Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MY Test Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This past weekend I did a test drive in a used 2021 MY LR AWD. The dealer was an ICE dealer and the tech did not know how to charge a Tesla. I was told the tech used the wrong port. The distance showed 42 miles at the beginning with this being in the red zone. When I completed the drive the distance showed 27 miles. I drove conservatively except twice I accelerated hard from 35 to 65. When I returned to the dealer I switched from distance to energy and this showed 9% SOC.
At the beginning of the test drive the A/C was on at 70 with low fan speed. I switched the A/C to Auto and the temperature went to low and the fan speed went to high.
I have some questions:

When the energy level drops below 20% does the battery drain speed increase?

Does the Auto setting for the A/C use more energy than just the A/C setting?

Does the fan speed of the A/C or Auto effect the rate of energy drain?

Thank you in advance for any and all answers.

'Wrong port'? There is only one on the car.....

1) I don't believe so, in fact once it gets lower than 10% I suspect some functions are limited to give some extra range. If stationary, things like Sentry Mode, Cabin Overheat Protection and Dog Mode are disabled at 20% SOC.
2/3) I imagine that using Auto A/C and fan speed do have an effect on energy usage, but it would be some tiny as to be negligible. But putting the A/C to Auto doesn't automatically mean it goes to Low..... Just like an ICE vehicle with auto HVAC, you set it to the desired temp and let Auto do it's work.

Not for nothing but I'd be leery about buying a Tesla from an ICE dealership that doesn't know how to charge the car, which is about the easiest thing in Tesla World.... I'd also want to check the charge port and make sure that it CAN charge and that the tech didn't bork it up...

Reactions: Pacernow
1) Not in my experience.

2) When you switched the A/C to auto, the temp went to LO. This was just the last setting and can be adjusted to whatever temp you want. Auto adjusts the fan speeds to bring the car to the set temperature. Since the temp difference between 70 and LO is quite a bit, the fans sped up to make the adjustment. Once the car would hit the LO temp the fans would calm down. For example, I keep my car on auto at 72 degrees. When I get in my car after its been sitting outside for a while the fans will kick on pretty hard to bring the temp down to 72, then the speed adjusts back to something pretty low. It might use more energy in a short drive if there is a drastic temp change to correct, but I wouldn't say it's noticeable by any means.

3) I'm sure it does but it won't be noticeable unless you have the fan maxed out for quite a while. When I first get in my car with AC on Auto the fans will run pretty hard and I might hit 500wh/mi for a minute but after I've driven for a couple of miles I'm back to just a bit above my normal efficiency.

I think AC usage is something you just get used to after a bit of EV ownership. When I first got my Tesla, I was very picky about using my AC to tried to conserve battery life as much as I could, but then you realize you have more battery life than you really need for daily use and you just use the AC as you please to stay comfortable.

Another thing to keep in mind is that I would be hesitant to buy any EV from a dealer (that clearly does not know what they are doing) who may have potentially left the car sitting at low levels of charge 10% or less for prolonged periods of time (like months), it's not good for the battery.

I wonder which port they got confused with lol. Dangerous to mess with 240v power when clueless.

I bought mine from a ICE dealer and they were a group of assclowns so be super careful. I would ask to keep it overnight, go charge to 100% and spend time with it. Make sure the charge is where it should be. And dont let them tell you they "undercoated it and treated the fabric" for $899 either ;)