Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Owners....Deep rumbling noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,

Picked up my 2021 yesterday. Was sitting in the garage last night playing with the infotainment system. As I was sitting there, I kept hearing this deep rumbling sound. It sounds like when you are in a theater and you can only hear the bass of an explosion from the theater next to you. It came and went several times. Lasts just a few seconds. Today, I heard it again while I was at a stoplight. I'm guessing it's the heatpump cycling on and off since that's pretty much the only moving part while the car is sitting still. I'm sure the pump makes SOME noise, but this seems way too loud to be normal. Everything seems to be working fine, just the noise. Anyone else experiencing anything like this? It's loud enough that I can't believe it would normally behave this way.

Todd

I hear the same sound (I assume it's the heat pump) only when in my garage in dead silence. My Wife's Y will make the same noise from time to time as well. It doesn't shake our cars though, and I have never noticed it while driving around in my car or riding in hers.
I have had my Model Y and in a quiet garage if I am sitting in the car I can occasionally hear it. I it definitely does not disturb me like the blower fans in other cars regardless of the manufacturer. If you are considering a Model 3 or Model Y, test drive one and turn up the climate control to see if it bothers you. And yes, Premium Interior Model Ys and Model 3s do have POWERED Subs. Set the equalizer so that it is not rumbling. Mine left the factory with WAY to much base...

Having the same issue in my '21. Sitting in the car and the entire thing vibrates. I did not have this issue when I had a Model Y.

It is 100% related to the A/C and almost positive the cause is the heat pump. I have an appointment on the 15th for Tesla to diagnose.

If anyone has specific A/C settings they have found that cause the vibrations, please let me know so I can properly replicate it for them.

Mine does this. It is a low frequency vibration that almost feels like a subwoofer test tone. I feel it in the floor of the car. The way I have been able to replicate this is to have the car in park, ensure the A/C is on and set to 68 in my case, and happens most often when the battery is still on the colder side.

Let me know what they say. On the one hand, the heat pump cycling is normal, on the other it feels like it might not be screwed down completely causing the vibration.

Reactions: Protect1989
Also interested if they say it's "out of spec". At first, mine was just a deep rumble. Thought it was coming from the subwoofer. Now, it's sometimes bad enough that I can feel it vibrate the steering wheel for a second or so when it cuts on. I can't believe this thing was really engineered such that it would vibrate the steering wheel when it cuts on and off.

I sometimes hear some fan sounds on my 2021 but I've never felt any vibration. If you are getting a vibration, it could be related to one of the fans being out of balance. I read in another thread that the balancing weights can sometimes fly off and make the fan imbalanced and it'll cause a vibration.

Mike

Having the same issue in my '21. Sitting in the car and the entire thing vibrates. I did not have this issue when I had a Model Y.

It is 100% related to the A/C and almost positive the cause is the heat pump. I have an appointment on the 15th for Tesla to diagnose.

If anyone has specific A/C settings they have found that cause the vibrations, please let me know so I can properly replicate it for them.
Well....what did they say about it?

2021 M3P here, this thing is pretty loud. I thought the car next to me in traffic had a subwoofer playing 80-100hz. It seems to happen randomly, but is really apparent when stopped. I hope there's a fix for this, it's not that I expect the car to be totally silent, however this deep rumbling bass is not acceptable.

2021 M3P here, this thing is pretty loud. I thought the car next to me in traffic had a subwoofer playing 80-100hz. It seems to happen randomly, but is really apparent when stopped. I hope there's a fix for this, it's not that I expect the car to be totally silent, however this deep rumbling bass is not acceptable.
I test drove an m3 LR recently. Immediately noticed the rumble and vibration. I had to turn off the heater to stop it. Can’t believe Tesla thinks it’s acceptable. Surely they need to address this ?
Put me off buying a 21 , thinking of getting a 20 which is really annoying.