Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Models Building Soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually they do, if not by choice. They are required to identify their vehicles with a unique VIN. This VIN, in addition to identifying the car, carries encoded information, one of those tidbits being the model year. It may be different in Old Blighty, but trade agreements rule.
Yes but what does it actually mean differently to the car? My assumption is nothing at all.

Reactions: Kelr316
Yes but what does it actually mean differently to the car? My assumption is nothing at all.

Nothing, necessarily, at least for Tesla. For most manufacturers there are definite changes, more in some years than in others. The one impact that just is - the effect on residual value going forward. Nothing fair about that in Tesla's case. If Tesla's practice of continual, unannounced, design and production improvements becomes the norm, then perhaps we can migrate to production date rather than model year. Cheers!

Tesla don’t do model years.

I hear this often, and it makes sense, due to their ability to quickly iterate - which is a massive advantage they have over the Big 3. I was thinking the only reason they declare model years are for DMVs and police departments, so they can account for them like major manufacturers in state DMV systems.

Reactions: jpfive
We plan to keep our MY for a while and we’re happy to have a 2020 VIN. The way vehicle tax are handled here in MA, a 2021 year would have been about $500 more over the next 8-10 years. Most likely some insurance savings also. Not sure how much the trade in difference will be in 10 years on a 2020 vs 2021 with about 150k miles on it.

• Informative
Reactions: jpfive
i called the main call center about the new center console of the Model 3 and asked if my recently assigned Model Y would be getting this. They pulled up electrek and didnt know anything about it. I'd really like the MY to get the new glass!

Last edited:
I've never understood the practice of designating a vehicle "model year XXXX" when it wasn't built in that year. The changeover date should be Jan 1.

I understand the rationale: a car built in December won't arrive at a dealership until January, but will be "one year older" than a car built just a few days later. But if we can ignore reality when inconvenient, why bother with the pretense at all? Why not just make them all "2035 models"? Woo hoo, it'll still be brand-new when I trade it in!

As I understand it, the year model thing among traditional automakers is driven by government regulations and marketing. A 2021 vehicle has to meet certain regulations that come into effect on 1/1/2021 - thus they year model 2021 meets the 2021 regulations. From a marketing standpoint, if someone will pay a little more for a 2021 in late 2020, why not claim the extra cash?

I've never understood the practice of designating a vehicle "model year XXXX" when it wasn't built in that year. The changeover date should be Jan 1.

I understand the rationale: a car built in December won't arrive at a dealership until January, but will be "one year older" than a car built just a few days later. But if we can ignore reality when inconvenient, why bother with the pretense at all? Why not just make them all "2035 models"? Woo hoo, it'll still be brand-new when I trade it in!
Q4 is usually the lowest sales quarter for the Auto industry for a wide range of reasons. Releasing "All-New" and "New Model Year" vehicles during these months help them boost sales. Just marketing