Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Models Building Soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jpfive

Supporting Member
Oct 31, 2019
Pensacola, FL
When I ordered my Model 3 in November of last year, 2020 models were already being delivered. Mine was a 2020, built the first week of December, 2019. The VIN tells the tale. Count back eight places from the end of the VIN. That character represents the Model Year. For 2020 the character is an "L". 2021 models will likely have an "M". My Model Y may build this month. Would be nice to have it a 2021. It doesn't necessarily indicate a change in the product itself - especially with Tesla - but is just a convention of the numbering system. Domestic manufacturers often begin the swap around this time each year.

This has been discussed at length. The consensus seems to be that Tesla rarely makes the switch ahead of time, probably because the actual changes to the vehicles are made incrementally. I don't think anyone here knows whether or not 2021 MYs will be delivered before 1/1/21.

Reactions: DanCar
This has been discussed at length. The consensus seems to be that Tesla rarely makes the switch ahead of time, probably because the actual changes to the vehicles are made incrementally. I don't think anyone here knows whether or not 2021 MYs will be delivered before 1/1/21.

Yes it has. And here I am discussing it once again, just as I was this time last year in the Model 3 section. Why? It matters to me as a consumer who has a new vehicle on order, the same last November with my 3 as now with my Y. Certainly it is not an earth shaking concern, but it does matter. In a year's time that little character will make a difference in the retail and wholesale value of my rolling piece of property - maybe even more than a few dollars. All things equal, a car rolling off the assembly line this week as a 2020 will be worth less than a model rolling off the same line next week as a 2021. Therefore it is a subject worthy of conjecture - at least to me if not to you. Plus it is a curious thing don't you think? One of those little mysteries that intrigue an old retired guy like me. I would really like to know how that decision is made. Is there guidance from the FTC, a loose convention voluntarily followed by competing manufacturers, or just a marketing strategy subject to some rather broad constraints? You are very correct, however, that it has nothing necessarily to do with actual product changes or improvements. Still, I would like to know. :)

If they can hand over my Model Y now I'll gladly let them call it a 2019 ;)

LOL. I felt the same way last year. I was on fire to get my 3. Dumb luck it came in as a 2020. Now is different. I am anxious to get the Y, but I still own the 3 to get my daily Tesla fix. However, I won't be holding up on taking delivery over a model year question. I will likely own the Y for a good many happy miles - or until I can no longer drive, whichever comes first. :(

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
In the old days of building S/X the VIN switch over usually happened for cars built around mid December. With the 3/Y it seems that it may happen a little sooner. I suspect the higher volumes have something to do with it. My guess is that the forecasters project how many cars they can build by December-ish and register that many VINs for the old year and then start with the new VINs. Since there are no differences in the cars between the old and new years they switch over for each model whenever they run out of old VINs.

Tesla don’t do model years. They are just built in one year or the other.

Actually they do, if not by choice. They are required to identify their vehicles with a unique VIN. This VIN, in addition to identifying the car, carries encoded information, one of those tidbits being the model year. It may be different in Old Blighty, but trade agreements rule.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
In the old days of building S/X the VIN switch over usually happened for cars built around mid December. With the 3/Y it seems that it may happen a little sooner. I suspect the higher volumes have something to do with it. My guess is that the forecasters project how many cars they can build by December-ish and register that many VINs for the old year and then start with the new VINs. Since there are no differences in the cars between the old and new years they switch over for each model whenever they run out of old VINs.

A plausible conjecture there. The differences between manufacturers is what intrigues me. My second career was as a partner in an automotive dealership. I have seen model years change as early as September - except of course for the old mid-year switcheroo. Anybody else here remember the 64 1/2 Mustang?

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Vegas888 what took you so long? I knew you’d be in here commenting! Seeing as I got delayed from 9/30 I just might get one of those new fangled 2021 model years! Doesn’t 2021 production start in October? ;)

Nobody cares of those things,numbers, and nobody cares about Teslas way of doing it.

Its just a simple business .

Private sale, Carvana, Carmax and even Tesla , they all just want production year first when it comes to trade in / sale.

In 3 years you will want to trade your MY for new toy, with almost double of range and space shuttle technology.

Why not have 5-10k extra in your pocket/trade in value?

Just look at M3 price difference . 2018 model

Reactions: NY_Rob and jpfive