Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Year Refresh: Owners' Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tilting display, being another one we are owed as it was clearly part of the launch sales campaign.
My understanding on the tilt screen is most of the complex hardware the actual arm is there even I think the connector/wire is there only thing which is missing is the Motors. So Why cannot tesla also just offer those motors and make it work.

As I remember there were rumors back in 2021 that the tilt function will work with a software update, No one knew until Sandy Munro Tear it down that the actual motors were missing..

My understanding on the tilt screen is most of the complex hardware the actual arm is there even I think the connector/wire is there only thing which is missing is the Motors. So Why cannot tesla also just offer those motors and make it work.

As I remember there were rumors back in 2021 that the tilt function will work with a software update, No one knew until Sandy Munro Tear it down that the actual motors were missing..
I feel as the motors and RAM are the same issue for Tesla, if they set a precedent of offering it for free to one person, 1000s of people will come asking, putting Tesla out of $100,000s of parts.

Despite the fact that we already paid for those announced features. They probably see it as a loss, and they more than likely do not care about us. Just like all the EOQ sales pushes to buff their numbers, it’s all about them and their perception of income.

I feel as the motors and RAM are the same issue for Tesla, if they set a precedent of offering it for free to one person, 1000s of people will come asking, putting Tesla out of $100,000s of parts.

Despite the fact that we already paid for those announced features. They probably see it as a loss, and they more than likely do not care about us. Just like all the EOQ sales pushes to buff their numbers, it’s all about them and their perception of income.
Agreed, loss or not though there should be a “get well” plan to maintain customer sat. The responses I’ve received are much of this not being approved by Telsa Engineering. I’d love to have a word with them…

Given the imminent miss on financials, it’s unlikely these things will be done for free, but if Tesla is smart they will offer update/upgrade packages for older model cars to bring them as current as possible. There is pent up demand there. It’s easy money on all older model cars and only requires more parts vs cars.

“Gate keeping” the Gateway vehicle configuration without any option to update or upgrade is the next battle ground on these cars on right to repair without going to some black/grey market programmer. I own the car but not the config? Utter bullshit. Suddenly my vehicle ownership has turned into a license that only Tesla can completely service and approve.

If they are going to create a problem, they should provide a solution too. Without resulting in a new title, new financing, new car…

Service center in the Bay Area said the same thing to me. One would think they would be the most up to date:

DBA2747B-55B5-42A4-9A34-0C4E746D087F.jpeg
9CDB7651-13F4-430E-BB3D-5221C6A54CC3.jpeg

Service center in the Bay Area said the same thing to me. One would think they would be the most up to date:

View attachment 889164View attachment 889165
Sad. Not worth to pay $2000 only for a steam deck in Tesla.
Could you please check with them if this computer upgrade come with swivel screen mechanism (be available to tilt after installation) at the back (same with 2022+ cars)? If so I think $2000 worth this.

I’m sick of reading posts like:
- you didn’t pay for the feature, it’s for new cars
- why do you even want steam?

Why are you defending Tesla so staunchly? Bruh. I PAID FOR THIS FEATURE. It was advertised to me, and DEMONSTRATED ON LAUNCH. Also, Tesla does not care about you. They don’t even know who you are. They do not need your defense.

It’s none of your business why I want it. I could literally want it just to show people the Steam tile on my screen, and it’s fair game because I ALREADY PAID FOR IT.

I’m gonna say it again for the people in the back. I paid for it.

But if you must know. I bought this car as a 26 year old in the tech industry. So it can’t be that hard to understand that I might really enjoy gaming, and want that available for all the times I’m stuck waiting somewhere in my car - which is often. Unless you literally cannot visualize a life perspective that isn’t yours.

I think there’s a lot of chicken-and-egg going on here and both sides are right.

Yes, Tesla usually issues bulletins a while after issues once they’ve got their .. stuff .. together, and they communicate poorly in the meantime.

But also, many of these bulletins were probably forced by legions of unhappy people complaining to SCs - and Tesla likely wouldn’t have budged without the pressure.

So it’s a bit circular. I believe an official policy needs to come, but I also believe pressure is needed. If it’s only a few folks affected and complaining, Tesla won’t do anything. Assuming Tesla is “sure to do the right thing” at this point is foolish. People should be polite and reasonable, but make sure Tesla is aware that this is an advertised feature that was promised at the time of purchase.

I have a mobile service appointment today (for something else), and I guarantee he’ll be surprised by the issue completely. The SC’s always seem to be the last to know. I’ll be sure to express my displeasure, but I’m not going to be a jerk about it.

At this point with this issue, the tilt, my console lights still being busted, and the usual FSD shenanigans.. I feel like I bought a pre-release prototype car. That’s not acceptable and Tesla shouldn’t be given a pass.

Last edited:
Tesla service and sales seem to be following the adage, things will get worse before they get better.

Really hoping the new Tesla Global CEO can put a qualified person in charge of CS.

Even if that happened tommorow, could take many months to address the tech issues and toxic culture that has been circling the drain for years now...

Reactions: jebinc
I got the $$1,825 plus $204 for labor estimate to get the 16GB upgrade. Anyone have screenshots of the website from late 2001 with statements that mention Steam can be played on our pre Feb 2022 Model S refresh vehicles? I want the upgrade, but really to have more storage on the SSD for Tidal music downloads.

I got the $$1,825 plus $204 for labor estimate to get the 16GB upgrade. Anyone have screenshots of the website from late 2001 with statements that mention Steam can be played on our pre Feb 2022 Model S refresh vehicles? I want the upgrade, but really to have more storage on the SSD for Tidal music downloads.
Late 2001 would be interesting.

But even if you had photos from 2021, service centers have basically thrown those aside. Look at all the deliveries with people demanding tilting screens, photos of the feature text and no retrofit.

Last edited: