Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MYP Trunk Leak - bad service experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Attention all hands. I did not read through the entire thread chain, and am only trying to be helpful. Water ingress at the Model Y rear hatch is usually a sign of missing seam sealant from the factory in the hatch and/or tail lamps or missing gaskets. This now a known issue at Tesla. Unfortunate to see folks getting the run around at their local SC. Please hold them accountable. This is the way that will help them improve their service and QC standards.

No resolution yet. Service center saI’d it is the tailgate window seal, so they are ordering a new window and set up an appointment to replace in mid June. More than a month from original appointmen, and no mention of the service bulletin.

In the meantime I am continuing to get leakage in any rain, even minor drizzle. Response: “sorry, just don’t drive in the rain.” Great solution.

I have travel planned where the car will be parked outside for a week with rain in the forecast- expecting a wet moldy mess when I return.

Swipe, thanks for the info. I will have them do the service bulletin fix at the same time they replace the window.

just an update. Service center replaced the rear glass in late June and assured me it would resolve the leakage issue. No surprise, the same issue continues with leakage after driving or parked in any rain. I need to drain the water from inside the tailgate from the rubber plugs after any rain.

I will be making a new appointment and have them perform the service bulletin work, and report back.

Reactions: JonnyWiFi
1453383-00-A LIFTGATE LAMP DOUBLE-ENDED STUD GASKET or 1453384-00-A LIFTGATE LAMP CONNECTOR GASKET.
thanks for your reply.

Just took off the lift gate trim and the sound insulation material shows obviously sign of dirt / water stains. From the location and pattern, it seems very likely that the water comes in from the tail light mounting bolt slowly, so it drips in and splatter dirt onto the insulation. I have just put in a service request for the parts.

We have had the car since Nov 21' but only noticed it this past week after driving through torrential rain, but I do think it had been happening since new but my region does not have regular heavy rain to show this. The tail light mounting bolt does not have any sealing gasket at all but the light connector does have gasket.

Thanks everyone for the helpful information.

No resolution yet. Service center saI’d it is the tailgate window seal, so they are ordering a new window and set up an appointment to replace in mid June. More than a month from original appointmen, and no mention of the service bulletin.

In the meantime I am continuing to get leakage in any rain, even minor drizzle. Response: “sorry, just don’t drive in the rain.” Great solution.

I have travel planned where the car will be parked outside for a week with rain in the forecast- expecting a wet moldy mess when I return.

Swipe, thanks for the info. I will have them do the service bulletin fix at the same time they replace the window.
Two words for you.. Lemon Law. I went through what you're going through. If you just want it fixed right, take it to Tesla Watertown. They should get you in and out in under 2 hours. Let's just say I'm on my second Model Y in two years. I got the new one in May of this year and the trunk leaked on it too. Watertown sealed it up, but in fairness, they also did not follow the SB and said it did not apply to my car.

One more thing - once you study how the back glass seals to the liftgate, it will become crystal clear that water would never leak around the glass and into the inside of the liftgate sheet metal. It would end up inside the plastic covers instead and would not come out when you pull out the rubber plugs.

Please keep us updated. Each SC seems to have their own strengths and weaknesses. Someone should start a matrix of the SC's and what they are good at fixing... I hope Tesla decides to make consistent service a priority before they start losing customers from all the stories of terrible service.

just an update. Service center replaced the rear glass in late June and assured me it would resolve the leakage issue. No surprise, the same issue continues with leakage after driving or parked in any rain. I need to drain the water from inside the tailgate from the rubber plugs after any rain.

I will be making a new appointment and have them perform the service bulletin work, and report back.
Another update - SC performed the work as per the service bulletin about six weeks ago, and no issues since. Glad to finally have this resolved.

This thread has been very helpful, thank you to everyone who has contributed. I have a 23 Model Y that I accepted in November, built in Austin. I live in NJ and it's been pretty cold the last few days, below freezing. I noticed yesterday when I opened the tailgate that there was ice that had formed in the seal at the back of the trunk floor. I'm going to wait until after the holidays and then I'm going to open a service ticket to hopefully get it resolved. I'll be dealing with the SC in Lawrenceville, NJ, I hope that they are in the know about the problem and the fix.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Attachments

• 20231222_172242218_iOS.jpg
    20231222_172242218_iOS.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 41
  • 20231222_172225867_iOS.jpg
    20231222_172225867_iOS.jpg
    694.3 KB · Views: 30
I have same issue, 2023 Fremont Build, took delivery Nov 6View attachment 877993View attachment 877995
Any update on your issue? I've taken mine (01/2023 Austin MY LR) in to the Montreal SC twice now, and the issue is still happening. First time they couldn't reproduce so they did nothing. Second time they replaced something with the headlight(s) but also adjusted the hatch so it closed more evenly, because I was insistent about that.
However, the problem is still happening, and the hatch seems too tight and pops quite loudly whenever it opens, which feels wrong.

Does anyone know if the retraction/locking of the hatch is adjustable in the service mode? I'm 2-3 hrs from a service center and this is getting frustrating. (FWIW, I've never had a single cabin leak of any kind in 25 years owning a dozen different vehicles, almost all used and with sunroofs.)

I just bought a 2013 model s, smelled moldy. It held so much water the hatch would not open on its own, every time it rained water would be in latch
After looking at it the drain plugs for rear hatch were wrong, no hole for water to drain I removed them, rained last night no water, tesla has a recall.
Are the service centers really this inept.