Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MY LR trade in value?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1640565247816.png

6 month old Model Y LR with ~14.5k miles (no added features)

So what're you going to do?
I likely won’t do anything. The car brand new would be $74,190 (Blue/White + $10k FSD + $2k acceleration boost + $1200 delivery fee). I also have almost $8,000 worth of window tint and full body paint protection film on it. I know that’s basically valued at zero, which is fine with me, but to ME that’s valued a lot; it was a lot out of pocket and it does fully protect the car from door dings, scratches, and makes washing it super forgiving since you don’t get nearly as many (if any) swirls from less than perfect washing practices.

I think if I could get $70k for it I would seriously consider it and “write off” the tint and PPF cost.

I keep hearing how used cars are going for the same price or higher than new cars, well $70k would still be a $4,200 discount + tint/PPF as a free bonus and the vehicle is basically new condition (supercharged maybe five times, normal lives at 60-75% since my daily is 8 miles round trip). I also don’t NEED to sell it, it’s mainly me kicking myself for not getting into the Performance. At the time of purchase I had serious issues with those Uberturbines and the summer only tires. I’m someone that likes to stay pretty stock so I wanted Gemini’s and I just couldn’t source a set fast enough to take delivery of a Performance… and it was November 2020 and I live in Washington state. We absolutely started dipping into the low 30s and even 20s just a few weeks later, I would have been very stressed I was going to damage the summer only tires or be in dangerous driving conditions. As is I couldn’t even get xIce Snow tires for the Gemini’s until the first week of January, but at least stock from the factory it was on all seasons. Timing was just against me in all ways…

Carbuyerusa.com offered me $65,300 for my Model Y Long Range with no options and 300 miles. It's a 2022 (November), but their drop down list only went up to 2021. So it would probably go for a little more if I contacted them and updated the year to 2022.

The wife wanted to get rid of the car after an extremely bad Tesla service experience trying to get delivery issues taken care of. Ordered it back in April for $50,990, so was willing to sell it for a profit. We weren't able to find a suitable replacement ev that was available now, so when she cooled down after a few days she decided to keep the Model Y.

Reactions: voxel
Tesla offered me $49,100 for my ‘21 MY LR with Induction wheels and 17k mi. I was kind of shocked - it’s so far below market value for trade in. I’m now looking at Vroom and Carvana. One thing I don’t get about Vroom yet is how they give a quote and send paperwork but don’t inspect the car. They say they transfer money 3 days after car is picked up. What happens if they change their offer and the car is no longer in my possession? Anyone use a vroom?

Tesla offered me $49,100 for my ‘21 MY LR with Induction wheels and 17k mi. I was kind of shocked - it’s so far below market value for trade in. I’m now looking at Vroom and Carvana. One thing I don’t get about Vroom yet is how they give a quote and send paperwork but don’t inspect the car. They say they transfer money 3 days after car is picked up. What happens if they change their offer and the car is no longer in my possession? Anyone use a vroom?
I sold my 2013 P85+ to Carvana. They beat Tesla's offer by $10,000 and Carmax's by about $3000. It was pretty painless. They sent someone out to inspect the car, and he had the check with him. It was a pretty cursory inspection. As long as your car is as you describe it, there should be no problem.

A flatbed tow truck came later to pick up the car.

The car sold on their site the first day it showed up for $9000 more than they paid me. They didn't even have time to get the actual photos up.

I asked Vroom for a quote, but they never responded.

Last edited:
I don't know about what happens if they change their offer... but as long as the car is in the condition you say, they likely won't. If your car is essentially sales ready (clean, no big scratches, etc) they probably won't even do anything except take some pictures and drop it on their lot. If you have a big scratch or something make sure to talk to them about it up front once you accept an offer but before you start paperwork, they might ask for documentation on it and adjust your offer or they might ask the size or something and then just consider it normal for a used car.

I sold my RDX to Vroom when I bought the Model Y. Very easy no issues they overnighted a check for the quoted amount a few days after picking it up.