Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MS 19” Tempest Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long before delivery have people been receiving their VINs? I had an estimated delivery of 9/13-9/30 that got moved to 9/2-9/16 yesterday not sure if I should get excited or brace for disappointment.
Might need a bit of a tighter window - maybe seven days. And then you could get a VIN. Someone yesterday went from 10 days of 9/8 - 9/28 then to 9/1 - 9/8. Then they got a VIN last night. So maybe you could in the next couple of days given 9/2 as the start of your estimated delivery date. But You might need it to tighten up.

Difference is they were "Bay Area", which is 30 minutes from the factory. Not sure where you are in California, that could require a day or so of logistics (truck). All in all, could see it go both ways.

Might need a bit of a tighter window - maybe seven days. And then you could get a VIN. Someone yesterday went from 10 days of 9/8 - 9/28 then to 9/1 - 9/8. Then they got a VIN last night. So maybe you could in the next couple of days given 9/2 as the start of your estimated delivery date. But You might need it to tighten up.

Difference is they were "Bay Area", which is 30 minutes from the factory. Not sure where you are in California, that could require a day or so of logistics (truck). All in all, could see it go both ways.
As disappointing as that is to hear I appreciate the insight. Just waiting for the limbo to end.

Reactions: cwanja
How long before delivery have people been receiving their VINs? I had an estimated delivery of 9/13-9/30 that got moved to 9/2-9/16 yesterday not sure if I should get excited or brace for disappointment.
Alright, mine just got real as well! I think we're in the same boat @Nickie. My status just moved yesterday from 9/12-30 to 9/2-12. I'm picking up at Fremont and no VIN yet. I have a base MSLR ordered 3/11/21. I just applied/approved at BofA this morning and I'm set.

My order has FSD, but I'm going to drop it after I get my VIN and buy it outside my loan to keep it out of my registration fee (CA vehicle property tax).

This *sugar* is getting real!

Alright, mine just got real as well! I think we're in the same boat @Nickie. My status just moved yesterday from 9/12-30 to 9/2-12. I'm picking up at Fremont and no VIN yet. I have a base MSLR ordered 3/11/21. I just applied/approved at BofA this morning and I'm set.

My order has FSD, but I'm going to drop it after I get my VIN and buy it outside my loan to keep it out of my registration fee (CA vehicle property tax).

Dropping FSD after getting VIN is a great idea. The sales tax here is close to 10% plus we have to pay property tax. By doing what you are suggesting one could save $1,000+. The only risk is if Tesla decides to increase the price of FSD in the interim period.

How long does it take to get FSD loaded after you pay for it? Also where do you buy FSD?

Reactions: T-Racer
Dropping FSD after getting VIN is a great idea. The sales tax here is close to 10% plus we have to pay property tax. By doing what you are suggesting one could save $1,000+. The only risk is if Tesla decides to increase the price of FSD in the interim period.

How long does it take to get FSD loaded after you pay for it? Also where do you buy FSD?
I think you buy it via the app.

Have you confirmed they will not change the price on you by dropping FSD?
Now that is just a downright cynical comment... That would defy all logic. Who do you think we're dealing with here?
Doh... I better check! Seriously though, I have a pretty high confidence that it won't. My intent is to discuss my strategy with my SA and get them on the hook with me on this.

One other thing that defies logic is Tesla leasing. Since the residual is calculated based upon the MSRP, and the MSRP went up $10K but my purchase price did not change, the lease should have gotten much cheaper. However, not with a Tesla lease. They use the old MSRP to calculate residual. So that caused me to change to a finance. We're essentially getting more equity in the car, so the purchase is better.

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: cwanja and KyleDay
Now that is just a downright cynical comment... That would defy all logic. Who do you think we're dealing with here?
Doh... I better check! Seriously though, I have a pretty high confidence that it won't. My intent is to discuss my strategy with my SA and get them on the hook with me on this.

