Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Year Refresh: Owners' Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious how you guys are getting PDF quotes and cost estimates in the service app. Myself and others have had multiple service appointments flat out cancelled with SC stating retrofit is simply unavailable and not offered at this time, and to check the app in the future.
Maybe he has the update so they can’t use that as an excuse to cancel the appointment?

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
Once we all get this holiday update, we need to start putting together compilation of articles, videos, web archives, screen shots, etc. Then start with a petition and a BBB complaint. If Tesla chooses to give us the shaft, draft up a law suit.

I could build a high end gaming PC for $2,000. Not a chance I’m spending that on some garbage in car entertainment computer that runs Linux with a limited game gallery, especially after being promised something prior to spending $100k on this car.
Absolutely agree… I would sooner put that money towards a new 4090 card and gaming desktop build. Laughable!

I don’t remember ever getting a “free” upgrade in my other vehicles when the latest and greatest “toy” cones available. My Range Rover dealer wanted $350 to update my nav database each year. As a Tesla stock holder I don’t want them giving anything away for free.
You also didn’t spend $100k on a Range Rover with an expectation of free OTA updates being a thing that was marketed to uhm… sell more vehicles.

If Tesla had garbage canned software that never updated, I would’ve never got it. I like performance and technology. ICE vehicles aren’t disqualified from either of those categories.

It’s not giving anything away for free. It’s what was advertised. You and some other Tesla stock holders on here make me borderline hate you guys. Your personal financial gain clouds your judgement on what’s right. Pretty much a bunch of selfish vultures.

For a cost… nothing free
You also didn’t spend $100k on a Range Rover with an expectation of free OTA updates being a thing that was marketed to uhm… sell more vehicles.

If Tesla had garbage canned software that never updated, I would’ve never got it. I like performance and technology. ICE vehicles aren’t disqualified from either of those categories.

It’s not giving anything away for free. It’s what was advertised. You and some other Tesla stock holders on here make me borderline hate you guys. Your personal financial gain clouds your judgement on what’s right. Pretty much a bunch of selfish vultures.
i paid just shy of $100K for my RR… and when it was delivered it had all the bells/whistles “available at that time”… when the next years model came out it had better “bells/whistles”… I wasn’t crying like a petulant child asking for the new toys. If you had $100K to buy your MS then open up your wallet when they offer to upgrade for XX dollars… nothing free in life so get used to it.

This isn’t a software problem… it’s a hardware problem… your computer can’t handle the additional software.

For a cost… nothing free

i paid just shy of $100K for my RR… and when it was delivered it had all the bells/whistles “available at that time”… when the next years model came out it had better “bells/whistles”… I wasn’t crying like a petulant child asking for the new toys. If you had $100K to buy your MS then open up your wallet when they offer to upgrade for XX dollars… nothing free in life so get used to it.

This isn’t a software problem… it’s a hardware problem… your computer can’t handle the additional software.
Your logic is a bit flawed mate. In your RR situation, you bought a car and knew upfront that was all you were getting. In our situation, we were promised a future feature.

Kind of like you went out and bought a fully pre-built house, with all the rooms already constructed. You paid $500,000.

We went out and bought a house as well, but let’s say one of the walk in closets was still in the middle of construction. We were promised that by the end of 2024 (for example sake), that walk in closet would be completed and included in our costs. We also paid $500,000 upfront.

2024 rolls around and now they’re saying they’re charging us an extra $20,000 to complete the walk in closet.

This is what a lot of people fail to understand. We’re not asking for a brand new 2023 model S or any new bells and whistles. We’re asking for a feature that was promised upon purchase of our initial vehicle.

We’ll agree to disagree, because you seem to be rather annoying, uneducated, or both.

The price wasn’t a price comparison between both vehicles. It was a point that I spent that money, with rightful expectations of what’s advertised, aka OTA updates, console quality gaming, etc. When you bought your RR, you bought it with an expectation of you’ll get what you get and there will probably never be any updates.

Hardware limitations? Sounds like a Tesla problem. During the reveal it was made crystal clear that THE REFRESH will be able to have “console quality gaming.” It’s been 1.5 years, where is it? Is it false advertising? Bad marketing? Either way, it’s Tesla’s responsibility to make it right, else they shouldn’t have advertised it during the reveal.

What you fail to realize is that these expectations aren’t unreasonable. If someone was expecting the Model S to have features that will be in the Cyber Truck, or Roadster, or 2025 Plaid, well that would be unreasonable. Expecting what was announced at the reveal, is simply expecting what was promised for this specific model car in 2021.
Based on my experience with Tesla, they are going to eventually make us initial refresh owners whole. It might take a few months, or we might even have to "buy" the upgrade, but they will reimburse us once they realize what a$$holes they were not giving us the features promised when they sold us the cars.

We’ll agree to disagree, because you seem to be rather annoying, uneducated, or both.

The price wasn’t a price comparison between both vehicles. It was a point that I spent that money, with rightful expectations of what’s advertised, aka OTA updates, console quality gaming, etc. When you bought your RR, you bought it with an expectation of you’ll get what you get and there will probably never be any updates.

