Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Northeast / New England Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never driven on Summer tires in the winter.
Don't. This is a sure-fire way to wreck your new car, even on dry pavement. Don't ask me how I know, it's too painful to think about.

Summer tires have hard rubber and lousy traction in the cold. Extreme high-performance summer tires can even crack and be permanently damaged in sub-freezing weather.

EDIT - Tire Tech Information - Storing Track & Competition DOT Tires in Cold Temperatures

This is an extreme example (Tesla isn't using Pilot Sport Cups or other street-legal R compound track tires), but Corvette Z06 owners reported tire cracking in sub 20F weather. In the "Doctor-it-hurts-when-I-do-this" department, Michelin's answer was essentially: "Duh. Don't do that."

Michelin Advises Corvette Z06 Owners Not to Move the Car in the Cold | Torque News

Last edited:
Reactions: Tdreamer
:( Sorry to hear about that yea. I'm nervous about it. Unhappy that there was no option for us to get the car with winter/all season tires in the midst of the winter months here :(

Thank you for the added info though!
A friend traded his 3 for a Y and had a set of snows from his 3 for sale. He was going to put a for sale post on TMC, I'll see if I can find it.

Reactions: To3OrNotTo3
I just heard back. Tires only, no wheels, 235/45R18 Continental VikingContact 7,1 year old, est 2000 miles. I don't know if 18" wheels fit on the M3P. If interested, PM me and I'll send you his email.

Unfortunately those won't fit, thank you though! Luckily got something setup for tires for tomorrow! Will try to get a few pictures up of the blue exterior/white interior if folks are interested! Got it this morning! Some minor build quality issues but nothing that I decided was worth extending the infinite wait game for! FWIW I'm also a full convert now on these uberturbines. Was unhappy with the other wheels no longer being available but now that I've seen them in person and in motion, I'm sold, double-pane glass windows are nice as well

I'm not getting new wheels this time around, I couldn't commit to something in time and all the options are now backordered. I ended up ordering
Michelin - Pilot Alpin PA4's that I'm going to be switching off the uberturbines. Hopefully that's okay to do a few times. I may eventually look into getting an 18 inch set of wheels once I recover from hemorrhaging all this cash.

I like my experience with having had tires from CostCo before. I popped my tire, had 90% of it's tread life left, they charged me 10% the cost to get a new tire. Thought that was real slick, hopefully i"m not misattributing it to them (as opposed to the tire manufacturer)

Where oh where did you find Pilot Alpin PA4's? I've been searching all over and not having any luck finding someone who carries theses. I'm on the West Coast...

For those purchasing a Model S once production starts again, and particularly for those in New England, below is a timeline of my purchase, from the date of a test-drive, ordering, and delivery – all within about a month and a half. Knowing that many have waited years for a car, I was happy to see the whole process occur so quickly. Here is the quick run-through:

• October 29: Test Drive of Car in Peabody MA
  • October 29: Order placed online
  • October 29: Confirmation of order received
  • November 4: Formal order agreement showed up on online account for car
  • November 10: Text from Tesla reporting 4-7 week estimated delivery
  • November 25: Text from Tesla reporting 2-4 week estimated delivery
  • November 30: MVPA (motor vehicle purchase agreement) received, along with VIN and request for payment
  • December 1: Text from New Jersey service center reporting estimated arrival of car in Paramus NJ on December 15
  • December 12: “Get ready to meet your Model S” text from Tesla
  • December 13: “Get ready to meet your Model S” text from Tesla
  • December 15: Text from Paramus NJ Tesla indicating car to be picked up from service center by shipper on that day and expect to hear from trucking company with ETA.
  • December 16: Call from trucking company indicating they are on my road in New Hampshire and attempting to find my house (two-minute warning!)
  • December 16: Car arrives mid-afternoon; car clean and everything looks good; temporary NJ registration and tags included
Before I get a little critical about the process, let me say what everyone on this forum already knows: the vehicle is amazing. Despite COVID-19, I am thinking of every imaginable excuse to drive somewhere, and sometimes just sit it and marvel about the comfort, the technology, and all I am looking forward to! I feel like a kid again, and this is priceless! I paid for FSD and a short while ago allowed my “S” to navigate with autopilot and watched it deal with the exit ramp from an interstate with only my loose supervision. Very cool!