One other thing that defies logic is Tesla leasing. Since the residual is calculated based upon the MSRP, and the MSRP went up $10K but my purchase price did not change, the lease should have gotten much cheaper. However, not with a Tesla lease. They use the old MSRP to calculate residual. So that caused me to change to a finance. We're essentially getting more equity in the car, so the purchase is better.
Wait, what do you mean with the lease thing? I plan to buy after my lease is over, assuming I like the car of course, so I want the lower residual value. But I'm not following why you changed to finance?

Yes, picked up Wednesday, drove it 33 miles home and then dropped off at detailer for PPF/ceramic/tint on Thursday. I thought the ride was great, not noisy at all, but my frame of reference is a Honda Accord. Lol. I’m still working with post-delivery tech on whether I got the correct tires. See attached. I’m thinking you were asking about performance though, and with so few miles, I’m afraid I’m not much help yet.
Still no resolution on 19” summer vs AS. Tesla supposedly had a meeting on Monday but nothing really to report yet.

Attachments

• 99EB5285-C0AC-4949-9239-4476C42C0D09.jpeg
    99EB5285-C0AC-4949-9239-4476C42C0D09.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 62
  • 0336E2E3-4442-4154-B9E3-C4F6E5541AEE.jpeg
    0336E2E3-4442-4154-B9E3-C4F6E5541AEE.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: Jabbahop and cwanja

Good to hear, I'm in Vermont with RN11473 MSLR White 19 order 4/1/21 9/3-9-17 stable for 2 weeks No VIN

Reactions: Jabbahop
Wait, what do you mean with the lease thing? I plan to buy after my lease is over, assuming I like the car of course, so I want the lower residual value. But I'm not following why you changed to finance?
Well, in your scenario it wouldn't make much difference once you complete the buyout. But a higher residual lowers the "rent" that you pay during the lease period. The biggest component of a lease payment is the difference between the net capitalized cost (the purchase price less down and trade-in) and the residual. So a higher residual significantly lowers your payments. But of course that increases your ultimate buyout cost if you buy it out.

I calculated my cost for a 3 year lease and a 3 year finance and compared it with 6 years of financing. It cost $4,300 more to do the lease first. But given the relatively low residual value in the lease as offered by Tesla, there was no longer a potential benefit of walking away in the end. I say that because the $10K increase in MSRP didn't get reflected in the residual and therefore doesn't reflect in the Tesla calculation of the estimated resale value in 3 years. So unless I want to bet that a $90K car today will be worth less than $44K in 3 years, leasing makes no sense to me.

Reactions: VikH and deadwynter
Well, in your scenario it wouldn't make much difference once you complete the buyout. But a higher residual lowers the "rent" that you pay during the lease period. The biggest component of a lease payment is the difference between the net capitalized cost (the purchase price less down and trade-in) and the residual. So a higher residual significantly lowers your payments. But of course that increases your ultimate buyout cost if you buy it out.

I calculated my cost for a 3 year lease and a 3 year finance and compared it with 6 years of financing. It cost $4,300 more to do the lease first. But given the relatively low residual value in the lease as offered by Tesla, there was no longer a potential benefit of walking away in the end. I say that because the $10K increase in MSRP didn't get reflected in the residual and therefore doesn't reflect in the Tesla calculation of the estimated resale value in 3 years. So unless I want to bet that a $90K car today will be worth less than $44K in 3 years, leasing makes no sense to me.
That makes total sense! I've gone back and forth a ton, but keeping my payments a bit lower upfront is kinda nice. Thanks for the explanation!

Reactions: T-Racer
That makes total sense! I've gone back and forth a ton, but keeping my payments a bit lower upfront is kinda nice. Thanks for the explanation!
I was going to lease, but a loan payment was almost the same payment as the lease. Also Tesla doesn't have a great interest rate on their leases (money factor is much higher than most luxury cars). So I ended up going with a loan myself.

I was going to lease, but a loan payment was almost the same payment as the lease. Also Tesla doesn't have a great interest rate on their leases (money factor is much higher than most luxury cars). So I ended up going with a loan myself.
Well, at least when I did the comparison the payment is about = between 6 year finance and 3 year lease if you don't accept the default big down payment. You can click on "customize payment" on the order page for a new build (just above where they ask for payment) and set both the lease and finance to $0 down.