Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 p3D handling concerns. I'm disappointed [because suspension too soft]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mountainpass performance Coil over AWD "Comfort" not adjustable in rebound/compression ARE stiffer than Sport AWD Adjusted to Softer setting?
AND
Coil over AWD "Comfort" not adjustable are stiffer than stock?
I want something "sportier" but I will never need to adjust for specific use (I don't race, I don't plan Autocross , IlI'use the car only on streeet for occasional sprinted drive).
The "Comfort" definition is worrying me. expecially because I'm the original poster of this discussion: "

"2021 p3D handling concerns. I'm disappointed [because suspension too soft]"

MY plan is to install Solid Front Lower Control Arm Bushing, master cylinder barace (just arrived in Italy to my home today)
and later:
Cyber rear traction and Trailing arm
Then:
A MPP coil Over kit.

Mountainpass performance Coil over AWD "Comfort" not adjustable in rebound/compression ARE stiffer than Sport AWD Adjusted to Softer setting?
AND
Coil over AWD "Comfort" not adjustable are stiffer than stock?
I want something "sportier" but I will never need to adjust for specific use (I don't race, I don't plan Autocross , IlI'use the car only on streeet for occasional sprinted drive).
The "Comfort" definition is worrying me. expecially because I'm the original poster of this discussion: "

"2021 p3D handling concerns. I'm disappointed [because suspension too soft]"

MY plan is to install Solid Front Lower Control Arm Bushing, master cylinder barace (just arrived in Italy to my home today)

and later:

Cyber rear traction and Trailing arm

Then:

A MPP coil Over kit.

The Comfort spring rates are still technically higher than stock, they just don't ramp up as aggressively until the bump rubbers are engaged!

Suspension Tech - Firmer But More Comfortable? How Can That Be? | Mountain Pass Performance

Just installed the Montainpass performance brake master cyl brace on my 2021 Performance
I was not ready to 2 inconveniences :
1) the little hole (where the m6 bolt and nut and spacer and washer ) was with a plastic clip holding a big connector.
I had to smash it and remove and search a new places for the wiring harness connected to the big connector.
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-04 at 22.00.31.jpeg
2) I have FULLY threaded the adjuster into the master cylinder brace, but when istalled there was absolutely NO room to thread out the adjuster until the base touches the master cylinder. and I had difficult to thread the big bolts because the adjuster was already against the master cylinder (forcing it).It's like the whole brace (with the adjuster fully threaded in the brace ) was too long.
A frined of mine with a 2019 LR AWD had no connector interaction (no connector no wiring) and no "too long" brace.

1) the little hole (where the m6 bolt and nut and spacer and washer ) was with a plastic clip holding a big connector.
I had to smash it and remove and search a new places for the wiring harness connected to the big connector.
I noticed this on my neighbor's brand new 2021 M3P (Late March 2021 build). It appears they have added an additional disconnect loop to the emergency battery disconnect and it uses this previously unused hole to retain the harness. MPP might need to update their instructions.

Reactions: Mash
I noticed this on my neighbor's brand new 2021 M3P (Late March 2021 build). It appears they have added an additional disconnect loop to the emergency battery disconnect and it uses this previously unused hole to retain the harness. MPP might need to update their instructions.
@MountainPass I picked up a brake brace for my 2021 m3p but haven’t installed it yet. Any suggestions??

Just installed the Montainpass performance brake master cyl brace on my 2021 Performance
I was not ready to 2 inconveniences :
View attachment 6595382) I have FULLY threaded the adjuster into the master cylinder brace, but when istalled there was absolutely NO room to thread out the adjuster until the base touches the master cylinder. and I had difficult to thread the big bolts because the adjuster was already against the master cylinder (forcing it).It's like the whole brace (with the adjuster fully threaded in the brace ) was too long.
A frined of mine with a 2019 LR AWD had no connector interaction (no connector no wiring) and no "too long" brace.
Can't comment on the wiring harness change, but the sometimes-almost-too-long-nature of the brace has to do more with the Tesla production tolerances, which are too high. Mine was also tight, even all the way backed out, but it still worked just fine, and didn't compress the master cylinder/firewall. I have yet to hear about someone where they had to exert force on the bracket to get it into place. Curious what @MPP will say about the wiring changes.

Reactions: conv90
On Model 3 performance 2021:
Just installed FLCA bushingsby my mechanic after all my reccomendations and MPP instructions.
Now I have a doubt (only now I have this doubt).
The flush and thick blue aluminun side, is facing the front of the car and the thin side is facing back.

The doubt is if it's right in this way ...or the opposite..

Here a pic taken from front (passenger side) where you can see the thick aluminum flush side facing the front of the car.
1620902211046.png

At side note he told me that the dowel pins slided freely , but it was impossible to insert and grab the nuts due to frame disalignement.
He thought to use only the front pin inserted . Used lictite on both .

Last edited:
On Model 3 performance 2021:
Just installed FLCA bushingsby my mechanic after all my reccomendations and MPP instructions.
Now I have a doubt (only now I have this doubt).
The flush and thick blue aluminun side, is facing the front of the car and the thin side is facing back.

The doubt is if it's right in this way ...or the opposite..

Here a pic taken from front (passenger side) where you can see the thick aluminum flush side facing the front of the car.
View attachment 661860
At side note he told me that the dowel pins slided freely , but it was impossible to insert and grab the nuts due to frame disalignement.
He thought to use only the front pin inserted . Used lictite on both .

Your mechanic pressed it correctly!

Please let us know when there are any issues with something like that connector on your strut brace, as this isn't an MPP thread and the chances of us stumbling across it are very low. The connector can be unclipped from underneath and moved aside so you can use the hole in the strut brace. It sounds like your car was quite far outside of the usual tolerance since the brace was touching the master cylinder even when fully spun in. If you had asked me I would have recommended removing the jam nut, which will give you another 4 or 5mm or room, then apply medium-strength Loctite to the threads so it doesn't move after you're done adjusting it.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
Your mechanic pressed it correctly!

Please let us know when there are any issues with something like that connector on your strut brace, as this isn't an MPP thread and the chances of us stumbling across it are very low. The connector can be unclipped from underneath and moved aside so you can use the hole in the strut brace. It sounds like your car was quite far outside of the usual tolerance since the brace was touching the master cylinder even when fully spun in. If you had asked me I would have recommended removing the jam nut, which will give you another 4 or 5mm or room, then apply medium-strength Loctite to the threads so it doesn't move after you're done adjusting it.
Thank You Jesse! You are always so helpful, and MPP customer care is really fantastic even with peole in Europe like me replying even when overseas is night !
I wanted to share in this thread the beauty of these FLCA bushing. Now I can add (after some test on my preferred winding road) that they works even perfect!
Rear Trailing/Traction Cyber arms will be the next move!