Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MS LR+ rattling sound upon hard acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have to ask... I'm assuming this was the Rocklin SC that made this decision ? It sounds like they're trying to overturn the election... so to speak.

This is very surprising. I use the Rocklin SC too and they’ve never given me any pushback on repairs. In addition to replacing both front half-shafts, twice, they also helped repaint my side mirrors and A-pillar five weeks after I took delivery. I love the service team at the Rocklin SC, and Ashley, Rico, Matt are all top notch.

Reactions: vapor trail
This is very surprising. I use the Rocklin SC too and they’ve never given me any pushback on repairs. In addition to replacing both front half-shafts, twice, they also helped repaint my side mirrors and A-pillar five weeks after I took delivery. I love the service team at the Rocklin SC, and Ashley, Rico, Matt are all top notch.
It's good you have had better experiences with them.

What model and year do you own ?

It's good you have had better experiences with them.

What model and year do you own ?

2019 Raven S Standard Range. Rocklin SC also sent mobile ranger to my home a few months ago to replace both headlight assemblies due to DRL partly burning out. Basically, in my 4-5 visits, every issue has been addressed and taken care of without a problem. I will update this thread if my experience changes going forward, but so far it’s been great service.

2019 Raven S Standard Range. Rocklin SC also sent mobile ranger to my home a few months ago to replace both headlight assemblies due to DRL partly burning out. Basically, in my 4-5 visits, every issue has been addressed and taken care of without a problem. I will update this thread if my experience changes going forward, but so far it’s been great service.
That's good you've done better with them.

Things turned really South for me when my car passed the 4-year mark. I have the extended warranty, but Tesla corporate and Rocklin have become expert in providing explanations why certain maladies aren't covered by warranty.

It's a little scary you've had to have the half-shafts replaced 2x already.

That's good you've done better with them.

Things turned really South for me when my car passed the 4-year mark. I have the extended warranty, but Tesla corporate and Rocklin have become expert in providing explanations why certain maladies aren't covered by warranty.

It's a little scary you've had to have the half-shafts replaced 2x already.

That is very disappointing that they’ve tried to deny you valid warranty claims.

Yes, it is unfortunate the shudder issue still has not been cleared up but it is a long known issue with S/X. I am not too bothered by it because the latest parts only produce a faint shudder sound and it doesn’t affect safety or drive ability much. I plan to report the shudder issue once more before warranty runs out. Hopefully by then there will be a permanent solution.

Yup, mine too (2020 LR)! I had the half-shaft replacement a couple of months ago and so far no more noise. I don't really drive it super-hard, though, and really never fully "launch" it unless I'm showing it off to someone who's never ridden in a Tesla (just to see their expression!).

I did decide to leave my suspension on the Low setting all the time, which I think might reduce the likelihood of the clattering sound. Anyway, so far so good! I have the 4-year extended warranty, so I'm good for over another 7 years, and I'm not too concerned.

In Texas and I think I have this also in my 2017. Have an appointment next week to get it checked out with a couple other minor things. Want to verify it is not something else that may be broken as I have started driving with less acceleration just in case. Will let you know what the Plano SC says. Not looking forward to the service charge though.

In Texas and I think I have this also in my 2017. Have an appointment next week to get it checked out with a couple other minor things. Want to verify it is not something else that may be broken as I have started driving with less acceleration just in case. Will let you know what the Plano SC says. Not looking forward to the service charge though.

You may want to bring a copy of the service bulletin with you.

Reactions: JoeCW
Well after driving all the way to the service center and letting the tech hear the sound I was told that this sound was completely normal with hard acceleration from a complete stop especially if the car is cold. He said it’s not bad for the vehicle and he then went into a long physics explanation about torque, horse power, and pressure. Said nothing could be done to avoid it.

Pressure? Pressure from his/her boss perhaps.

Exasperating that Tesla doesn't durability test better/longer . . . .

Yup. Everyone gets excited when there is a 0.5s 0-60 improvement because it can and they expect it for free because the motors are the same. There is a higher warranty cost due to more performance. Esp without more durability testing.

First, note that the SB DOES apply to your pre-Raven Model S. Best to print it out and hand it to your service adviser.

Second, why would there be a service charge to fix this? This should be a warranty repair, no?

My 2019 Raven Performance makes the same sound. I had appointment last week to have half shafts replaced (they even preordered the parts). Unfortunately, the SC brain trust on that day decided my car's sounds were normal. Didn't meet their threshold. So, I was rejected.

On to fight for the repair another day...

It's not a sound. That is not Covered by Warranty. It's a vibration.

It's not a sound. That is not Covered by Warranty. It's a vibration.

And per the warranty, work on the car must be performed using the proper procedures, parts and tools.

I am sure if you fixed this yourself, and something went wrong, they would try to pin it on you.

So, the SvC needs to follow the approved guidance of the SB as outlined here:

Recieved consumer complaint

Verify issue exists

Replace Clevis per SB.

END OF STORY!

Same exact shudder I have experienced on EVERY dual motor Tesla I have driven. Our 2018 X has it. The 2016 one had it. Been in at least 8 loaner cars and ALL (some 75D, some 100D) had it.

i don’t know why people are complaining so much about other items. This seems like a pretty big problem that owners have been dealing with for atleast 3 years now.

Of all the Tesla’s I’ve driven my 2013 P85+ still drives best and quietest. Since there’s no sunroof option available and I don’t feel like being a chassis beta tester for future cybertruck and roadster people (that’s all the new model S is BTW), guess I’ll be keeping that car even longer.

First, note that the SB DOES apply to your pre-Raven Model S. Best to print it out and hand it to your service adviser.

Second, why would there be a service charge to fix this? This should be a warranty repair, no?

Correct, should not be a service charge IF the rattle is determined to be a warranty item. The pessimistic side of me says there are 2 ways they can charge me 1) they cannot reproduce the noise 2) they reproduce it but it is not classified as warranty.

The SC in Plano, TX is generally pretty good though.