Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MS Chademo issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two friends of mine have tried charging their new Model S Plaid with Tesla’s CHAdeMO adapter and it doesn't work.

I believe it might be related to this firmware update.

Did you tried updating yours? Did it work?

Do you know if you can do the update remotely or only at service centers?

Two friends of mine have tried charging their new Model S Plaid with Tesla’s CHAdeMO adapter and it doesn't work.

I believe it might be related to this firmware update.

Did you tried updating yours? Did it work?

Do you know if you can do the update remotely or only at service centers?
Ya I spoke too soon, an update and even a brand new adapter didn't work. I even have a CCS adapter and it doesn't work. Tesla reached out to me and they are aware of the problem

I've got 2021.44.6 and just tried the Chademo and a Volta DCFC with a Lectron CCS adapter and neither work.
Oh, the Lectron CCS uses the same protocol as the CHAdeMO adapter... So if the former doesn't work, the latter wouldn't either.

I believe Tesla might be counting on their new CCS Adapter moving forward, sou they might have ditched CHAdeMO support for new cars altogether.

Have you taken your CHAdeMO adapter to a Tesla Service Center for a firmware update, as some people have suggested? (They were talking about the internal firmware inside the adapter, not the car software)

Oh, the Lectron CCS uses the same protocol as the CHAdeMO adapter... So if the former doesn't work, the latter wouldn't either.

I believe Tesla might be counting on their new CCS Adapter moving forward, sou they might have ditched CHAdeMO support for new cars altogether.

Have you taken your CHAdeMO adapter to a Tesla Service Center for a firmware update, as some people have suggested? (They were talking about the internal firmware inside the adapter, not the car software)
Yep I have two chademo adapters. One from 2017 and 2021. Both were updated at the SC in October.

I don't know if this will help, but I plug the Chademo adapter in to the car first, then close the doors and lock the car with my fob. Then I connect the Chademo plug from the charger and activate the session from the charger and that works for me just about 100% of the time. I have a 2013 S and a 2018 3.

I don't know if this will help, but I plug the Chademo adapter in to the car first, then close the doors and lock the car with my fob. Then I connect the Chademo plug from the charger and activate the session from the charger and that works for me just about 100% of the time. I have a 2013 S and a 2018 3.
On my refreshed S, I could charge via the ChaDeMo when the SOC is low. Today, it worked when SOC wss 22% at start of charging. It stopped charging at 49%. Charge rate was 40 KW. Running 2022.8.