Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Performance Model 3 - Several questions from a driver.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not a drag racer and would probably only use Track Mode to decrease regen. Count me among the major minority who hates the heavy regen. I don't like one-pedal driving and don't want to "get used to it." I know there was a Regen Low option but that's unfortunately been removed from the latest cars.

Following this thread closely, as track mode is one of the items that is attracting me to the performance model. It's usability or usefulness on the street is now in question.

Also, regarding the track mode, there's a similar thread discussing the usefulness of track mode compared to a "sport button" that would essentially allow for a bigger slip angle and more dialed down TC settings which sounds to be a better medium, especially on the street.

Super annoying about the post editing thing.

Audi seemed to have the sport TC thing pretty incredibly dialled in. It’s like it was made for drifting in the snow, but still keeping you on the road. Should have been called “hooning mode”. Disappointed to hear Tesla doesn’t have something similar without full on track mode, which sounds like it has some unnecessary annoyances for what I’m after.

Interestingly, this guy seemed to be able to (so he says) get 15-20% slip angle before TC kicked in, with all the nanny’s on in the model 3. Watch from 6:15 to 7:00. Now this clip is 2 years old, so maybe Tesla changed the TC behaviour since then? Or he’s just lying, or they gave him a tester with different software?

After watching this video, I am now back to wanting a performance model.

Following this thread closely, as track mode is one of the items that is attracting me to the performance model. It's usability or usefulness on the street is now in question.
You were attracted to a car that had "track mode" because you hoped to use it on the street?

It's kinda funny to see most of TMC over worrying about their "safety score" so they can become one of Elon's chosen ones, while others are asking about slip angles that can be achieved on their daily drives ;)

You were attracted to a car that had "track mode" because you hoped to use it on the street?

It's kinda funny to see most of TMC over worrying about their "safety score" so they can become one of Elon's chosen ones, while others are asking about slip angles that can be achieved on their daily drives ;)

A little skewed but here's my clarification.

I was attracted to the performance variance of the model 3 because it has track mode. Separately, I am interested in knowing how useable the feature is on the street, primarily for the winter season when there's a lot of snow on the road. It's one way to make cold winters fun ;)

I hope you're aware that there're cars out there with no ABS, no TC and no stability control driving right next to you on the same roads you drive on.

Well track mode would be awesome if your commute involves a vast deserted frozen lake like in that video. But around town, not so much.

Note that it doesn't provide the ability to make the car RWD or even to turn off the traction control. All you can do is shift the power/stability balance rearward and reduce the stability control enough to allow for oversteer, spins, donuts, etc. But you can't simply light up the rear wheels from a stop and do some low-speed drifting, you have to be going fast enough to start a natural oversteer before it will break loose.

Also it's a fairly expensive and low car to be thrashing around in snowbanks with hidden curbs and stuff.

Reactions: gearchruncher
I hope you're aware that there're cars out there with no ABS, no TC and no stability control driving right next to you on the same roads you drive on.
And I hope you're aware that those cars tend to not have ~500+HP and 500 lb/ft of torque at ZERO RPM, and were all sold about 20+ years ago.
Go look up Dyno Mode. These cars are undrivable without TC.

But to answer the base question. Yes, you can use Track mode on the street. Yes, it gives you nice control over ESC aggressiveness, and lets you go basically RWD if you want. Yes, they purposefully make it annoying to turn on, given the street is rarely the appropriate place to use this.

Reactions: edconline and Sam1
battery temp - just use scheduled departure and your battery will be warm every morning.
Track mode - have it, never use it, and i doubt anyone OUTSIDE the track would need it. none of the settings inside track mode matter in a straight line, so you're not going to get any better "light to light" speed. if you're a crazy person and drift through intersections, then sure, it can do that lol.

it's funny how people always want more from the M3P, especially people that haven't driven it before. it's about as much as any normal person can handle, and if you take away any of the TC you could end up in a ditch. Just watch the countless videos of people driving on the street in DYNO mode, the power these motor's have when unchecked is hard to fathom.

