Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Pricing Changes on Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The biggest difference with Tesla and other car purchases is, if I order a new tesla in CA and pick it up a week from now, someone ordering and buying the same build in Oklahoma will pay the same price if they pick up the same day I do. Most car dealers now have regional programs, so (for example) BMW incentives in CA are different than BMW incentives in Oklahoma, or New York.

But yeah tesla does do incentives sometimes, to move inventory cars just like other car dealers. Tesla "salespeople" say stuff to move cars that is sometimes incorrect, just like other car dealers. There is no promise that a discount on the car wont happen the day after you drive it home, just like other car dealers.

The only part of a tesla transaction that is different is that the pricing on ordered cars is usually the same at a specific date and time across the nation, and its "easier". You dont have to do research to avoid getting ripped off.

Otherwise, its a regular car transaction, with all the pitfalls of one.
Between Tesla price adjustments and limited time incentives, varying degrees of inventory availability and discounts by region/location, varying tax credits by state, etc., the idea that everyone pays the same just doesn't exist IMO. One way or another, prices are going to change or be different depending on various factors.

I also think that once a car is purchased, it's best to stop shopping as you are very likely going to find lower prices due to price reductions, increased rebates, etc. in the days, weeks or months ahead. The supposed "best price" today may not be such a great price tomorrow and fretting too much over it can take away from the enjoyment of ownership.

Reactions: ganderking
Agree about the internet making things more transparent with traditional dealers, but you still have to negotiate. MachE is a good example of where I can't find any at Ford's sticker price.. yet. Same thing with MB with the "starting at" price. Tesla did sell me the SR at the advertised price, even though I'm not related to Elon (went to school with him, but that's a different story!)

Tesla everyone pays "menu price" on the same day at least. They make their real money with emission credits and thier stock :) I wonder why their non-commissioned sales model hasn't caught on more..

You don't "have to" negotiate, you can choose to negotiate. As far as MSRPs go, they're not really magical numbers IMO. Sometimes demand may demonstrate that the price is too low, and transaction pricing should actually be above MSRP. This more often occurs with all-new models or in segments that may be new to the manufacturer, although even there it's rare. Sometimes the price is too high and discounts or rebates are needed.

Whether above or below MSRP, whether haggle or no haggle, prices fluctuate. A car starting out with prices $5k over MSRP and then adjusting down to MSRP is essentially the same as a car starting out selling for MSRP and then dropping down to $5k below. Manufacturer prices aren't always "right" and Tesla is certainly no exception which is why you can see price adjustments and/or fluctuating discounts (new inventory cars) and/or short-term freebies/incentives throughout the year.

I think car shopping and ownership would be more enjoyable for people if they didn't fixate so much on trying to get the so-called "best price."

I have to wonder if the large price drop on the 2022 Chevy Bolt, and the rather affordable 2022 Bolt EUV announced on Sunday has something to do with the price drop on the base models.

Also interesting that the price changes are not across the board. I'm in Canada, and pricing has not changed here.

I have to wonder if the large price drop on the 2022 Chevy Bolt, and the rather affordable 2022 Bolt EUV announced on Sunday has something to do with the price drop on the base models.

Also interesting that the price changes are not across the board. I'm in Canada, and pricing has not changed here.

I would say it has more to do with the Mach-E and all the headlines it's been getting. I mean, unless you're looking for cheap entry level EV, you aren't cross shopping a FWD Hatchback with a RWD Sedan, at least I don't think.

You don't "have to" negotiate, you can choose to negotiate. As far as MSRPs go, they're not really magical numbers IMO. Sometimes demand may demonstrate that the price is too low, and transaction pricing should actually be above MSRP. This more often occurs with all-new models or in segments that may be new to the manufacturer, although even there it's rare. Sometimes the price is too high and discounts or rebates are needed.

Whether above or below MSRP, whether haggle or no haggle, prices fluctuate. A car starting out with prices $5k over MSRP and then adjusting down to MSRP is essentially the same as a car starting out selling for MSRP and then dropping down to $5k below. Manufacturer prices aren't always "right" and Tesla is certainly no exception which is why you can see price adjustments and/or fluctuating discounts (new inventory cars) and/or short-term freebies/incentives throughout the year.

I think car shopping and ownership would be more enjoyable for people if they didn't fixate so much on trying to get the so-called "best price."

Yeah for the most part, I don't mind negotiating, if the dealers would budge and I get a "deal". I use MSRP as a yardstick starting point too, but the problem with the dealer model is too many middle men. I know that's changing now w/ internet where a lot of dealers profit center is not the car's selling price. Doesn't help that I don't need to finance either, but it helps to just do it so they can make their #s and give you a deal.

Tesla was the only one that I didn't have to play these games and got a deal thanks to tax credits etc. But the game is more fun when you're winning :)

I wouldn't compare to 3 or Y to this GM box: Redesigned 2022 Bolt EV: Electric Vehicle | Chevrolet maybe Caddy EVs? Anything close to 3/Y price points?

So if I am waiting for delivery next week or so, I should ask for this discount right?
Hell yes. You can walk away and lose only $100, so definitely the negotiating chips are in your hands and Tesla will likely rather you just take delivery than you walk away because of this. That is presuming the price change didn't already automatically happen for you.

b/c Tesla doesn't "keep the credit" as other dealers do. Some like Pacifica even advertise the price w.$7.5K built-in making it hard to cross-shop.

