Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Plaid - Here we go again! SSDD and tires...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the N2itive control arms already. Need to get them installed
I don't think I need all the adjustability and the associated price, not to mention Tesla is more likely to notice them when in for service. I am thinking about doing something more low-key.

So I ordered the Macsboost camber adjustment kit. It should get it where I need it and I'll use the $$$ saved toward a big brake kit that Tesla will definitely notice. ;-)

I don't think I need all the adjustability and the associated price, not to mention Tesla is more likely to notice them when in for service. I am thinking about doing something more low-key.

So I ordered the Macsboost camber adjustment kit. It should get it where I need it and I'll use the $$$ saved toward a big brake kit that Tesla will definitely notice. ;-)
Let us know how it goes!

Reactions: Fastcar
So here is a Question..tires have +-6k on them (4s and 21s)..you look at the inner wear and see nothing..do you feel comfortable going on a 350 mile road trip (total 700 miles)? Or in my case swap out the 21s for the 19s?
This problem is related to alignment issues. If your camber is not too negative and your toe is reasonably neutral you are fine (and lucky).

Too many of us have cars that came with too much negative camber (-2.7 and -2.9 for me) and out of range toe. The N2itive arms allow it to be fixed. They are expensive but still less than replacing tires repeatedly. And the car is much safer without the hidden danger of inner edge wear.

So here is a Question..tires have +-6k on them (4s and 21s)..you look at the inner wear and see nothing..do you feel comfortable going on a 350 mile road trip (total 700 miles)? Or in my case swap out the 21s for the 19s?
How many miles are on your tires? If less than 6-7K and the wear currently look "even", then I wouldn't bat an eye at it. If you're at 10K+ and you see some uneven wear or feathering, yeah, you might want to consider starting the trip with fresh sneakers.

Reactions: weleckid
I think the Macsboost camber kit is the most cost effective way to go to get you in the ballpark for camber. I don't have my alignment sheet in front of me but I think it was -1.1 and -1.3 on mine after installing the kit. One downside to the kit is there is no adjustment but will probably get many cars to a point where excessive inner tire wear isn't an issue.

I couldn't see paying for a lot of adjustability I don't really need nor having an aftermarket part that draws undue attention during warranty work. The Macsboost kit is pretty innocuous once installed.

For less than the price of 1 PS4 rear tire I am in the zone where there doesn't seem to be accelerated inner tire wear. For me that is a great ROI. Basically $200 for the Macsboost camber kit and $250 for install and alignment. Absolutely a no brainer for me.

Reactions: Sam1
Which normal non EV tires are you using and what size are they?
Michelin 4S. Same size in rear and up to 275 upfront from 265.
IMG_1634.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1632.jpeg
    IMG_1632.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1631.jpeg
    IMG_1631.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
The Macsboost shim option is a great alternative. Everyone running 21's should do something immediately or the rear camber. I am almost certain it isn't a question of if, but when, you'll have issues.
I am not mechanically inclined. Is the Macsboost shim easy to install or can I have it installed somewhere? Does it only need to be installed on rear? Thanks.

I am not mechanically inclined. Is the Macsboost shim easy to install or can I have it installed somewhere? Does it only need to be installed on rear? Thanks.
Only installed in the rear. You can easily do both sides in under an hour. Probably closer to 30-45 minutes if you are prepared. You'll spend as much time jacking the car up and getting the wheels off as putting in the shims themselves.

It's easy to farm out as well. The instructions are pretty good. A shop shouldn't charge you more than an hour of labor.

Reactions: Rbats