Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Mustang Mach 1 vs. Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love Mustangs. Great cars with great heritage. I even became a certified National Mustang Club of America (MCA) car show judge. I now drive a '21 Model 3 Performance. You don't know how hard it is not to go drop this over on the Mustang forums to watch the heads explode. ;)

Tim

Reactions: 1100MCM and 1.21GW
I love Mustangs. Great cars with great heritage. I even became a certified National Mustang Club of America (MCA) car show judge. I now drive a '21 Model 3 Performance. You don't know how hard it is not to go drop this over on the Mustang forums to watch the heads explode. ;)

Tim
Yeah, I decided against posting it on the mustang forum as well… it was all in good fun. I was actually surprised how quick the mustang was!

however, if there isn’t drag strip levels of traction, the Tesla will win every time. Later in the night as the temps got colder, a number of the vehicles were having trouble hooking up and I kept running my 11.9x times over and over

Reactions: byeLT4 and TBrownTX
Performance the camera would have to have been pointed back instead of straight out to the side lol.

Model 3 sure is a beast; 4wd and instant torque go a LONG way
Yeah, I knew what kind of times he was running ahead of the race, so I knew it would be close and should point the camera directly to the side.

You are right, a performance would have left a pretty good gap. If it was 0.5 seconds quicker, the gap would be approximately 85 feet

Reactions: TBrownTX
Motor Trend just published a comparison of the Mach-E and the Model Y. The Tesla won on several accounts, but apparently the Mach-E could catch up with a few improvements...
Assuming Elon just forgets about that he’s projecting to be the worlds most popular car and doesn’t upgrade it whatsoever.

Reality? The range is a huge difference combined with charging infrastructure and how much more reliable the home charges are (so far) they have a very long way to go.

I agree. EV to EV is going to be the big showdown.

That said, I don’t think Ford will be the competition. Ford has a long history of making great cars and total and complete lemons.

Make no mistake; the F150 is and has been a workhorse. The mustang has had its up and downs; I think the 5.0L platform has been a big up. Their V8s are pretty darn good. But that’s irrelevant when coming into the EBV market.

But their endeavors into lux and pseudolux haven’t been amazing. Their tech never quite cuts it. Great on paper, but lagging far behind GM and the Europeans. It’s just... well... Ford. It surprised me zero that they would have issues with the charging etc.

I think the big competition is going to come from VW/Audi/Porsche motors group, and I bet GM makes a big splash in the future. Wouldn’t surprise me if they end up with a filthy Corvette EV in the future and have a midsized SUV with long range.

Don’t get me wrong. I do think the newer mustangs are really nice; so are their trucks. But the rest of the line has been blah for decades and they aren’t a company I equate to technology. If you are going to make EBVs work; that has to be the number one priority.

Don’t get me wrong. I do think the newer mustangs are really nice; so are their trucks. But the rest of the line has been blah for decades and they aren’t a company I equate to technology. If you are going to make EBVs work; that has to be the number one priority.

I agree, but I will say their SYNC System is way better than anything Chevy has, I've had the privilege of owning both systems, Fords is superior.

I also agree with you on Fords failures with Luxury and Tech, which is why I said the Mach -E would have been better off as a Lincoln.

I’m not worried about what companies will and won’t be successful with EVs, the main point is that the bar is high. So if others want to compete, it means better cars for all of us to choose from.

as for the Mustang Mach 1, I think it’s the best compromise of all the mustangs. The GT500 is the best, but $$

either way, I won’t be trading in my Tesla for one