Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 MYP Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my MYP in blue/white. Was looking over the car for about an hour and found a few issues but they should all hopefully be things they can fix relatively easily.

Issues:

1. Passenger window wasn't flush also wasn't really sealing as a result. Works for the next few days until the appointment but I wouldn't want to see what happens in a heavy downpour.
  2. The area on the passenger side where the charge port is on the driver side is scratched
  3. The rear cladding under the bumper had a scratch/scuff mark
  4. The driver window triangle piece where the mirror is wasn't attached correctly and moves when the window goes up and down.
  5. The trim on the exterior had marks all over it. I think this may just be wax when they waxed the car and will come off but reported it just in case
  6. The driver and passenger wheel well cladding/surround weren't flush with the door like they should be
  7. There was a small white dot on the passenger A pillar that wasn't blue...
  8. The passenger rear window corner was missing a small section of the rubber gasket/trim
  9. Left mirror has the issue others have posted about where it can't be moved much. I originally thought this only affected tall drivers but I'm only 5'5" and this was a huge issue for me. I cut someone off because I can't ge the mirror to go over enough to see more than the rear quarter panel.
  10. There were some light marks/scratches on the driver B pillar.
  11. There is a scratch on the rear deck lid.

Otherwise things were good. Almost got a ticket on the first night (oops this thing is quick...).

Has all upgrades:
  1. Autodimming mirrors
  2. Laminated glass
  3. Metal scroll wheels
  4. USB in the globebox
  5. updated seat controls with dark gray trim
  6. Unsure if this is normal but my brake calipers say TESLA on them. I thought I read that they removed that text and they were just plain red recently but I could be wrong

imgur.com

Truth be told, I was expecting way worse things. Still for 80k including taxes these things shouldn't be an issue.

Just picked up my MYP in blue/white. Was looking over the car for about an hour and found a few issues but they should all hopefully be things they can fix relatively easily.

Issues:

1. Passenger window wasn't flush also wasn't really sealing as a result. Works for the next few days until the appointment but I wouldn't want to see what happens in a heavy downpour.
  2. The area on the passenger side where the charge port is on the driver side is scratched
  4. The driver window triangle piece where the mirror is wasn't attached correctly and moves when the window goes up and down.
  5. The trim on the exterior had marks all over it. I think this may just be wax when they waxed the car and will come off but reported it just in case
  6. The driver and passenger wheel well cladding/surround weren't flush with the door like they should be
  8. The passenger rear window corner was missing a small section of the rubber gasket/trim
  9. Left mirror has the issue others have posted about where it can't be moved much. I originally thought this only affected tall drivers but I'm only 5'5" and this was a huge issue for me. I cut someone off because I can't ge the mirror to go over enough to see more than the rear quarter panel.

Otherwise things were good. Almost got a ticket on the first night (oops this thing is quick...).

Has all upgrades:
  1. Autodimming mirrors
  2. Laminated glass
  3. Metal scroll wheels
  4. USB in the globebox
  6. Unsure if this is normal but my brake calipers say TESLA on them. I thought I read that they removed that text and they were just plain red recently but I could be wrong

imgur.com

Truth be told, I was expecting way worse things. Still for 80k including taxes these things shouldn't be an issue.

I have a comments to a couple of your "Issues".

1. Window
Similarly, I noticed this during my inspection the front driver and passenger side (in my case) windows weren't rolling completely up into the seal. When I rolled them up they would go into the seal but "bounce" down ~1/4-1/2" so it looked like the windows weren't flush when looking from the side and weren't making a tight seal on the top edge of the glass..
Basically, this is due to ambient temperature. Its a feature to prevent window to freezing to the seal preventing the window from rolling down, which may ultimately cause damage when you open the door. Your windows are probably rolling up now because you're parking in a garage or the temperature is warmer than it was during inspection? In any case, when I turned the car on and ran the heat on high while inspecting the interior I noticed magically and all by themselves the windows rolled up into the seal . At which point when I manually rolled windows up I didn't see the "bounce". They would rollup into the seal and look perfect from the outside.
The Service guy did a little digging and was told this was a feature that he didn't know was on the Y, I guess other models do this already.

6. Wheel Well Trim
Unfortunately this is the reason for my rejection of the car, the passenger side was PERFECT however, the driver side rear was almost flush where the rear door edge meets the trim but progressively flared out towards the bottom door edge. To me, this is an issue with the door not being installed correctly. As in the bottom right corner is ~1/4+" off (towards the interior of the car). I also noticed paint damage to the lower door mount, looked like the paint was compressed like if the door was closed and it made contact however, I tried to look for contact points on the door where it could have made contact during the installation but didn't see anything or feel anything. Anyways, I asked to have that re-evaluated but ultimately I got the "within spec" and if it isn't a remove and replace then we don't do anything.

I hope my comment to "1." is true for you! It truly is an amazing car!

Last edited:
We recently received (another) text from Tesla asking us if we would like a December delivery on the blue/white MYP we ordered.

We had our order put on hold because we would rather a January/February delivery.

Can’t help but wonder if they’re trying to quickly deliver these rejected Y’s before end of the quarter.