This isn't my experience? Sliding the bias slider all the way to the rear makes the car very much feel RWD (and much slower on a real track).
Fully agree that you can't turn off TC.

I believe he means a true RWD. If you have the car set to 100% rear bias and you punch the throttle from a stop, the front motor still puts out max power on the launch. That's not RWD, that's essentially just nerfing AWD in certain scenarios.

I believe he means a true RWD. If you have the car set to 100% rear bias and you punch the throttle from a stop, the front motor still puts out max power on the launch. That's not RWD, that's essentially just nerfing AWD in certain scenarios.
i believe it's been proven the bias only comes into play when the wheel is turned, punching it straight just acts as normal.

battery temp - just use scheduled departure and your battery will be warm every morning.
Track mode - have it, never use it, and i doubt anyone OUTSIDE the track would need it. none of the settings inside track mode matter in a straight line, so you're not going to get any better "light to light" speed. if you're a crazy person and drift through intersections, then sure, it can do that lol.

it's funny how people always want more from the M3P, especially people that haven't driven it before. it's about as much as any normal person can handle, and if you take away any of the TC you could end up in a ditch. Just watch the countless videos of people driving on the street in DYNO mode, the power these motor's have when unchecked is hard to fathom.
Outstanding; drifting through intersections is the goal. Excited for it to snow here to test this stuff out.
Agree to disagree with the majority of comments here about not being appropriate to use on the street. This isn’t LA, I’m in northern Canada lol. Aside from a moose, if I go out early on a Sunday morning, I’m the only thing on the road.

I’m sure my safety score would be abysmal - but I bought the the car to have fun in, be a daily/winter beater, and see if I liked EV’s. Had zero to do with caring about the environment, wanting it to drive me around autonomously, or any of that other nonsense that (I fully realize) most Tesla owners bought them for.

I love cars, modifying them, and driving like the world is my playground everytime I’m behind the wheel. And I’m sure that more and more guys like me will start to come to EV’s from M3’s, RS3’s, corvettes, hellcats, etc - as long as you can still fool around *on the street*.

fortunately, it sounds like you can.

Outstanding; drifting through intersections is the goal. Excited for it to snow here to test this stuff out.
Agree to disagree with the majority of comments here about not being appropriate to use on the street. This isn’t LA, I’m in northern Canada lol. Aside from a moose, if I go out early on a Sunday morning, I’m the only thing on the road.

I’m sure my safety score would be abysmal - but I bought the the car to have fun in, be a daily/winter beater, and see if I liked EV’s. Had zero to do with caring about the environment, wanting it to drive me around autonomously, or any of that other nonsense that (I fully realize) most Tesla owners bought them for.

I love cars, modifying them, and driving like the world is my playground everytime I’m behind the wheel. And I’m sure that more and more guys like me will start to come to EV’s from M3’s, RS3’s, corvettes, hellcats, etc - as long as you can still fool around *on the street*.

fortunately, it sounds like you can.
The world is your oyster and the roads are your track when no one is around have a blast with track mode on. The M3P is an amazing car I got min in Jan of this year and have basically bought all of the Mountain Pass Performance suspension parts to make it drive better than my previous F10 M5. The safety score is really odd mine would be 0 I am sure if I drove like I normally drive, but got it at 98 and still wonder how the heck it thinks I am doing some aggressive turns when I am driving like I haven't driven since I was doing my drivers test 25 years ago. If you haven't already I strongly recommend all of MPP's suspension parts it really turns the M3P into a true performance weapon.

And yeah, something is stoopid with this forum. They don't let you edit your posts. The story I heard was that the admins run this board from a nursing home and have never actually seen the internet themselves.
Not sure what you mean you can't edit your posts. I can and have edited my posts after making them. Just click the three dots to the right of "report" and one of the options is to edit.