I don't like my car dropping in value too, but that's why I bought a black 3 SR (which with the tax credits) is still the cheapest one out there. That being said if the Y stays at this price, with the $7k credit I'm trading :)My only hope is 3 trade-in/used prices don't drop 7K by then.
Yeah, if the price stays the same after $7k, I'm heavily considering trading my 2021 Model 3 SR+, even though I don't want the hassle of going through all the new car process (plus there are some state incentives that require me to keep the car a certain amount of time). Perhaps I will ask the trade value regardless and see how much it would cost me.

Except you can't stop the OTA updates and user interface downgrades.
You can actually for quite some time (I'm still on the factory software version without the UI change, I just close the message asking me to update every time). I don't think I will update yet until all the delivery issues are addressed (SC still waiting for parts).

Hell yes. You can walk away and lose only $100, so definitely the negotiating chips are in your hands and Tesla will likely rather you just take delivery than you walk away because of this. That is presuming the price change didn't already automatically happen for you.
In the manage page if you look under the completed task and click show details you will see they updated the price at least they did for me.

Except even when you are willing to buy for MSRP, dealerships aren't necessarily willing to sell it to you at MSRP if the car is in demand. That doesn't happen with Tesla, they don't have a mechanism where they can sell the car to the highest bidder. Also MSRP already has all the overhead and middleman profits factored into the price (plus room for negotiation and sometimes factory kickbacks and incentives that don't apply to all buyers), that's why people are expected to negotiate.

And having read this article and comments talking about the "four square" trick dealers use, it's easy to see two different people buying the exact same car in the same dealership may end up paying significantly different prices.
Apparently Some Car Dealers Think It's OK To Detain Customers Against Their Will

As for Tesla, they may give low values for trade-ins (as practically all dealers do also), but they aren't playing tricks with the purchase price of the car back and forth like dealers are when they "four square" you.

Last edited:
Except even when you are willing to buy for MSRP, dealerships aren't necessarily willing to sell it to you at MSRP if the car is in demand. That doesn't happen with Tesla, they don't have a mechanism where they can sell the car to the highest bidder. Also MSRP already has all the overhead and middleman profits factored into the price (plus room for negotiation and sometimes factory kickbacks and incentives that don't apply to all buyers), that's why people are expected to negotiate.

And having read this article and comments talking about the "four square" trick dealers use, it's easy to see two different people buying the exact same car in the same dealership may end up paying significantly different prices.
Apparently Some Car Dealers Think It's OK To Detain Customers Against Their Will

As for Tesla, they may give low values for trade-ins (as practically all dealers do also), but they aren't playing tricks with the purchase price of the car back and forth like dealers are when they "four square" you.

"lose the keys" used to be more common, but I dont think very many people in decent dealerships (read, not "joe's crazy car lot, buy here pay here), get "4 squared" anymore.

I wouldn't compare to 3 or Y to this GM box: Redesigned 2022 Bolt EV: Electric Vehicle | Chevrolet maybe Caddy EVs? Anything close to 3/Y price points?

But the point is that there has not been much nationwide availability of affordable EV crossovers, leaving the Y as the default even if people are not looking for something with all the features that the Tesla has. The Kona Electric is very small, the Niro EV is impossible to actually buy, other are quite expensive.

In my case, for the vehicle my wife uses, the main requirement is something big enough to accommodate two Rottweilers and paraphernalia to take them to dog sporting events. Up until now, the only choice for an EV would have been the Model Y. With the Bolt EUV becoming available, we'd probably get that instead and save $10,000. Heck, it even has more range than the Standard Range Model Y.

Tesla’s MSRP also factors in overhead like real estate costs, inventory costs, employee salaries, etc. as well as varying degrees of profit and room to discount, reduce prices etc. Just because a retailer/dealer doesn’t negotiate doesn’t mean they are selling at the "best" or "lowest" price to the customer. Buyers can pay a hefty premium for the no haggle experience.

I also think what's described in the Jalopnik article is much more the exception than the rule. Given the nature of the author's business (getting paid to help people buy from "stealerships"), he and others like him have a bias in trying to keep these old dealership stereotypes out there as much as possible.

I guess this begs the question, is a LR worth $10k more than an SR+ ?
10k more? At least for me, not a chance. The only thing I really want that the LR has is the premium audio. I don’t care about the range, I have three cars parked out in front, the 0-60 is not a major deal for me but that premium audio is something I would’ve liked.

Aforementioned, if I knew a SR+ Y was coming out in early 2021 when I placed my order in late august of 2020, I would’ve waited for that.

Reactions: cdswm3
But the point is that there has not been much nationwide availability of affordable EV crossovers, leaving the Y as the default even if people are not looking for something with all the features that the Tesla has. The Kona Electric is very small, the Niro EV is impossible to actually buy, other are quite expensive.

Just curious, why is the Niro EV almost impossible to buy? I actually leased one from Kia at the start of the year. I know it’s not a buy but when I went to the dealership, they had to go to another dealership to pick it up. I didn’t have much trouble.