Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Plaid off the grid after software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I initiated a software update last night and when I checked this morning, it said that my car is up-to-date but navigation failed to download. So navigation is not working. It basically reset all my settings, deleted my driver profile, and after multiple tries of rebooting via complete shutoff and screen reboot, nothing changed. I had several notifications, at first ABS disabled, then USB drive not formatted, and now the ABS has gone away and only left with the USB notification and Navigation. I called Tesla multiple times and the 3rd guy told me that my car is unreachable. I can access the web via LTE and WiFI, but my car can't make outbound connections to Tesla's secure network. So my Tesla app doesn't know where my car is and I can only use it within proximity via Bluetooth. The agent can not connect and I can't even authenticate to do a factory reset because I would need to connect to their servers. He has never seen this before and told me that I will have to bring it in. The car is less than 2 days old and already a software upgrade has rendered basic infotainment essentials useless.

- No navigation
- The entertainment screen is blank, so no disney+, youtube, etc.
- I don't see any of the 32.22 new features so the car thinks it is up-to-date but it didn't install correctly.
- Broke the connection to Tesla's network so my car is off the grid.

Anyone has encountered this? The agent didn't advise this but he said if I was comfortable, he wanted me to disconnect the battery in the frunk. I'm am extremely unhappy with my short experience so far. I am dropping off my car to get ceramic coating and PPF on Monday, where it will be held for 1 week, and the earliest appointment is Oct 18. Arent' they supposed to come out to you to take care of it? The car is a $150k brick, sorta. It drives fine but many of its functions are unavailable. I'm still concerned about the ABS disabled message before the first reboot as I don't want to drive it in that condition.

Had the exact same thing happen to my new Plaid. Scheduled service through the App. It was logged as mobile service, but the service team reached out and said that I needed to bring it in and auto-scheduled an appointment for me. I brought the car in this morning and they were able to fix the problem in about 45 minutes while I waited. All of my settings, profiles, etc. returned without me having to do anything. The service agent at checkin said that they were expecting 4 more cars with the same issue.

Had the exact same thing happen to my new Plaid. Scheduled service through the App. It was logged as mobile service, but the service team reached out and said that I needed to bring it in and auto-scheduled an appointment for me. I brought the car in this morning and they were able to fix the problem in about 45 minutes while I waited. All of my settings, profiles, etc. returned without me having to do anything. The service agent at checkin said that they were expecting 4 more cars with the same issue.
Thanks for the quick response. Did they explain to you what was done? I can't believe I can't get a 45-minute appointment for more than 2 weeks. Even if they can fit me in sooner, I can't cancel my PPF appointment due to the fact that they are backlogged.

Thanks for the quick response. Did they explain to you what was done? I can't believe I can't get a 45-minute appointment for more than 2 weeks. Even if they can fit me in sooner, I can't cancel my PPF appointment due to the fact that they are backlogged.
The service agent didn’t say. This is what my invoice showed.

Technician verified customer's concern. Found the car lost remote access to mothership. Technician
proceeded with running the routine to setup production vehicle. Verified proper operation.

Technician verified customer's concern. Found the car lost remote access to mothership. Technician
proceeded with running the routine to setup production vehicle. Verified proper operation.
Thanks! Do you remember if you did the software install over wifi or LTE? I saw install ready and just pressed it and went to bed, but was not on Wifi. I'm afraid of it happening again in the future.

Also, did you drive the car in that state or did you play it safe and just took it for the appointment?

Also, did you drive the car in that state or did you play it safe and just took it for the appointment?
Oh, I definitely drove it 😁. I picked up the car Wednesday, drove it home and did all of my settings, infotainment preferences, key fobs, phones, homelink, etc. Then did the update, and like just like you discovered, wiped out a ton of features in the car - drove it Wednesday, Thursday and took it in this morning. The car drove fine, just inconvenient with no autopilot, music or voice commands. I wouldn't have had any issues continuing to drive it if I needed the car for a while.

I think that it was over LTE. I'm pretty sure that I hadn't added the car to my WiFi network when I allowed the update to start.

Same my first update when I got home was applied over LTE not wireless. I had not hooked up wireless yet. I have the same issues. Exact same boat as you. Same days even. I picked mine up Sept 29 Wednesday, update applied when it got home, before wireless and other settings applied. I can't control my car if I am not near it. App will not connect. And if i am near it, the Tesla app has very limited function esxcept unlock/lock. If i am far away, it cannot tell the car status, it just spins saying last seen... Adding keys it just says unknown key...it doesnt recognize my phone key is a phone.

Last edited:
I haven't brought it in yet. I tried to schedule a service appointment, but it only gave me mobile service visit option for next Thursday. They haven't responded yet on what to do, but I have been adding chat message around this thread there. My car is getting a ceramic coating right now (sadly I can't tell if it is locked or where it is while it is there, no clue other than miles driven if they have been joy riding).