Hardware limitations? Sounds like a Tesla problem. During the reveal it was made crystal clear that THE REFRESH will be able to have “console quality gaming.” It’s been 1.5 years, where is it? Is it false advertising? Bad marketing? Either way, it’s Tesla’s responsibility to make it right, else they shouldn’t have advertised it during the reveal.

What you fail to realize is that these expectations aren’t unreasonable. If someone was expecting the Model S to have features that will be in the Cyber Truck, or Roadster, or 2025 Plaid, well that would be unreasonable. Expecting what was announced at the reveal, is simply expecting what was promised for this specific model car in 2021.

OTA updates can’t fix a shortfall in hardware… the expectation that you will receive free hardware because it was promised is asinine. Did your purchase contract say specifically you would be able to get new hardware when it was available? The answer is NO.

The problem is that people on here think that by paying $100K+ on a car gets you a car that is constantly upgraded with new tech. Reality is that software OTA updates does this very well… but hardware can’t be fixed OTA.

Your logic is a bit flawed mate. In your RR situation, you bought a car and knew upfront that was all you were getting. In our situation, we were promised a future feature.

Kind of like you went out and bought a fully pre-built house, with all the rooms already constructed. You paid $500,000.

We went out and bought a house as well, but let’s say one of the walk in closets was still in the middle of construction. We were promised that by the end of 2024 (for example sake), that walk in closet would be completed and included in our costs. We also paid $500,000 upfront.

2024 rolls around and now they’re saying they’re charging us an extra $20,000 to complete the walk in closet.

This is what a lot of people fail to understand. We’re not asking for a brand new 2023 model S or any new bells and whistles. We’re asking for a feature that was promised upon purchase of our initial vehicle.

I would agree if you are specifically talking about FSD… Tesla has done updates to hardware if it’s needed… and will continue as needed to make FSD a reality.

Regarding your construction analogy… sounds like you haven’t built many homes. If you fix price a home (with your closet example) then they are responsible to absorb any cost increases if materials for your closet goes up $20K… good luck finding a reputable builder to do this… they’d rather go bankrupt than absorb future increases in material. If you build a home like most do it gives you a build estimate with a current snapshot of costs to rough out and do final fittings… if the price for material/labor goes up over the 6 month build time then contractors/subs don’t absorb it… you pay the difference or a percentage of the difference. If you want to buy some cookie cutter thrown up house in two months you might be able to get a fixed price because the builder can secure materials Immediately… but not the norm for a home that takes 6+ months to build.

Good luck with your hope of getting some free hardware for anything not related to FSD… you’ll need a Xmas miracle. I’m done with this thread… Tired of going back and forth with buyers with unrealistic expectations.

Last edited:
OTA updates can’t fix a shortfall in hardware… the expectation that you will receive free hardware because it was promised is asinine. Did your purchase contract say specifically you would be able to get new hardware when it was available? The answer is NO.

The problem is that people on here think that by paying $100K+ on a car gets you a car that is constantly upgraded with new tech. Reality is that software OTA updates does this very well… but hardware can’t be fixed OTA.

What does price have to do with it? You're missing the argument completely, which makes your continued statements around this ignorant.

My expectations are pretty realistic. I want the car to have and do what it was promised to have and do during the reveal. I don’t expect it to do what they might announce next year for the 2024 model.

(Hypothetical situation) If during the reveal they said that my 2021 car would do 0-60 in 3.1 seconds but on delivery it did 0-60 in 4.1 seconds, I would expect a software or hardware update to increase my 0-60 time. I would NOT expect it to have 0-60 time of a 2023 model.

This concept of expectations for promised things is rather simple.

IMO - Tesla needs to do this retrofit free of charge.

1) - Clearly says PS5 Level gaming system..
2) - Than they showcased on delivery event playing CyberPunk2077
3) - Not only that some of those titles were also on the order page when we placed the order..
4) Elon himself said on the day of delivery event that the car can play Cyberpunk2077 on it.. (If people who thinks this should be paid retrofit would like to remind you delivery event was in 2021 not in 2022).

Oh and people who said do you have this in writing or contract, Does tesla has this in writing anywhere that this needs a additional paid hardware upgrade to work on the order page ? This is misleading/false advertising than..

Last edited:
IMO - Tesla needs to do this retrofit free of charge.

1) - Clearly says PS5 Level gaming system..
2) - Than they showcased on delivery event playing CyberPunk2077
3) - Not only that some of those titles were also on the order page when we placed the order..
4) Elon himself said on the day of delivery event that the car can play Cyberpunk2077 on it.. (If people who thinks this should not be paid to remind you delivery event was in 2021 not in 2022).

Oh and people who said do you have this in writing or contract, Does tesla has this on writing anywhere that this needs a additional paid hardware upgrade to work on the order page ? This is misleading/false advertising than..
So, where do we start to submit a complaint?

So, where do we start to submit a complaint?
I am not sure where to start but I hope tesla makes this right, if not than hoping someone here can give that guidance I will sign up as well :)
I am thinking once we do get the Software update and not see steam start with SC appointment. If they ask for $2k speak to there managers and if that does no go anywhere than we all need to get together and start pulling the right strings to make this happen.

Reactions: Ramphex