Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 p3D handling concerns. I'm disappointed [because suspension too soft]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you shitting me. You’re telling the government dictates what size tires you can/cannot put on your car? Can’t you keep the OEM set and use it to pass inspection? Not sure how things work there.
Sure..
Yes I can swap for ispection . The problem is the insurance.
What if you have an accident while you have uncorrect wheels size? If you killed someone, you are in trouble for life, If you destroy your or other car, the insurance will not pay.

Attachments

• Itires.jpg
    Itires.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 71
Sure..
Yes I can swap for ispection . The problem is the insurance.
What if you have an accident while you have uncorrect wheels size? If you killed someone, you are in trouble for life, If you destroy your or other car, the insurance will not pay.
Well that is a bit of government over reach for sure but in any case the 235/35 - 20 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tesla spec version of the tire is the best tire for the car. I think it's the best overall in terms of a balance between traction and performance and range. Its tread width is actually about average for a 255/35 tire in that diameter. So Tesla/Michelin made the tread significantly wider while keeping the section with consistent with 235. I believe this was their way of giving the tire more traction without a big jump in rolling resistance. Obviously some people would like more Tire other people would like more range but it's a great compromise between getting very good performance and decent range. I have larger versions of those tires on my car (265/30 front and 275/30 rear) and yes they do handle better but there is a modest range hit.

At the end my main question is unaswered.
Is there evidence that 2021 models are with suspensions (spring rates-different setting on dampers)- more soft than models 2018 2019 2020?
Is there a Pert Number catalog where I can see every single suspension part# equipped on different model years?
I repeat ...I can't understand how (example Unplugged Performance lowering springs) ...someone can define " desiderable " a spring like the MILD one or the MODERATE too (se graph) , where the very maximum compression of the springs (at the very limit ) can equate the factory rate spring rate....
..Probably in a 2019 YES . but not on a 2021 c'mon !
Unplugged Performance Dual Rate Linear Lowering Springs Tesla Model 3 (see graph)
It's not a : " should I buy these lowering sprigs?" the UP link It's used only to explain my concerns on differences on 2021 and previous model

At the end my main question is unaswered.
Is there evidence that 2021 models are with suspensions (spring rates-different setting on dampers)- more soft than models 2018 2019 2020?
Is there a Pert Number catalog where I can see every single suspension part# equipped on different model years?
I repeat ...I can't understand how (example Unplugged Performance lowering springs) ...someone can define " desiderable " a spring like the MILD one or the MODERATE too (se graph) , where the very maximum compression of the springs (at the very limit ) can equate the factory rate spring rate....
..Probably in a 2019 YES . but not on a 2021 c'mon !
Unplugged Performance Dual Rate Linear Lowering Springs Tesla Model 3 (see graph)
It's not a : " should I buy these lowering sprigs?" the UP link It's used only to explain my concerns on differences on 2021 and previous model
You might find this post interesting!

Suspension Tech - Firmer But More Comfortable? How Can That Be? | Mountain Pass Performance

Thanks .. already read and I understand it . In the article there are many references to OE Tesla suspensions...example " ...our suspension is both firmer and more comfortable than OE."
What I suspect is that OE Tesla suspensions changed between years. But have NOT evidence on this on papers or with comparisions with others people.

Thanks .. already read and I understand it . In the article there are many references to OE Tesla suspensions...example " ...our suspension is both firmer and more comfortable than OE."
What I suspect is that OE Tesla suspensions changed between years. But have NOT evidence on this on papers or with comparisions with others people.

Why isn't the OEM suspension designed to be firmer but more comfortable? Surely it was selected due to some engineering reason besides just cost? Whats the trade off?

My guess is the best parts are more expensive, but also need more maintenance than OEM suspension designed for 200K plus miles. Maybe a rebuild at 50k or 100k?

It really comes down to cost. The dampers Tesla uses are made in Mexico and I am sure we would all be surprised by how little they cost! They certainly don't last 200k miles, and many P3D owners have complained that there is almost no rebound damping from the factory (hence the floaty and bouncy rear end).

As for their tuning methodology, I guess we would have to ask the people responsible. We can only speculate as to why they rely so heavily on bump stops for suspension tuning.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Mountain Pass Performance ship from Germany All the products for European countries?
I live in Italy and id' like to know if the shipping quote at the cart is from Europe or from USA.
I agree with the shipping quote , BUT If shipped from USA I have to pay about a 30% more the products (because of custom duties and VAT), If shipped fron EU/Germany I'll not pay additional taxes.

Mountain Pass Performance ship from Germany All the products for European countries?
I live in Italy and id' like to know if the shipping quote at the cart is from Europe or from USA.
I agree with the shipping quote , BUT If shipped from USA I have to pay about a 30% more the products (because of custom duties and VAT), If shipped fron EU/Germany I'll not pay additional taxes.
MPP adjustable coilovers sent from Germany, the rest is from Canada. Contact them directly.

Effectively any tire with an overall diameter between 26" and 27" is good. You can vary a bit more than that, but not much.
New 2021 M3 LR owner here and am loving this thread! I am wondering if I can reuse my old Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires off my now sold BMW 340ix at the 245/40 18 size on my M3 that I now have. This particular size has a diameter of 25.7” and just falls shy of your 26” suggested range. I hate to sell them as they only have about 8k miles and plenty of tread left. Thanks in advance!

New 2021 M3 LR owner here and am loving this thread! I am wondering if I can reuse my old Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires off my now sold BMW 340ix at the 245/40 18 size on my M3 that I now have. This particular size has a diameter of 25.7” and just falls shy of your 26” suggested range. I hate to sell them as they only have about 8k miles and plenty of tread left. Thanks in advance!

It's quite a distance from the stock rolling diameter. It's almost an inch below what might be ideal 26.5 to 26.7. You could try it but you've got significant speedometer error and the question is whether or not the traction control computer will tolerate the disparity. Not sure about that one. It might be better to sell that tire and see if you can get a Pilot Sport 4S 18 in closer to stock rolling diameter.

It's quite a distance from the stock rolling diameter. It's almost an inch below what might be ideal 26.5 to 26.7. You could try it but you've got significant speedometer error and the question is whether or not the traction control computer will tolerate the disparity. Not sure about that one. It might be better to sell that tire and see if you can get a Pilot Sport 4S 18 in closer to stock rolling diameter.
Thank you so much for the reply! I hear you and worry that it might be a complete headache. This is not to mention that they would look odd being a smaller diameter.

My other option is to purchase the Tesla summer tire and wheel with the Pilot 4S and 18 inch wheel and TPMS sensors for $2k. At least it is guaranteed to work. It’s just a little frustrating that I probably can’t reuse nearly new tires. :-(

Thank you so much for the reply! I hear you and worry that it might be a complete headache. This is not to mention that they would look odd being a smaller diameter.

My other option is to purchase the Tesla summer tire and wheel with the Pilot 4S and 18 inch wheel and TPMS sensors for $2k. At least it is guaranteed to work. It’s just a little frustrating that I probably can’t reuse nearly new tires. :-(
Just to point out... the tires in the "Tesla summer and wheel package" are Pilot Sport 4, not 4S

Just to point out... the tires in the "Tesla summer and wheel package" are Pilot Sport 4, not 4S
Oh wow! I really appreciate you pointing this out to me. I was a bit overzealous and apparently saw what I wanted to see instead of what it truly is. Good thing I didn’t order them. I guess I will got aftermarket and get some nice forged wheels and the correct Pilot 4S tires and BLE sensors instead. I knew joining the forum was a smart move...

Reactions: Mash and SK360