Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Pricing Changes on Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haha. Sure. When you have the flexibility to just pay whatever asking/retail price for everything, things are more enjoyable. Same could be said for any large purchase, not just cars.
I'm not suggesting people naively pay whatever a retailer asks but rather that it's not worth obsessing over price so much that it unnecessarily takes away from the enjoyment of shopping or owning the item. It is also true that many people enjoy the price shopping and negotiating/haggling process. I put myself more in this category but still appreciate that a great price today may not be such a great price tomorrow, next week or next month. Prices will fluctuate and there’s not much you can do about it.

I guess this begs the question, is a LR worth $10k more than an SR+ ?

People who tend to defend Tesla to the very depths usually argue that Tesla has an expansive SC network that is untouched by all others, making Tesla the only EV brand worthwhile.

If that truly is the stance, then an extra 70-80 rated range for $10K more is the absolute worst value prop. The decision should rather be whether you want AWD for $10K, not do you want any marginal benefits of slightly more rated range.

People who tend to defend Tesla to the very depths usually argue that Tesla has an expansive SC network that is untouched by all others, making Tesla the only EV brand worthwhile.

If that truly is the stance, then an extra 70-80 rated range for $10K more is the absolute worst value prop. The decision should rather be whether you want AWD for $10K, not do you want any marginal benefits of slightly more rated range.

This is a great argument! in the process of deciding between SR+ and LR atm and haven't come across many advocates of LR bringing up supercharge network as a negation of a need for higher range, when you can top up in 5-10 min and eliminate the range anxiety. or do a 2-3 more charging session, saving $10k.

now what I'm curious about is that Tesla is entering faster depreciation cycle and perhaps leasing makes more sense.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
Just curious, why is the Niro EV almost impossible to buy? I actually leased one from Kia at the start of the year. I know it’s not a buy but when I went to the dealership, they had to go to another dealership to pick it up. I didn’t have much trouble.

Here is Canada, there is virtually no inventory, and if you find one, it's only the higher trim model which costs as much as the SR Model Y.

I mostly agree with this but the SR has less range AND charges at slower speeds. The SR is currently capped at 170kw vs 250kw for LR so the combo of charging more often and at slower speeds may make more of a difference than some people think. All the necessary caveats still apply: small % of SuC are actually V3, peak charging speeds only occur w/ preconditioning and only to ~50% SoC before tapering.

I would've loved to get the SR but in my very specific use case of 1 car household, do lots of hiking/skiing in the mountains where weather/altitude means I am often at the edge of LR range in WA. I hope in the future that more fast charging is available to make lower range/cheaper EVs much more viable for someone like me.

• Disagree
This is a great argument! in the process of deciding between SR+ and LR atm and haven't come across many advocates of LR bringing up supercharge network as a negation of a need for higher range, when you can top up in 5-10 min and eliminate the range anxiety. or do a 2-3 more charging session, saving $10k.

now what I'm curious about is that Tesla is entering faster depreciation cycle and perhaps leasing makes more sense.

I’ve commented about leasing before.
IMO, it makes sense to lease a Tesla in many cases if you don’t plan on keeping it for more than three years or so. If you look back at S, X, and 3 prices from 2017-2018 and see what the resale and trade-in values are now, it’s a huge drop-off. Tesla is not immune to luxury car depreciation.

• Disagree
I mostly agree with this but the SR has less range AND charges at slower speeds. The SR is currently capped at 170kw vs 250kw for LR so the combo of charging more often and at slower speeds may make more of a difference than some people think. All the necessary caveats still apply: small % of SuC are actually V3, peak charging speeds only occur w/ preconditioning and only to ~50% SoC before tapering.

So, how much wait time difference is there in real world supercharging right now given all those caveats?

In my supercharger-dense region (6 SC stations within a 10-15 minute radius), real world difference between 170kW and 250kW capable charging is......0. Zero. A big bagel. And, I don’t see that changing (at least no evidence to hint at it) any time soon.

To be slightly fair, there are a few more differences like the fog lights, audio upgrade/"full premium" interior, along with the AWD and the increased range. The increased range may not matter the most but is convenient, especially when it comes to winter weather or years later after some battery degradation.

All that said, it's still a tough value proposition and one I personally don't find worth it- I just bought a SR+ myself. Hopefully I don't regret the range or awd in a few years, but for now I think the minimal interior works in a <40k car. for ~50k I expect a better interior than what's on offer here.

For those interested in the process, I thought I would share if you run across this.

I have had a vin since 2/8. All that was left was to make final payment. The car is scheduled to be picked up 2/27. I sold my previous car separately and I made my payment via bank transfer last week. On sunday, as mentioned, Tesla lowered the price of my LR AWD by $1,000. When I went to my account page on Sunday night, there was a revised purchasing agreement with the new pricing and my final payment, which had shown a $0 balance, now shows a -$1,030 balance.
I spoke with my SA this morning and they said they will have to put a refund case in for me on the day of pickup and I should receive that refund in 4-8 weeks.

Amazing how they immediately remove funds the day you put your bank info in but take 4-8 weeks to return them. Ugh.

• Funny
Reactions: TBrownTX
I've thought a lot about the near $10,000 price difference between SR and LR. Truth is, we get three things for $10,000:

-AWD. Important to many people who don't live in the sunny south, but then again, Texans are getting quite the snowfall lately.

-Faster acceleration. A second doesn't look like much on paper, and the SR's are quite fast in their own right. But the LR does feel faster and speed sells.

-Longer range. A lot of people point to the *only* 60-80 extra miles, but in practice, on a long trip, the SR not only has to stop more often, it has to stop for longer time and also has fewer CHOICES to pick from. Whereas if I were to go 400 miles, I can pick from that many chargers, if I had an SR, it HAS to be that one charger, (because I won't make it to the next one) and I'll be sitting there for longer, since the battery is used up more. rinse, repeat. Yes, its totally doable, and yes it takes a different mindset and approach, where trips are now from SC to SC to SC, then destination. Oh whoah be a busy day where that ONE charger is full and a has a long line waiting. How much is convenience worth? You decide!

I've thought a lot about the near $10,000 price difference between SR and LR. Truth is, we get three things for $10,000:

-AWD. Important to many people who don't live in the sunny south, but then again, Texans are getting quite the snowfall lately.

-Faster acceleration. A second doesn't look like much on paper, and the SR's are quite fast in their own right. But the LR does feel faster and speed sells.

-Longer range. A lot of people point to the *only* 60-80 extra miles, but in practice, on a long trip, the SR not only has to stop more often, it has to stop for longer time and also has fewer CHOICES to pick from. Whereas if I were to go 400 miles, I can pick from that many chargers, if I had an SR, it HAS to be that one charger, (because I won't make it to the next one) and I'll be sitting there for longer, since the battery is used up more. rinse, repeat. Yes, its totally doable, and yes it takes a different mindset and approach, where trips are now from SC to SC to SC, then destination. Oh whoah be a busy day where that ONE charger is full and a has a long line waiting. How much is convenience worth? You decide!

In addition, LR offers a much better audio system, heated rear seats, faster charging times, and higher eventual resale value.

• Love
Reactions: Exelion
Looks like the M3LR got a $500 bump. I'm guessing the SR+ and Performance did as well, but I'm not as familiar with their pricing to know for sure or by how much.

My question is: I placed my order on Monday. I do not have a VIN or delivery date yet. My account still shows the original pricing. Since I have my order placed, will it be at the original price at time of order, or would this price increase likely end up applying to my order?

(moderator note: combined with existing price increase thread)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the M3LR got a $500 bump. I'm guessing the SR+ and Performance did as well, but I'm not as familiar with their pricing to know for sure or by how much.

My question is: I placed my order on Monday. I do not have a VIN or delivery date yet. My account still shows the original pricing. Since I have my order placed, will it be at the original price at time of order, or would this price increase likely end up applying to my order?

They raised the price on the M3P by 1K after I had placed my order, and they honored the original price.

Tim