but at least it gives me some indications

Yes I will go with Michelin CC2 . I am sure there are pros and cons of each brand
Thanks

I'll challenge your assumption that because Michelin tires "stack is taller" their sidewalls are thicker. Some brands of tires have a rounded shoulder/sidewall (I believe Michelin?), some are more square. This difference is probably what you're noticing when the tires are stacked.

I just saw various brands on display at Costco: Bridgestone QuietTrack and Michelin CC2 were out on the floor. If I had a caliper, it would be easy to measure the actual thickness.

Keep in mind that if the sidewalls ARE in fact thicker, the sidewall would be stiffer, which would result in a harsher ride.

I'll challenge your assumption that because Michelin tires "stack is taller" their sidewalls are thicker. Some brands of tires have a rounded shoulder/sidewall (I believe Michelin?), some are more square. This difference is probably what you're noticing when the tires are stacked.

I just saw various brands on display at Costco: Bridgestone QuietTrack and Michelin CC2 were out on the floor. If I had a caliper, it would be easy to measure the actual thickness.

Keep in mind that if the sidewalls ARE in fact thicker, the sidewall would be stiffer, which would result in a harsher ride.
@Pianewman as I stated "Michelin tires stack is taller. I don't trust this judgement call from engineering standpoint". Only actual measurements or specs from tire manufacturing companies would tell us the whole story. At one time a serviceman at Costco tire center had his tire measurements and shared with me, unless he pulled my legs

The amount of torque on these cars is deceptive. The twist on the drivetrain is instantaneous. It's also addictive. I don't THINK I'm pulling aggressively from a stoplight, but I'm ALWAYS ahead, by a big margin, from everyone behind me. I'm not trying to accelerate quickly, it has just become a habit. My family comments on it.

I'm actually surprised there aren't many (any?) complaints of drivetrain issues, because of the stress.

That said, it's not surprising that there have been so many complaints about OEM tires being worn out at 10k, 12k, 15k, especially from folk who have never had a high HP, high torque car.