Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MS LR+ rattling sound upon hard acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I just noticed a really bad rattling sound in my car when accelerating really hard from stop or a slow start. It also kind of feels like a bit a vibration is happening and sometimes it sounds/feels like it coming from the front and other times from the rear.

I know there are several posts about this but from what I’ve seen this problem was supposed to be resolved in the newer models. I’ve only had the car about 7 weeks. I made a service appointment but curious if anyone else has experienced this. I uploaded a video where you can hear the sound on YouTube below.

I have a 2020 LR+ that has been making that exact same sound when I accelerate hard from stop or a slow speed as well. I have been dragging my feet on making a service appointment due to lack of time and the car has been otherwise perfect. Please post back after the service appointment.

That sounds exactly like the common “shudder” issue plaguing all Model S/X with air suspensions. I described mine as a rattle or vibration too. Service Center has replaced both front half-shafts TWICE but I still experience faint shudder during moderate to hard acceleration, not as bad as earlier versions of the half-shafts. Ours is a 2019 Raven S with the redesigned air suspension (same as 2021).

That sounds exactly like the common “shudder” issue plaguing all Model S/X with air suspensions. I described mine as a rattle or vibration too. Service Center has replaced both front half-shafts TWICE but I still experience faint shudder during moderate to hard acceleration, not as bad as earlier versions of the half-shafts. Ours is a 2019 Raven S with the redesigned air suspension (same as 2021).

so it's back but faint now? i think i have a faint rattle as well, but don't want to keep running it hard in case it worsens like the others

so it's back but faint now? i think i have a faint rattle as well, but don't want to keep running it hard in case it worsens like the others

Yes. After my first half-shaft replacement in December 2019, the shudder returned by March 2020 but I didn’t bring it in until October 2020 due to the pandemic. Tech confirmed it was shudder again but initially wanted to adjust tire pressures, which of course didn’t solve the issue.

They replaced it in October with the latest revisions and I went easy on the car the first month to let parts break-in. I haven’t don’t any hard launches but started hearing a faint shudder during moderate acceleration when merging onto the freeway or trying to pass someone — situations where full power isn’t really required. I plan to just live with it for now and maybe take it back in when I’m closer to the end of warranty in 2023.

My 2020 LR+ is currently at the service center for the same issue with 4,500 miles on the odometer. Rep said they can replace the half shafts as a temporary fix, but they're still awaiting a long term fix from engineering.

My 2020 LR+ with 12k miles sounds exactly like that. I don’t drive it hard at all but it was a test drive car when I bought it with 1200 miles so it was most likely driven harder in the beginning. I have a service appt in a couple weeks so we’ll see how it gets addressed.

Well after driving all the way to the service center and letting the tech hear the sound I was told that this sound was completely normal with hard acceleration from a complete stop especially if the car is cold. He said it’s not bad for the vehicle and he then went into a long physics explanation about torque, horse power, and pressure. Said nothing could be done to avoid it.

It’s called the death shudder (sounds worst than it is). It if you search the forum there is a big thread on here about this. I have an appointment today for my 2020 LR today let’s see if they give me the fix or the BS answer of its Normal

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
My 2019 Raven Performance makes the same sound. I had appointment last week to have half shafts replaced (they even preordered the parts). Unfortunately, the SC brain trust on that day decided my car's sounds were normal. Didn't meet their threshold. So, I was rejected.

On to fight for the repair another day...

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot