Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Performance vibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

I'm coming from a 2019 Performance with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, and i picked up a 2021 Performance with P-Zero's last monday. First thing i noticed going on the highway after delivery was a vibration, from 80 and up to 125 km/t, i can feel it in the seat, armrest and slighly in the steering wheel, not a shaking in the steering wheel but a ever so little vibration. Driving in a curve on the hightway at 100-110 makes the front/steering wheel vibrate more than driving straight, I checked the balancing on all 4 wheels at work, 3 wheels needed 10g, and last one 20g, but it did not make any difference.

Have anyone else experienced the same? i suspect some tire fault/flat spotting on the P-Zero's, but have anyone had a bad alignment causes this?

I have set up an appointment next week, a ranger is gonna test drive it, but wanted to check here if anyone have had this issue.
Same for me. I thought I was going crazy!! I traded in my 2019 M3P for a new 2021 M3P and I immediately noticed the difference in the tires driving them back to back. I’ve taken 2 Tesla technicians on test drives and they both don’t notice it. They sent me on my way with an “unable to reproduce” diagnosis and did absolutely nothing. I guess my option now is to either buy new tires or buy a new car? This is immensely frustrating. Has anyone tried contacting Pirelli directly for replacement tires? Did that fix this issue for you?

First thing I did on my 21 was order ps4s the day I took delivery and removed those crap ass pirellis.
Did that immediately fix the vibration? Did you use the exact same size in the ps4s or did you go a little wider to avoid the stretch fitment? The 20” Uberturbines are 0.5” wider than the old version 20” wheel. Any issues with tire rub with the ps4s? Can you post some close up pics of your new tires so we can see what the fitment looks like (compared to the stretch fitment of the Pirellis?

Did that immediately fix the vibration? Did you use the exact same size in the ps4s or did you go a little wider to avoid the stretch fitment? The 20” Uberturbines are 0.5” wider than the old version 20” wheel. Any issues with tire rub with the ps4s? Can you post some close up pics of your new tires so we can see what the fitment looks like (compared to the stretch fitment of the Pirellis?
The vibration is more than likely from the wheels and not your tires. Handful of people here have had issues with wheels being bent from the factory. As for the size, it's the 235/35/20 t0 spec. These are almost a full inch wider than the factory pirellis.

Reactions: Stevs6382

You can see there's an enormous difference as compared to the new pirellis.

PXL_20211007_142355967.jpeg

PXL_20211007_142516987.jpeg

You can see there's an enormous difference as compared to the new pirellis.

View attachment 735992

View attachment 735993
Those look SOOO much better! Thanks for the pics. The stretch fittment of the Pirellis looks just so wrong to me. Maybe Tesla switched to the skinny Pirellis to squeeze out a few more miles out of the battery? Seems hardly worth it to me, especially on the performance model 3.

The vibration is more than likely from the wheels and not your tires. Handful of people here have had issues with wheels being bent from the factory. As for the size, it's the 235/35/20 t0 spec. These are almost a full inch wider than the factory pirellis.
I certainly hope its not the wheels. I took It to a tire shop and had the tires rebalanced, as a process of elimination to help diagnose. No change to the vibration. I would hope that the tire shop would notice if it was bent and say something to me when checking the wheel on the balancing machine. They said the tires are perfect, no signs of irregular wear. So it‘s probably not alignment either. Still think it’s my tires, but thats an expensive trail and error experiment for me when i have to pay that out of pocket.

Those look SOOO much better! Thanks for the pics. The stretch fittment of the Pirellis looks just so wrong to me. Maybe Tesla switched to the skinny Pirellis to squeeze out a few more miles out of the battery? Seems hardly worth it to me, especially on the performance model 3.

Not sure on the actual answer to that. It may be because of range, but, the pirellis are also softer. So there's really no way for us to know if it was a money decision or range decision unless tesla releases the data.

As for the wheels, one of the 19" on my last model 3 had to be replaced because it was out of round. Vibrations usually happen because of the tire, wheel, or rotor, and not an alignment (unless something is actually loose).

I certainly hope its not the wheels. I took It to a tire shop and had the tires rebalanced, as a process of elimination to help diagnose. No change to the vibration. I would hope that the tire shop would notice if it was bent and say something to me when checking the wheel on the balancing machine. They said the tires are perfect, no signs of irregular wear. So it‘s probably not alignment either. Still think it’s my tires, but thats an expensive trail and error experiment for me when i have to pay that out of pocket.
Inspecting for a bent wheel with only the naked eye can be hard to catch unless the wheel(s) are severely bent. The best way to find that type of imperfection is on a wheel balancer, where it spins the wheel at a high speed making the flat spot visible as a “wobble” while the wheel spins. It is possible for a technician to miss a bent rim on a wheel balancer as they may not be looking at the actual wheel while it’s spinning but, rather the screen on the balancer which indicates the amount of weight and where it is needed to balance out the wheel. They SHOULD have caught it, but in the real world I’ve seen technicians get tunnel vision on checking wheel balance and overlook a bend rim. In the future, I would recommend verbiage about checking for bent wheels and performing a wheel balance on the repair order just to verify all bases are covered.

Reactions: Stevs6382
First ride with the summer wheels today, i started this thread and had a vibration, got two complete new wheels (rim+tires) but due to winter i did not had the chance of driving with the new wheels before today.

Installed the new wheels at the rear (which was where i felt the vibration) and the vibration is now gone. I can, however feel a ever so slighly vibration in the steering wheel now and then on the highway in high speeds, so the two wheels that is not replaced may also have some vibration, but it is much much better now and does not bother me anymore.

However, again, the Pirelli's is a rougher ride than the Michelin's, thats for sure.

First ride with the summer wheels today, i started this thread and had a vibration, got two complete new wheels (rim+tires) but due to winter i did not had the chance of driving with the new wheels before today.

Installed the new wheels at the rear (which was where i felt the vibration) and the vibration is now gone. I can, however feel a ever so slighly vibration in the steering wheel now and then on the highway in high speeds, so the two wheels that is not replaced may also have some vibration, but it is much much better now and does not bother me anymore.

However, again, the Pirelli's is a rougher ride than the Michelin's, thats for sure.
Thanks for the update. So just To clarify, you’re saying that the Michelins were an improvement but the ultimate remedy to the vibration is wheel replacement?