Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Pricing Changes on Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appears Tesla has changed the pricing in the US for the Tesla Model 3/Y.

Model 3 :
Standard Range Plus : $36,990 down from $37,990
Long Range : No change, $46,990
Performance : $55,990 increase from $54,990

Model Y:
Standard Range : $39,990 down from $41,990
Long Range : No change $49,990
Performance : $60,990 increase from $59,990

I don't think the price changes are based on the possible federal incentive. I think it's to match the changes in the market. At the end of 2020 there was A LOT of demand for the performance models (still is). It's also the only EV in it's class. Longer range, over 300 miles, high HP.

Long range, no reason to change the pricing. Lots of range vs the competition.

Short range, lots of competition (or upcoming competition) in this space. Think Volkswagen ID.4, Ford Mach-E, etc.

Tesla needs to keep the momentum going. Keep the numbers up quarter after quarter. Market confidence to pursue all the innovate technology they continue to do. 4860 battery, CyberTruck, Semi, Roadster... because while these products have been announced they have not yet been manufactured where in lies the difficulties.

Reactions: vickh
I don't think the price changes are based on the possible federal incentive. I think it's to match the changes in the market. At the end of 2020 there was A LOT of demand for the performance models (still is). It's also the only EV in it's class. Longer range, over 300 miles, high HP.

Long range, no reason to change the pricing. Lots of range vs the competition.

Short range, lots of competition (or upcoming competition) in this space. Think Volkswagen ID.4, Ford Mach-E, etc.

Tesla needs to keep the momentum going. Keep the numbers up quarter after quarter. Market confidence to pursue all the innovate technology they continue to do. 4860 battery, CyberTruck, Semi, Roadster... because while these products have been announced they have not yet been manufactured where in lies the difficulties.
Whoops, assumed it was increased all round... didnt noticed standard ranged decreased. I feel better, sucks for peeps who bought SR :/

God I feel so salty right now. I bought a new model 3 2021 sr+ at the end of 2020 after feeling like the Model Y was too expensive even though thats what I wanted. Then a month later the SR+ Y comes out, and now my car depreciates another 2k, all this in less than 2 months of ownership. Feels bad man.
Lol same deal (I also wanted a Y actually, but it was too expensive back then, so I got a 2021 Model 3 SR+ at the end of the year). But given I needed to get a new car, I couldn't wait and see anyways. But for Model 3 SR+ the drop is only $1000, not $2000. It's Model Y SR that got a $2000 drop.

Regardless, the tax credit returning is a bigger deal than these drops as that's $7000. Anyways, this is the expected way for Teslas (either price drops or new features). Owners in China have been subject to even bigger drops previously.

Reactions: ottermode
Lol same deal (I also wanted a Y actually, but it was too expensive back then, so I got a 2021 Model 3 SR+ at the end of the year). But given I needed to get a new car, I couldn't wait and see anyways. But for Model 3 SR+ the drop is only $1000, not $2000. It's Model Y SR that got a $2000 drop.

Regardless, the tax credit returning is a bigger deal than these drops as that's $7000. Anyways, this is the expected way for Teslas (either price drops or new features). Owners in China have been subject to even bigger drops previously.
Ah you’re right, forgot about the extra 1k I paid for paint. I hope the tax credit takes 2 more years to pass so I can upgrade and feel like the depreciation hit wasn’t so bad haha :(

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
what's the ETA for the credit? Just talk or are there actual bills?
There's a proposal already, so it's likely to pass some time this year with Democrats in control.
Tesla to get access to $7,000 tax credit on 400,000 more electric cars in the US with new incentive reform - Electrek

In the articles that reported on it, there was mention that GM and Tesla may face people waiting for the credit to return and holding off on purchases. So this price drop may actually be a response to that to spur sales before the law passes.

There's a proposal already, so it's likely to pass some time this year with Democrats in control.
Tesla to get access to $7,000 tax credit on 400,000 more electric cars in the US with new incentive reform - Electrek

In the articles that reported on it, there was mention that GM and Tesla may face people waiting for the credit to return and holding off on purchases. So this price drop may actually be a response to that to spur sales before the law passes.

Hmmm.....$1,000 discount versus possible $7,000 credit. I’ll wait.

Appears Tesla has changed the pricing in the US for the Tesla Model 3/Y.

Model 3 :
Standard Range Plus : $36,990 down from $37,990
Long Range : No change, $46,990
Performance : $55,990 increase from $54,990

Model Y:
Standard Range : $39,990 down from $41,990
Long Range : No change $49,990
Performance : $60,990 increase from $59,990
Why would Tesla lower their prices if the gov't is getting ready for a credit? This will devalue the used cars out there.

• Disagree
Why would Tesla lower their prices if the gov't is getting ready for a credit? This will devalue the used cars out there.

b/c Tesla doesn't "keep the credit" as other dealers do. Some like Pacifica even advertise the price w.$7.5K built-in making it hard to cross-shop.

I don't like my car dropping in value too, but that's why I bought a black 3 SR (which with the tax credits) is still the cheapest one out there. That being said if the Y stays at this price, with the $7k credit I'm trading :)My only hope is 3 trade-in/used prices don't drop 7K by then.

Last edited: