Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Q7 vs X ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - My Model S lease is up and we just had our second kid. So it is time to move on to an SUV. Obvious choice for me is the X, as I am a Tesla fanatic and own 2 Teslas currently. However, I just test drove the 2021 Q7 and was blown away by the interior. I had low expectations of the tech, but was pleasantly surprised by their haptic touchscreen. What are people’s thoughts on the Q7 compared to X ? I feel like the X interior is a little dated as it is the same one I have in my MS from 2016. But the new long range MX look like a game changer for road trips (have been burned in road trips in the past). How does the storage, trunk space, 3rd row compare between the X and Q7 ?

I used to have a 2019 Q7 prestige, boring, slow, and feel fat and heavy. the X is the way to go.
the Q7 is way better inside and quieter, so If you like the interior get the Q7 but it will get "old" over time and the ride is ...hmmm just like a big SUV with not enough power in my opinion.
Take your family for a drive in the 6 seat configuration of the X you will forget about the Q7 very quickly but if are not then you have your answer.

Reactions: VikH
I’m in the same boat. MS lease is almost up, and kids are getting bigger, so time for SUV. There are lots of choices that look appealing. At first.
With Tesla’s continuous range increases, software updates, and constant refinements, there’s still no comparison. Add made in USA and class-leading autonomous features and I’m having trouble imagining ANYWHERE else to put my TSLA earnings. Oh and best charging network.

PS. SpaceX connection matters to many of us.

Last edited:
The SQ7 (priced right on top of Model X) is one of the best handling 3 rows, if not the best handling ICE 3 row. Still handles like a shed compared to model X imo. It’s also a much more practical car overall than Model X and much nicer in back for actual humans to live with and use. Cant go wrong really, just depends on your priorities

A few key questions that only you can answer (really not specific to Q7 either):

1. Is “electric” important to you
  2. How do you value German (or other luxury brand origin) engineering, fit, finish
  3. How do you value cutting edge technologies that will be able to be easily upgraded/updated via OTA updates throughout the ownership of the vehicle or are you OK with the Q7 technology which will essentially be frozen from 2019 or 2020 (for me, this one was huge, but it’s a personal choice to be weighed for everyone themselves)
  4. Compare cargo volume numbers, comfort, etc to see if they matter for your mission
  5. Will you get grumpy when inevitably the electric front doors or falcon wing doors fail or chalk it up to part of the experience of a highly automated electromechanical device?
  6. Savings in fuel and maintenance costs - eh, this is personal too. Does it exist, sure, it’s a great selling point to justify a $100k car purchase to your wife, but at this price point, it wasn’t a driving consideration for me, maybe for others though so it should be considered!
I could probably come up with many more to ponder but it’s such a personal preference whenever these questions come up.

Reactions: Bigriver
Having owned a few ICE Germans and couple of Brits, I always preferred the Tesla. First German SUV was a 09 Q7 TDI, love the car, Audi has one of the best interiors (till I get to the Brits) in the industry at the time (and probably still do). Then I got a '14 L494 RRS and it blew the Q7 away, then came the '16 X and the interior never was quite up to par with the RRS, but the tech was light years ahead. So the '14 is now garaged and drive the X all the time, then I got a '17 LR 3, love the 3, then the X was barely driven. Got a '19 RRS for various reasons (one being that luxurious interior and tech in MY 2019 has improved). Still prefer the 3. So RRS and '16 X is collecting dust. Then just got a '21 X - and I'm in love with the X again. LR+ with 20" wheels. Love the new X. So much quieter and handles great. Every time I get into an ICE car, it feels sluggish, does not move, I have no connection with the way the car drives and moves. In the X/3, I feel like I can control the car at will, do exactly what I want from it. I take the X out for everything now. The RRS now has OTA updates, but still no where near Tesla territory. The only thing I love about it is the craftsmanship and that interior with the leather, it still smells new whenever I get into it. I tell you, JLR knows how to make a luxury product. Brits are like old-school luxury, and Germans are like over-engineered machines and know how to please everybody with numbers and research. I love the looks of the RRS, but it does not drive like my X. Don't really like the exterior of the BMWs and MBs, the interior of the new S class is nice, but their GLS product line is very meh to me. So when time to pickup a new car for 2020. I end up with another Model X, it was a very easy decision. Considering I just dropped off the new one at a SC to have like 10 things fix from new delivery (I never learn), but I still stick with them. It's a better driving product.

Also had a Cayenne, better than the Q7, handles OK (I got the S, not the Turbo), but have to rebuild the engine after 5 years, got a bazillion warranty service work done. All kind of electronic gremlins on that one. Could be just bad luck, that kinda swear me off the Porsche brand. Taycan is drawing me in, but can't do road trips like I can on the X.

-ThinkMac-

The mechanical tech is frozen on the Tesla too once you take delivery, not like they’re handing out new batteries when they update them. Much more so than on an ICe imo, which are easy to upgrade and the fast audis in particular have a nice aftermarket. and Audi is now doing OTA updates as are almost all luxury OEM’s now.

Ultimately we picked the X because we wanted an EV and wanted a 3 row and that is a class of one right now. It’s a hell of a way to win by default though

My Model X lease is up next month. I wasn't terribly impressed with the fit and finish/ clunky falcon doors, constant freezing screens and the inability to travel distances with kids with my P100D. I too was extremely impressed with the Audi quality and features as well. My choice was the new RS6 Avant.

Last edited:
Reactions: ithinkmac and VikH
Don’t take my comments above as a knock on going with either choice, honestly the OP or anyone pondering such choices will likely be thrilled with either! I absolutely love my 2020 MX LR+, coming from a 2014 SQ5, and quite honestly still love that car as well. We juggled cars and kept that one in the driveway and after living the fit and finish of the MX (which in my particular one I think is even pretty good compared to others I’ve seen), I’m blown away when I walk by the old SQ5 in the driveway and notice the perfection of the window trim alignment and solidness of other areas of the construction haha. Anyway, congrats to everyone and their amazing cars!

My Model X lease is up next month. I wasn't terribly impressed with the fit and finish/ clunky falcon doors, constant freezing screens and the inability to travel distances with kids with my P100D. I too was extremely impressed with the Audi quality and features as well. My choice was the new RS6 Avant.

Any pics of your RS6 Avant? Great looking car!

I came from 3 BMWs. My experience with german cars is that interiors are nice yes, but they get old really fast and you won't appreciate it months, or even weeks in. Then they get boring and old. The inconveniences and cons of an ICE, as well as the clunkiness of german software never goes away though.

Tesla isn't the best interior wise, but you get used to it and won't mind it much weeks in. All the tech and conveniences in a tesla are things that you will be constantly reminded of.

Also, if you care about depreciation. A german luxury car has horrible depreciation vs tesla.

Reactions: DIL
I have been pleasantly surprised how well used X interiors seem to have held up. If you believe the internet there would be parts actively trying to fall off and impale you on them. But it’s really no worse than any merc or BMW I’ve shopped used 3-4 years old - some are beat especially if it was an X that was a family van but overall they seem to be holding up. It’s what convinced me I wasn’t making an insanely foolish decision getting a newer one. No more insane than the many German cars were anyway.

storage is the only weakness imo. And the shape limits cargo space like the other suv coupes

Last edited:
Any pics of your RS6 Avant? Great looking car!
Thank you sir. It will arrive in January, right after my Tesla lease ends but this is basically the car. Probably the biggest thing I'll miss with the Tesla is the self presenting doors. But I can't wait to hear that V8 growl again.
Audi-Avant-2048x1365.jpg

Having owned a few ICE Germans and couple of Brits, I always preferred the Tesla. First German SUV was a 09 Q7 TDI, love the car, Audi has one of the best interiors (till I get to the Brits) in the industry at the time (and probably still do). Then I got a '14 L494 RRS and it blew the Q7 away, then came the '16 X and the interior never was quite up to par with the RRS, but the tech was light years ahead. So the '14 is now garaged and drive the X all the time, then I got a '17 LR 3, love the 3, then the X was barely driven. Got a '19 RRS for various reasons (one being that luxurious interior and tech in MY 2019 has improved). Still prefer the 3. So RRS and '16 X is collecting dust. Then just got a '21 X - and I'm in love with the X again. LR+ with 20" wheels. Love the new X. So much quieter and handles great. Every time I get into an ICE car, it feels sluggish, does not move, I have no connection with the way the car drives and moves. In the X/3, I feel like I can control the car at will, do exactly what I want from it. I take the X out for everything now. The RRS now has OTA updates, but still no where near Tesla territory. The only thing I love about it is the craftsmanship and that interior with the leather, it still smells new whenever I get into it. I tell you, JLR knows how to make a luxury product. Brits are like old-school luxury, and Germans are like over-engineered machines and know how to please everybody with numbers and research. I love the looks of the RRS, but it does not drive like my X. Don't really like the exterior of the BMWs and MBs, the interior of the new S class is nice, but their GLS product line is very meh to me. So when time to pickup a new car for 2020. I end up with another Model X, it was a very easy decision. Considering I just dropped off the new one at a SC to have like 10 things fix from new delivery (I never learn), but I still stick with them. It's a better driving product.

Also had a Cayenne, better than the Q7, handles OK (I got the S, not the Turbo), but have to rebuild the engine after 5 years, got a bazillion warranty service work done. All kind of electronic gremlins on that one. Could be just bad luck, that kinda swear me off the Porsche brand. Taycan is drawing me in, but can't do road trips like I can on the X.

-ThinkMac-

Currently Caynne S here. Just binding my time til I convert to X. I am going to take my time. Never again. Love the fast engine and the exhaust sound(secondary cat delete). Exactly what you said and then some. I don't know how they sell so many of these. Porsche's best seller. Big problems with Cayenne and Macan. Transfer Case.

• Love
Reactions: tierneyalvin
I also looked at a Q7, its a great family car, and virtually identical in size/ultitly to the X. But boring is the word I would use to describe it. Life if too short for boring.

Incidentally its quite amazing to realise despite how big both the Q7 and X are, they are as fast as 911s from the past. I think you will be happy with either car, but it really is amazing how far car tech has progressed and how 'small' a 911 is in comparison!!

27606749419_71d3cad92c_k_d.jpg

Very nice. Congrats!

I love the RS6 Avant. I'm glad Audi finally brings it over here. I had a 02 allraod 2.7t, love Audi wagons.

-ThinkMac-

Thank you sir. It will arrive in January, right after my Tesla lease ends but this is basically the car. Probably the biggest thing I'll miss with the Tesla is the self presenting doors. But I can't wait to hear that V8 growl again.View attachment 611907

• Love
Reactions: DavidPetr.