For clarity, it all started with the same alert post update "Nagivation Unavailable - service required" then a host of issues per my other posts too. All software and fixedable it appears. My driver door latch was having issues but that seemed to resolve.

I haven't brought it in yet. I tried to schedule a service appointment, but it only gave me mobile service visit option for next Thursday. They haven't responded yet on what to do, but I have been adding chat message around this thread there. My car is getting a ceramic coating right now (sadly I can't tell if it is locked or where it is while it is there, no clue other than miles driven if they have been joy riding).

For clarity, it all started with the same alert post update "Nagivation Unavailable - service required" then a host of issues per my other posts too. All software and fixedable it appears. My driver door latch was having issues but that seemed to resolve.
Same situation here. Dropping my car off for PPF and opticoat for a week tomorrow. So it will be off the grid and no way to document any misdoings.

Mine has been in the shop for a week after going blank after a wifi update. (I had it 4 days and hated seeing the front scrape going onto the flatbed)
:( Sorry to hear. I just dropped my car off yesterday at the PPF shop for a week for full-front PPF and 2 coats of ceramic. It’s off the grid so there is no way for me to remotely monitor the car’s location and mileage. I trust the shop, but still, it’s worrying that the connectivity features that make the car so great is unavailable. I called my local service center and they told me that once the car is back in my possession, I can drop it off any day after 2pm. They can’t guarantee a wait, but I wouldn’t need to wait for my appointment date which is weeks out. Once it’s fixed, I don’t think I would feel comfortable doing any OTA updates. Maybe this was a sign to not drive the car before PPF is installed. Had I not had this problem, I would have driven it several hundred miles before the PPF appointment and it would have probably been bad.

:( Sorry to hear. I just dropped my car off yesterday at the PPF shop for a week for full-front PPF and 2 coats of ceramic. It’s off the grid so there is no way for me to remotely monitor the car’s location and mileage. I trust the shop, but still, it’s worrying that the connectivity features that make the car so great is unavailable. I called my local service center and they told me that once the car is back in my possession, I can drop it off any day after 2pm. They can’t guarantee a wait, but I wouldn’t need to wait for my appointment date which is weeks out. Once it’s fixed, I don’t think I would feel comfortable doing any OTA updates. Maybe this was a sign to not drive the car before PPF is installed. Had I not had this problem, I would have driven it several hundred miles before the PPF appointment and it would have probably been bad.
I hope that everything works out. I'm now opposite you - Plaid software issue fixed, but can't get my PPF appointment - several weeks backlog now. Heading up to the mountains hiking, and terrified about tiny rocks on the narrow paved mountain roads up to the trailhead.

BTW, this is my second Model S, and this loss of connectivity and bricking essential features software issue was the first time this ever happened. I did 56 software updates on my 2016 Model S, although most were over WiFi vs. OTA.

Reactions: Zarp
I hope that everything works out. I'm now opposite you - Plaid software issue fixed, but can't get my PPF appointment - several weeks backlog now. Heading up to the mountains hiking, and terrified about tiny rocks on the narrow paved mountain roads up to the trailhead.

BTW, this is my second Model S, and this loss of connectivity and bricking essential features software issue was the first time this ever happened. I did 56 software updates on my 2016 Model S, although most were over WiFi vs. OTA.
I did it over OTA because I live in a condo and the garage is below ground with no WiFi signal. During the update, it had a strong 3 bar LTE, which I guess is not enough. I've since purchased a Verizon MiFi mobile hotspot (4G LTE speed tested at 130-150 Mbps) that will hopefully help. The other option is to drive the car to a friend's house with a strong WiFi signal.

I went to the Dublin SC. As I was pulling up suddenly a Mobile message appeared in my service ticket that the Dublin is booked for 1 month; I should essentially turn away. So after days of no response to my service ticket, suddenly a quick message as I pull up. So they know when you are approaching.
It would have taken them 20 minutes or less to fix it. They haven't verfied a mobile onsite visit even though I have it scheduled. Hopefully they can address it with a mobile visit but your guys said that wouldnt work and he had to visit the shop. Dublin seems to be a hell zone, but probably all the shops busy.

Last edited:
Per your advice I'm dropping my car off at the SF service center tomorrow to get this fixed. They said it may take a day or two since it needs to be fixed remotely while connected to their equipment by the Tesla software team. I'm wondering if it's just better to wait for the next OTA update. Though they also said they can fix my door while they're at it (delivery defect), so I don't need my original appt anymore.

Per your advice I'm dropping my car off at the SF service center tomorrow to get this fixed. They said it may take a day or two since it needs to be fixed remotely while connected to their equipment by the Tesla software team. I'm wondering if it's just better to wait for the next OTA update. Though they also said they can fix my door while they're at it (delivery defect), so I don't need my original appt anymore.
How will you get the next OTA update without a connection to the mothership? Your car is off their secure network so they can't push anything nor can you see any future updates. Take it in and see if you can wait for it. One of the folks in this thread only waited 50 minutes for them to do the work.