Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Plaid off the grid after software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per your advice I'm dropping my car off at the SF service center tomorrow to get this fixed. They said it may take a day or two since it needs to be fixed remotely while connected to their equipment by the Tesla software team. I'm wondering if it's just better to wait for the next OTA update. Though they also said they can fix my door while they're at it (delivery defect), so I don't need my original appt anymore.

That’s good news. They’re treating you like a customer and accepted your car. Dublin ignored me. I should just go to SF or Berkely or San Jose SC.

you guys are more patient than I would be.

tell you what: if I paid $150k for a car and it was not taking an update and had features disabled because of that, I'd drive to the nearest SC and basically make a PITA out of myself until they reflashed the car, right then and there. full stop.

[rant] tesla does not deserve to sell cars that cost that much; they can't service them in decent time and I find it incredible that people continue to buy these when they KNOW what they are likely to be getting in to [/rant]

that's the cost of a whole house, in many areas of the country.

just incredible how much people will put up with just to patronize a brand. a brand that stopped caring about them, years ago.

Reactions: Wol747 and MIBryan
Hopefully the mobile visit tomorrow fixes it. But I suspect they won’t be able to. Seems they have to reset it to production state, which likely requires some advanced tools to get through the security. I’ll let you know. They already told one of the folks here mobile visit couldn’t fix it. I’ll let them try then followup here. Either way should be a quick fix.

The mobile team came to my house; couldn't fix it. It just wont accept commands remotely through the wireless connection or LTE. He mentioned they couldn't even push a new certificate for connection. But they acknowledged this is not an uncommon issue now. They scheduled time at a SC. I will keep checking for sooner dates. My guess is just a software fix.

Last edited:
I spoke too soon... there no QC anymore. Car wasn't ready so I waited 15 min and they drove it around. There is a bolt on the floor... I hope they replaced it. The rear screen doesn't work. Infotainment controls aren't working. The front is scraped from the flatbed and there's bird *sugar* on my car. Roadside service scheduled for the 20th. Sigh. So check things out before you drive away. Maybe I should have waited until year MY2022.

Reactions: hcdavis3
After playing around a little, these guys (phone or mobile support) use the same tool we use in app to schedule service. In the Bay Area, apparently have 6 service centers within 1 hour of me. So I just kept checking it and using manage appointment, reschedule and see what pops up. You have to check a lot, but there are sooner appointments that appear then disappear. If you want a sooner appointment, just keep checking in the app as people cancel. I have a Monday appointment now.

Well, my car is now back and connected to the mothership. I was able to take the car to the SF service center without an appointment and they were able to return it to me in 24 hrs. They forced an update to 2021.32.22 and ensured me that it shouldn't happen again when there is a software update.

I initiated a software update last night and when I checked this morning, it said that my car is up-to-date but navigation failed to download. So navigation is not working. It basically reset all my settings, deleted my driver profile, and after multiple tries of rebooting via complete shutoff and screen reboot, nothing changed. I had several notifications, at first ABS disabled, then USB drive not formatted, and now the ABS has gone away and only left with the USB notification and Navigation. I called Tesla multiple times and the 3rd guy told me that my car is unreachable. I can access the web via LTE and WiFI, but my car can't make outbound connections to Tesla's secure network. So my Tesla app doesn't know where my car is and I can only use it within proximity via Bluetooth. The agent can not connect and I can't even authenticate to do a factory reset because I would need to connect to their servers. He has never seen this before and told me that I will have to bring it in. The car is less than 2 days old and already a software upgrade has rendered basic infotainment essentials useless.

- No navigation
- The entertainment screen is blank, so no disney+, youtube, etc.
- I don't see any of the 32.22 new features so the car thinks it is up-to-date but it didn't install correctly.
- Broke the connection to Tesla's network so my car is off the grid.

Anyone has encountered this? The agent didn't advise this but he said if I was comfortable, he wanted me to disconnect the battery in the frunk. I'm am extremely unhappy with my short experience so far. I am dropping off my car to get ceramic coating and PPF on Monday, where it will be held for 1 week, and the earliest appointment is Oct 18. Arent' they supposed to come out to you to take care of it? The car is a $150k brick, sorta. It drives fine but many of its functions are unavailable. I'm still concerned about the ABS disabled message before the first reboot as I don't want to drive it in that condition.
I got my car back today after a month wait service for the same problems and more. Tesla fixed the problems caused by solfware but all other hardware problems which I was told are normal (tesla normal) and because those hardwares were install by machines. At lease your plaid is better than a model 3 said, the tesla's tech. I think Elon may underpay his employees. Once I got home a new version 2021.36.5.1 update shows up for installation. I am so afraid of downloading the update this time.

I took delivery with the corrupted firmware, didn't notice until may drive home. Here were the symptoms (took from another thread):

- Dead Mobile App
- Youtube/Disney+/etc all missing/blank
- slacker/spotify missing
- Full self driving advanced vis says "not supported in your region"
- speed limit signs are all shaped like in europe - round with a red ring around them, vs rectangular USA style
- NAV is useless and can't download nav data even when on wifi.

U-turn back the Service Center and they kept it overnight to reflash. I have had Tesla cars since 2012 and the first time I have a seen a firmware update cause major issues.

"Confirmed reported concern. Reviewed vehicle log data. Found car computer requires recertification and navigation maps. Performed car computer recertification and updated navigation maps. Road tested vehicle. Verified vehicle is operating as expected with no faults or alerts present."

Since they fixed mine (firmware updates at a service center), mine has been working great so far. I have done 1 other update myself (at home wireless) since then too without issue. So likely whatever fix they do will repair, but strongly suggest you do updates only once strong wifi is connected.