We recently received (another) text from Tesla asking us if we would like a December delivery on the blue/white MYP we ordered.

We had our order put on hold because we would rather a January/February delivery.

Can’t help but wonder if they’re trying to quickly deliver these rejected Y’s before end of the quarter.

I wish there was a tracking sheet just for Rejected VIN's with a list of the reasons. I'd love to know who accepts the one I declined. MYP Blue/White/Tow/FSD
VIN 7919x

No way to know for sure, but legend has it that if you don't take delivery now, it'll probably be March before you get your car and you'll be facing the same EoQ/EoY rush/volume.

I have a comments to a couple of your "Issues".

1. Window
Similarly, I noticed this during my inspection the front driver and passenger side (in my case) windows weren't rolling completely up into the seal. When I rolled them up they would go into the seal but "bounce" down ~1/4-1/2" so it looked like the windows weren't flush when looking from the side and weren't making a tight seal on the top edge of the glass..
Basically, this is due to ambient temperature. Its a feature to prevent window to freezing to the seal preventing the window from rolling down, which may ultimately cause damage when you open the door. Your windows are probably rolling up now because you're parking in a garage or the temperature is warmer than it was during inspection? In any case, when I turned the car on and ran the heat on high while inspecting the interior I noticed magically and all by themselves the windows rolled up into the seal . At which point when I manually rolled windows up I didn't see the "bounce". They would rollup into the seal and look perfect from the outside.
The Service guy did a little digging and was told this was a feature that he didn't know was on the Y, I guess other models do this already.

6. Wheel Well Trim
Unfortunately this is the reason for my rejection of the car, the passenger side was PERFECT however, the driver side rear was almost flush where the rear door edge meets the trim but progressively flared out towards the bottom door edge. To me, this is an issue with the door not being installed correctly. As in the bottom right corner is ~1/4+" off (towards the interior of the car). I also noticed paint damage to the lower door mount, looked like the paint was compressed like if the door was closed and it made contact however, I tried to look for contact points on the door where it could have made contact during the installation but didn't see anything or feel anything. Anyways, I asked to have that re-evaluated but ultimately I got the "within spec" and if it isn't a remove and replace then we don't do anything.

I hope my comment to "1." is true for you! It truly is an amazing car!
I'll have to look more closely but I believe the door is installed almost perfectly. It looks like the door is fine the window just doesn't compress the seal correctly but I'll take a look today.

Regarding the trim, I'm not too concerned because it is entirely the trim piece that is misaligned and not the door. The door is perfect and matches with the rocker panel and the quarterpanel. You can run your hand underneath the wheel well cladding it feel it should just be pushed in about a centimeter. It sticks out from the rocker panel that runs underneath it. Hopefully that isn't a huge deal to fix, I'm not sure how that piece is installed.

No way to know for sure, but legend has it that if you don't take delivery now, it'll probably be March before you get your car and you'll be facing the same EoQ/EoY rush/volume.

That’s the same line the SA told us in November when we initially delayed delivery.

We have now received 3 texts asking us if we wanted a December delivery. Thankfully we are not in a rush, and don’t buy into the sales (delivery) pressure.

Reactions: daedaleck

Issues:

Has all upgrades:
  1. Autodimming mirrors
  2. Laminated glass
  3. Metal scroll wheels
  4. USB in the globebox

imgur.com

But what about new headlights? All the other stuff is standard now.

Just got a call from Tesla that I missed this years delivery. With a September 11 order date. Bunch of wankers. Now with Q1 US builds starting in the second half of the quarter probably looking Late February or March. Very close to cancelling and just going ICE again. I need a vehicle and am tired of paying for rentals.

Issues:

2. ....

Hey Kadify - congrats on the new car!

Regarding the window you might want to do a calibration to make sure it's closing properly. Here are the instructions for the M3 - guessing it's the same for the Y:

Do It Yourself - Model 3

Hopefully you get the other issues sorted asap!

Just got a call from Tesla that I missed this years delivery. With a September 11 order date. Bunch of wankers. Now with Q1 US builds starting in the second half of the quarter probably looking Late February or March. Very close to cancelling and just going ICE again. I need a vehicle and am tired of paying for rentals.

wow that’s pathetic. I’m guessing I’ll get that call shortly as well. Sorry to hear that.

You ordered in September and they’re telling you that you’re not getting your performance this year?! Unreal.
Did you happen to make any changes to your order during that time?

Nothing. All documents and financing done within 24 hours of order and nothing changed since.

Damn man, so sorry. I can't imagine what excuse they'd have for that. I am still seeing people who ordered in Dec. take delivery - don't recall if any were MYPs, but still. You ordered 6 weeks before I did and I'm making it (knock on wood). Maybe you won't make the end of year, but it's possible they'll keep pushing to get some of the backlog out in January. I don't know, though. Just trying to think positive for you.

Reactions: scap

Uh oh. Wonder if this will happen to me... Ordered in August but deferred in September due to QC concerns. My delivery date disappeared yesterday.

How can they just say 'oops we missed delivery, try again in march'? Are you sure it won't just be a few days in January? Doesn't make sense. Did you defer recently or something?