Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 P3D with Frunk removed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They weren't broken and didn't need a fix. But I don't have one, so don't know if Tesla replaced the brackets with the correct ones if the owner complained or if the car was in for other service. I personally wouldn't care as long as they worked as intended and had the same durability as the original part.

It was kinda broken or they wouldn't have needed to add in the additional support. If they aren't adding in the additional support something has been fixed.

The brackets and straps are not there to fix anything. All the cars have them. They are probably there for vibration isolation or to hold a few pieces together.

that's kind of my point. This car does not have one where as the earlier ones did. I have to assume they beefed up the supporting bracket. If you look at the pic at the start of the thread there is no strap like this:

Tesla Model Y Owners Find Cooling System Cobbled Together With Home Depot-Grade Fake Wood

that's kind of my point. This car does not have one where as the earlier ones did. I have to assume they beefed up the supporting bracket. If you look at the pic at the start of the thread there is no strap like this:

Tesla Model Y Owners Find Cooling System Cobbled Together With Home Depot-Grade Fake Wood
I see what you mean now, but no Model 3 ever had those brackets on their condenser because they didn't start building them with heat pumps until more than 2 months later than the news came out that some Model Y had them. I'm sure Tesla received plenty of backlash over that and did not keep using the brackets if they didn't need them or if they could change the condenser to not need them

If you're familiar with Sandy Munro and his engineering firm's Tesla teardowns, it's interesting to see that his Model Y condenser has the wooden brackets (you can see them here
and here
). This Model Y was one of the very first ones made in the first quarter of the year. He and his engineers took every single little thing apart and looked through it with a fine-toothed comb. He never criticized anything about the brackets on the condenser.

And finally here's a 3rd video with a close-up look of the condenser or LCC at the 8:15 mark

I also remember Sandy Munro saying that Tesla made changes to the heat pump system (more specifically the Octovalve) really quickly, and that cars made 2 months later than his in the 2nd quarter had changes.

But as you can see, he never says (and AFAIK never said) anything negative and those brackets and banding on the condenser/LCC.

What's a 2021? ;) Anything built up through New Year's Eve would still be considered 2020, right? Or has Tesla started playing the legacy manufacturers' game to get people thinking they're buying a model that won't be out of date for another year?

What's a 2021? ;) Anything built up through New Year's Eve would still be considered 2020, right? Or has Tesla started playing the legacy manufacturers' game to get people thinking they're buying a model that won't be out of date for another year?
Tesla started using the "traditional" model years in Q3 of 2019. Probably too many people complaining about getting current year models towards the end of the year, or refusing them or holding off until they could get the newer ones. I still prefer the simple way it used to be where the model year is the year it was made, but too many people worry about resale value.

• Informative
Reactions: thecloud
It’s a Model 3 Performance without the Performance Upgrade Package so while it has the same performance as the Performance it doesn’t have the Performance wheels, brakes, and suspension but it still costs the same as the Performance which begs the question why get the Performance without the Performance Upgrade Package but you see this is somewhat of a moot point because Tesla no longer offers this option.

This is tempting me to resurrect some old opinionated posts! Suffice to say what most of us refer to as P3D- is arguably the best of all worlds... And yes I'm biased as I have one, and after over 2 years (and my good friends twinner P3D with 4 tire blowouts later) I wouldn't have it any other way... Speed, comfort, safety. Am going to get my Y exactly the same way!

Reactions: android04
This is tempting me to resurrect some old opinionated posts! Suffice to say what most of us refer to as P3D- is arguably the best of all worlds... And yes I'm biased as I have one, and after over 2 years (and my good friends twinner P3D with 4 tire blowouts later) I wouldn't have it any other way... Speed, comfort, safety. Am going to get my Y exactly the same way!

Is your good friend legally blind??

• Funny
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
You make a solid point. I’m at 25k with two screws and zero blowouts/pothole damage/curb damage on my 20’s.

Yup, I posted the paragraph below last month in another thread where myths about the 20s came up.

I live in the Chicago area and have been downtown Chicago (potholes galore) multiple times with my 20" wheels. Zero issues. Pay attention and don't drive into giant potholes and they are fine. The 20" issues are overblown. Just like 19" issues were when they started shipping on cars and 18" before that. I've been watching the worry warts on different car forums for years. The basic fact is if you hit a massive pothole or an object in the road at speed with ANY setup, you are susceptible to damage.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Tesla started using the "traditional" model years in Q3 of 2019. Probably too many people complaining about getting current year models towards the end of the year, or refusing them or holding off until they could get the newer ones. I still prefer the simple way it used to be where the model year is the year it was made, but too many people worry about resale value.

TBH, the vast majority of us are getting our cars only a couple of days or a week before 2021. I’m picking up 12/30. Might as well be 2021.