Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The latest TMC Podcast (#14) is now available on YouTube and all major podcast networks. We covered FSD Beta's exciting v11 update, Enhanced Autopilot coming to the U.S. and Canada, and more!

2021 MYP Unable to AC charge

Same issue with my Sept 2021 MYLR (using latest software).

Started a few days ago when plugged into my apartments Juicebox charger. Cannot charge with that using J1772 adapter (I get a CP_a139 error) and I cannot charge with the mobile connector (Tesla light turns dark Blue and car says ready to charge). I am able to supercharge.
Sorry to hear that --

Can you try this - and see if that does anything for you?

"
Tried screen reset and in the end rang Tesla. Had a long chat with Tom who, after speaking with someone else, said turning the car off and leaving it for at least 10 minutes to go to sleep usually solves the issue. He said turn off Sentry and make sure phone app was also off. Apparently it resets a/the sensor(s) in the car socket.

Did as I was told, Went for a drink and returned to the car. Plugged in the cable again and all worked OK.
"

Oh - also - does a super charger work - Guessing Yes?

Sorry to hear that --

Can you try this - and see if that does anything for you?

"
Tried screen reset and in the end rang Tesla. Had a long chat with Tom who, after speaking with someone else, said turning the car off and leaving it for at least 10 minutes to go to sleep usually solves the issue. He said turn off Sentry and make sure phone app was also off. Apparently it resets a/the sensor(s) in the car socket.

Did as I was told, Went for a drink and returned to the car. Plugged in the cable again and all worked OK.
"

Oh - also - does a super charger work - Guessing Yes?
I tried the screen reset and hard reset (although I didn't leave it off for 10 minutes) without luck.

I had to have the charge ECU replaced under warranty.

Edit: Makes sense that may work as I'm guessing its a software bug since anecdotally it seems people are having these issues in newer cars after the update. Guy at the service center this was the first time someone had brought it in for this.

Edit 2: I was able to get routed through roadside assistance directly to the service center which got me in a bit earlier since it was a significant issue and they had the parts on hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: tdeno
Same issue with my Sept 2021 MYLR (using latest software).

Started a few days ago when plugged into my apartments Juicebox charger. Cannot charge with that using J1772 adapter (I get a CP_a139 error) and I cannot charge with the mobile connector (Tesla light turns dark Blue and car says ready to charge). I am able to supercharge.
I am seeing same symptom as you. I also tried to put my 2021 MYLR to sleep for 30 minutes, still not able to charge Level 1 or 2 after waking up.

Were you able to fix without going to Tesla service center? Thanks for all pointers.

I am seeing same symptom as you. I also tried to put my 2021 MYLR to sleep for 30 minutes, still not able to charge Level 1 or 2 after waking up.

Were you able to fix without going to Tesla service center? Thanks for all pointers.
Hi @glidesi...I just saw your comment that you had to replace ECU. I guess I will need to do the same. Thanks.

Hi @glidesi...I just saw your comment that you had to replace ECU. I guess I will need to do the same. Thanks.

Based on my understanding - If the AC charging is not working at all (and if you have verified with another outlet/Mobile charger), then ECU is or most likely the issue and needs to be replaced. DC fast charging may still work and might be the only way to get the car to charge, as that was my experience.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC