Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MYP Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else find that most of the hinges on their newly delivered MYP has gouges and paint missing? Pretty much all of my hinges have paint missing on the bolts, what appear to be gouges all the way down to bare metal, and screwdriver marks. It appears they adjusted the doors and hatch door after they painted, and didn’t bother to touch up the missing paint with touch up paint.

And I finally took delivery of my MYP and DAMN DOES IT HAVE LOTS OF ISSUES! Nothing major, all things they said they put on a due bill (which I have no idea how to see or look at, anyone else know?), but lots of annoying things like doors misaligned, a nice big gouge in one of the rear Uberturbine rims, a *sugar* ton of scratches in the paint from what looks to be an incompetent detail/delivery person, rear spoiler peeling off, the rear seat release switches are REVERSED, some other small issues too. So much for a flawless delivery....but I didn’t really expect it to be anyways. It sad when I can say that a boring ass American company like GM, Ford or Jeep has near perfect cars (all of which I’ve owned) look better at delivery. Whatever, I love my Tesla and hope I can get it to the condition it should have been in when I took delivery.

Anyone else find that most of the hinges on their newly delivered MYP has gouges and paint missing? Pretty much all of my hinges have paint missing on the bolts, what appear to be gouges all the way down to bare metal, and screwdriver marks. It appears they adjusted the doors and hatch door after they painted, and didn’t bother to touch up the missing paint with touch up paint.

And I finally took delivery of my MYP and DAMN DOES IT HAVE LOTS OF ISSUES! Nothing major, all things they said they put on a due bill (which I have no idea how to see or look at, anyone else know?), but lots of annoying things like doors misaligned, a nice big gouge in one of the rear Uberturbine rims, a *sugar* ton of scratches in the paint from what looks to be an incompetent detail/delivery person, rear spoiler peeling off, the rear seat release switches are REVERSED, some other small issues too. So much for a flawless delivery....but I didn’t really expect it to be anyways. It sad when I can say that a boring ass American company like GM, Ford or Jeep has near perfect cars (all of which I’ve owned) look better at delivery. Whatever, I love my Tesla and hope I can get it to the condition it should have been in when I took delivery.

What order are they supposed to be in? I've never actually looked at the buttons do they say which side seat they are supposed to operate?

Regarding paint gouges, I noticed on my passenger... rear door I believe(?), could have been passenger front door, that there is a spot where you can obviously see paint was filled in. Like it wasn't painted but they went back later and used a non perfect match paint to fill in. I'm unsure if this is an issue but the driver side front quarter panel, inside the door when it is open is white. It isn't bare metal, but it looks like it basically wasn't painted. Unsure if this is going to be an issue. My car is in for service today so I may ask if that is an issue when I go to pick the car up.

What order are they supposed to be in? I've never actually looked at the buttons do they say which side seat they are supposed to operate?

Regarding paint gouges, I noticed on my passenger... rear door I believe(?), could have been passenger front door, that there is a spot where you can obviously see paint was filled in. Like it wasn't painted but they went back later and used a non perfect match paint to fill in. I'm unsure if this is an issue but the driver side front quarter panel, inside the door when it is open is white. It isn't bare metal, but it looks like it basically wasn't painted. Unsure if this is going to be an issue. My car is in for service today so I may ask if that is an issue when I go to pick the car up.

Yes, press the buttons and see if what it says (the little picture on the switch) actually releases the corresponding seat on the switch. You’ll know pretty quickly if they are reversed.

But, super excited to get my MYP with all the issues that it comes with from a startup Tesla.

Until when does Tesla get a pass for issues because of being a startup?

I’ve been hearing that since our first Tesla shopping experience (which, thankfully, didn’t have all of these build problems people have been mentioning about with the 3s and Ys recently) back in 2013.

Reactions: MTOman and Pyguy

During my delivery inspection I did notice at least on one of the door hinges (Bottom rear driver side hinge) had 2 paint blemishes from something gripping it or making contacting because the metal of the hinge was compressed. This was on the top edge of the hinge and the blemish was millimeters in size so it was tiny, but noticeable. I felt the metal on the door side to see if it was the door making contact but couldn't feel any rough spots on the door..

I ultimately rejected the deliver do to a couple alignment issues I couldn't live with. As for the paint, I quickly looked at most of the Y's and 3's out on the lot to be delivered and they ALL SUFFERED from what you described in your post. They all had micro-scratches from being compounded after being painted. This should should be followed up with a quick polishing step which would eliminate 80% of what everyone is complaining about. However, going into the inspection I was more concerned with CHIPS, DENTS and DEEP SCRATCHES that my finger nail would get caught in (quick way to see if a scratch is through your clear coat). All micro-scratches can be addressed with a 1 or 2 stage paint correction and if you're going to get PPF done the detail shop that will install the wrap will correct those parts of the car prior to installation (if they don't, they suck, find another place to spend your money).

Doing a little interwebbing, this paint issue isn't an uncommon thing even with high end cars however, I think its sloppy! Anyways, I only focused on the items I couldn't fix like re-hanging a door....

Anyways, even with all the "issues" I still look forward in getting a Model Y P at some point, and as soon as people/customers start holding them accountable for quality/service and not giving them a pass with the excuse of "I'm buying it for the technology" I believe quality with rapidly increase.

Anyways, even with all the "issues" I still look forward in getting a Model Y P at some point, and as soon as people/customers start holding them accountable for quality/service and not giving them a pass with the excuse of "I'm buying it for the technology" I believe quality with rapidly increase.

Just being frank, you’ll end up not being in a Tesla for a long while if you’re looking for quality and service. Coming from Lexus and BMW before, I hate that is the case with Tesla. There will always be great finish cars and poorly done cars coming off the Tesla line. It’s luck. Our 2016 fit and finish looks better than 2020’s. Tesla has been using the excuse of being a startup ever since I remember looking into one back in 2013. Quality and SC service has not changed a bit IMO, for better or worse.
Maybe when the 3’s and Y’s have been in production for at least a few years, some of the production kinks will be worked out.

Just being frank, you’ll end up not being in a Tesla for a long while if you’re looking for quality and service. Coming from Lexus and BMW before, I hate that is the case with Tesla. There will always be great finish cars and poorly done cars coming off the Tesla line. It’s luck. Our 2016 fit and finish looks better than 2020’s. Tesla has been using the excuse of being a startup ever since I remember looking into one back in 2013. Quality and SC service has not changed a bit IMO, for better or worse.
Maybe when the 3’s and Y’s have been in production for at least a few years, some of the production kinks will be worked out.

I completely agree, I'm willing to wait for the right one, fortunately this is a want and not a need vehicle. As for quality and service, I really hope and personally predict that these will be addressed in rapid succession now that Tesla entering Mass production and markets (ie. more factories coming online and entering China market). I imagine Tesla will be under much more scrutiny in other markets especially with alternative choices quickly coming online. With that said, the vail of startup mentality will no longer be acceptable.

For all you MYP orders out there, anyone has 7-seat reservations? I made my reservation of MY AWD with 7-seat but now wanted to get MYP with 7-seat but this combination is not available so just wanted to find out whether this will be offered? If yes then I may hold off for a little longer.