Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MX 13K miles need new front tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any advice on how to find the problem? Tesla service just wants to replace the tires, I will do it with Costco as it is cheaper.
Maybe add some pictures from a couple angles that show tread on the inside and outside. example:
oaS7VEg.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Marty3SR+
I'm no expert, but I can only think of a few causes: a lot of hard braking, or something with the rear motor, or possibly misalignment of the front wheels.

I think braking uses the front wheels a lot more than the rear. And, as we know, front-wheel drive cars wear the front tires a lot, but I'd think the MX would use rear the most for acceleration unless there's something strange going on with the rear motor.

I'm not that familiar with the MX; is there any setting for FWD or RWD?

I'm no expert, but I can only think of a few causes: a lot of hard braking, or something with the rear motor, or possibly misalignment of the front wheels.

I think braking uses the front wheels a lot more than the rear. And, as we know, front-wheel drive cars wear the front tires a lot, but I'd think the MX would use rear the most for acceleration unless there's something strange going on with the rear motor.

I'm not that familiar with the MX; is there any setting for FWD or RWD?

This is a bad alignment or premature suspension bushing failure. It has nothing to do with the drive unit or braking.

Tire pressure is 45 on all 4 tires

Rear (like new)
View attachment 824769
Front right (95% done)
View attachment 824770
Front left (90% done)
View attachment 824772

Typically the X has premature rear tire wear from aggressive toe. You have outside tire wear (if I'm looking at the photos correctly). Bad toe is the most likely culprit, since it's unlikely you have extreme positive camber. Get an alignment and post the before and after sheet.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Typically the X has premature rear tire wear from aggressive toe. You have outside tire wear (if I'm looking at the photos correctly). Bad toe is the most likely culprit, since it's unlikely you have extreme positive camber. Get an alignment and post the before and after sheet.
I'm replacing all 4 tires next week, while replacing them they (Costco) will do an alignment, right? or i need to take it to Tesla for ir?

I'm replacing all 4 tires next week, while replacing them they (Costco) will do an alignment, right? or i need to take it to Tesla for ir?

Any big brand alignment shop will align to "spec". Whether they're at the extremes is kind of up to them (same with Tesla). Basically, Costco will be fine. Tesla is probably going to charge you quite a bit more. There's not much room for adjustment, so there's no need to go to a specialty shop IMO (unless you have aftermarket camber and toe parts). One stop shop for tires and alignment is for sure more convenient.

Reactions: scottf200 and Sonus
Costco does not do alignments. Tesla can do it as well as most automotive repair and tire shops.

I am guessing that with the OEM rear tires showing minimal wear after 13k miles, you may be able to get at least an additional 20-30k miles from them. If that is the case, and you want to save money, I would replace just the front tires with OEM tires (which are not sold at Costco).

Last edited:
I just had the front tires replaced on my model x, the first set of OEM tires wore out about 30K and I had the service center replace them. Right now just the front tires at 57K, the rear ones are fine. It was a alignment problem, I have Big O tires here in the SF Bay Area replace them and align them, they were quite a ways off. I guess the SC did not do that good of a job.