Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Plaid was DOA this morning...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m happy yours is working since pulling the USB devices, mine was working via the app all morning but just got in and everything is dead again. I left it unplugged from the charger last night to see if that might have been causing an issue but obviously not. My brother was at the service center and a tech told him they’ve replaced a few 2021 S computers so looks like I may need to have mine replaced as well.
I hope that fixes the issue. I wonder what the problem really is. Like we'll ever hear anything from Tesla. I wonder if it is related to eMMC issues. That would absolutely make the most sense.

And I thought we had a nasty bit of bad luck when we had a flat tire on the way home from picking up our new S in September. And then we found out the tire couldn't be safely repaired and wasn't covered under the manufacturer's warranty. $400.00 for a new tire to replace one with under 110 miles on it. Compared to the problems described above we've been lucky. Hope things work out for the best for all of you and soon. I do have to agree regarding the problems with service. Tesla, please address and fix these problems with service. Is this the same Elon who is sending rockets into space on a regular basis?

I was able to verify the lights did work in this "offline" mode. As do the external markers, like turning signals, but I can't easy tell from within the car that they are on or not. The tactile buttons for signals have always been hit or miss. Sometimes I press them and it will blink once (flash to pass?) and other times they don't come on at all. When the DIC is working, I can see if the signals are actually on.

Definately no way to turn on A/C or defroster without the MCU. So yes, that wasn't working. Likely a safety issue if the defroster would become necessary. In my case, it wasn't.

Nearest Service Center is in New Orleans... 2 hours away. They've told me before that they won't pick up the car, repair it and drop it back off. That means I'd have to get it there by my own means... pay a tow truck to get it that and back, or risk driving it. Since this happened on a Friday, they wouldn't even lay eyes on it until Monday (today).
As a data point, one time a couple of years ago when my car would not accept a software update and was stuck, the screen went blank. I drove to the service center, and the service writer (or whatever they call them) said I could NOT leave with the car because there would be no defrost without the MCU and that was a safety issue. Obviously i did not disagree. They gave me a loaner (this must have been the "good old days") and the problem was resolved in a few days.
Good luck -- this sounds like a real downer on a brand new car.

So last night about 8:30pm, my SM in New Orleans texted me and said my car was now online. I ran out to the garage and it was! So my outage was about 48 hours. I checked everything... DIC, MCU, phone app, all were working normally.

Since the car was back online, he pulled all diagnostic logs and they only thing he found out of sorts was a report of USB file corruption on the Sentry drive (factory Tesla USB drive) in the glovebox. So I pulled that last night and (so far) no issues. We'll see if that holds. If so, I'm surprised the MCU can't get past a simple Linux fsck to verify/ignore attached filesystem issues. :rolleyes:
Interesting! My similar problem with a dead MCU (see my reply immediately above in this thread) had a similar cause -- a corrupted file in a USB memory stick i use for music. That caused the software installation to hang, and shut down the MCU.

Interesting! My similar problem with a dead MCU (see my reply immediately above in this thread) had a similar cause -- a corrupted file in a USB memory stick i use for music. That caused the software installation to hang, and shut down the MCU.
Well, that's interesting and adds some credence to the thought that a simple USB filesystem issue kills the MCU. As a very long time Linux guru, there has always been a pain point with the way NFS mounted filesystems work. This is the basis for the hard/soft mount options in NFS. I wonder if Tesla is using NFS to mount the USB devices to keep them from being native USB devices in the kernel (or a loadable module). This would reduce their need for additional security around the devices. Anything that close to the kernel could have an exploit at some point in the future. NFS could also have an exploit, but it's much less likely. A hard NFS mount should make the access to the USB filesystem more resilient which should solve some of the mysterious disappearing USB drives at random (which I've complained about in my 2021 Model S woes thread), so that pushes my thoughts the other direction... a hard NFS mount would break the MCU if it can't be mounted/accessed (what this thread is about), but a hard NFS mount would make the USB availability more consistent. I don't know. Maybe I'm overthinking it. Wouldn't be the first time I've been accused of that...

Oh, my good luck continues with the issue at hand. No dead MCU since removing all USB devices. I miss my Sentry clips and my USB music though. 😥

I did install an update a of couple days ago... 2021.40.6 and the most predominate feature seems to be the ability to view Sentry cameras from the mobile app. That's awesome and something I've been hoping for, and expecting, for some time.

Bad luck at the service center. The replacement computer was even more broken than the original. I nearly drove off and it froze. They encouraged me to "shake off the cobwebs" and take it home but I refused. They offered to take it in right then and it broke so badly they had to push it back into the shop.

Now going on 2 1/2 months it's been broken in about 4 1/2 months ownership.

They've done such a bad job of communicating. I haven't heard a single thing in a week. The HV battery is going to die in less than a day at this rate (draining 30+mi/day while in service for some reason) and I can't get a hold of anyone.

Far from a premium experience. Considering selling or lemon law at this point.

I'm taking a chance today by plugging in a replacement Sentry USB drive. I tried doing a full format on my Tesla OEM drive and it actually failed. It must have a hardware fault. I ordered a new Samsung Bar Plus 256GB and fully formatted it exFAT without issue. It's in the car now so we'll see if this holds.

You have a Plaid on 19's and have the ~45mph shimmy? Although I haven't been following the thread for this, yours is the first 19" tires I've heard of with the problem. So that eliminates tires/wheels as the issue. I never suspected that anyway, but others did. My Service Manager at the New Orleans Service Center drove my car and felt the "shimmy". He noted it in my records for any future fallout. My VIN is MF432. Ordered 10/2020.

Not a Model S here, but was looking for reports of a shimmy. Just started noticing one on our MYLR, 19" wheels, starts at around 60 mph and gets violent around 70+. Was initially wondering if I had thrown a wheel weight or if the tires just haven't warmed up (short drives lately and the temps are single digits above/below zero right now). What thread are you referring to following? I haven't seen it on searches...