Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ MX tires questions - anyone doing same size for all 4 tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this has been asked before but the refreshed Model X's have staggered rims.
20" Cyberstreams are 20x9.0" Front with 265/45/20 tires and 20x10" Rear with 275/45/20 tires.

Question 1) Assume, as part of the staggered setup, you cannot rotate the tires, is that right?
Question 2) At replacement time, can you not just install 1 tire size (i.e. 265/45/20) on all 4 rims?

Thanks!

I am considering replacing the 265/45-20 front and 275/45-20 rear with 255/50-20 so I can rotate tires and provide a softer ride. I have used Pirelli Verde A/S plus II twice and normally get around 50,000 miles before replacing. I do mostly highway driving, very little city. The improve series is the plus III. The 255 have a load rating of 109XL, V speed rating, 30.08 in diameter. The diameter of the 265 is 29.39 in and 275 is 29.74 in. I think the parameters are acceptable. Anyone considered the 255/50-20? See any draw backs?

1) correct, Staggered wheels cannot be rotated
2) Technically you could, however the rear wheels would be "stretched" to fit the rim. While it would work it would not look so good having front and rear wheels be stretched and not stretched.

It does't matter if you run a smaller tire the offset is wrong and you would not be able to rotate the wheels. You need to swap the two rears with two fronts in order to rotate.

You can put the 20" pre-refresh rear wheel up front with about 6mm of spacer. I just test-fit this not long ago because I needed to replace a rear wheel due to curb whackage. 3mm wasn't quite enough, but 5-6mm is probably enough in a pinch (but it's very close to the upright)

But the easy button is to use 4 fronts and 265/45-20 square

For the Refresh I have no idea, the 10" rear wheel is wider but has a lower numerical offset, but I bet it's basically the same deal