But having purchased many new cars over the years, this was clearly a unique process in so much as the relationship between the buyer and seller almost seems reversed. Although all the communications from Tesla were congenial, it was clear that everything was on the seller’s terms, and any effort to diverge from the path Tesla puts in to front of you seemed largely to be useless. Maybe it was just me, but I had this subtle feeling if I called for information, I might actually slow the process down. The few times I did try calling, I never reached a human being, so I'll never know. The salesman at the closest showroom and service center in Peabody, MA, wouldn’t give me his extension. Unlike the last time I made a jump in technology when I moved from a Volvo sedan to a Prius back in 2006 at which time the Toyota salesperson sat down with me in the car and gave me a thorough orientation, Tesla offered nothing but videos. The trucker guy that dropped it off admitted that he knew nothing more about the car than how to drive it off the trailer. I guess that’s the way in 2020. No product comes with a printed user guide these days and the best you can expect is a link to something helpful. In this regard, the online guide is very well designed and extremely thorough. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I actually printed the PDF and I'm carefully reading it!

I realize that Tesla has broken the mold of an awful automobile industry that instills very little trust and often sells very mediocre products. My hope, though, is that Tesla might follow the way of Apple and other big tech companies in providing both excellent products and superb customer treatment. Maybe it’s part of the learning curve?

Ordered Model X. Maine delivery now costs $750 (I think that what the Tesla rep said, but something close). Alternative is to pick up in NJ, 8 hours away, for no extra charge but that opens up the possibility of Tesla financing which is not possible with home delivery. Maybe by the time they get around to building for the east coast after the shutdown and I get around to selling my other cars there will be a shop in NH. If there are not serious updates I may bail.

Ordered Model X. Maine delivery now costs $750 (I think that what the Tesla rep said, but something close). Alternative is to pick up in NJ, 8 hours away, for no extra charge but that opens up the possibility of Tesla financing which is not possible with home delivery. Maybe by the time they get around to building for the east coast after the shutdown and I get around to selling my other cars there will be a shop in NH. If there are not serious updates I may bail.

Why NJ? There are SCs closer, including RI. Ive heard NH buyers needing to pick up in NJ as well.

Why NJ? There are SCs closer, including RI. Ive heard NH buyers needing to pick up in NJ as well.
Rep said this was new policy but not how new or why. Not happy about this fee from a company that offers online sales everywhere. If the car is ready before travel across state lines is free of covid restrictions then I would have to choose delivery and would object to a fee.

Ordered Model X. Maine delivery now costs $750 (I think that what the Tesla rep said, but something close). Alternative is to pick up in NJ, 8 hours away, for no extra charge but that opens up the possibility of Tesla financing which is not possible with home delivery.

Has anyone else in ME/NH/VT experienced this? I was planning to order a Y in a week or two and haven't had a fee in the two cars prior. Really annoyed if they're going to start charging to deliver cars to states without any other options in addition to the destination fees already incurred.

Given how many scenarios there are of rejecting cars upon pick up, having to go to NY or NJ to pick up is a gamble.

Hi!
This is my first post as a new member.
I just ordered a Y LR, Blue/Black, 19".
I'm pushing the VIN assignment off until late March so that I don't half to drive it on so many salt covered roads.
Because I'm in Maine, like other people I was told that I would half to pick it up in NJ.
I decided that I will make the run down there myself. It will be fun to get used to the car driving it back.
Tesla has agreed to provide me with a one way rental for the trip down.
There's no way that I'm going to shell out a additional $750.
When I asked them why I couldn't just pick the car up at a closer dealership, they said that it had to do with the fact that NJ was one of the few states that could issue temporary tags for NH, ME and VT residents.

• Informative
Reactions: Gwgan