Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 quality of white paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the white...and I like the price, but every white MY that I have seen has a horrible color match on the rear bumper. Sometimes other panels mismatch too. Just getting a gauge of any recent deliveries and peoples experience with the white paint. Thanks for the info.

My Oct 2020 Pearl White Metallic paint quality was poor. Edges did not have good coverage and there were a couple touch ups from the SC pre-delivery. At only 1500mi over 4 months, I had a dozen chips on the front. Very short freeway trips and almost all local road due to the pandemic. The panels and bumpers were close enough match. Really depends on the viewing angle. Some angles the bumpers even look more white than the fenders. All the metal panels matched perfectly. The door alignment was horrible and even after correction at the SC still not perfect. I’ve basically gotten to being able to close the doors or have them aligned, not both.

I leased for this reason specifically. I didn’t trust paint or build quality on the Y.

I like the white...and I like the price, but every white MY that I have seen has a horrible color match on the rear bumper. Sometimes other panels mismatch too. Just getting a gauge of any recent deliveries and peoples experience with the white paint. Thanks for the info.
The paint is crap in general. The white paint is probably the worst.

I wouldn’t expect anything halfway decent until they stop painting cars in California.

• Helpful
Reactions: PureNorthwest
I have an October 2020 build. I have no issues with my white car. I would say the same for the 2020 Model 3 that I traded in for it. I love the white color, and was surprised when they made it standard. As far as mismatch on the fascias, I think there will always be some difference. Why? Because they are painted off the car. The same is true when a fascia is replaced by a body shop. Add to that the complication of a metallic/pearlescent color that will vary somewhat just from varying your viewing angle.

I also agree with glide that the old Fremont factory is much of the problem. When I consider that all Teslas sold in the US, and Europe, have come from this single, antiquated factory, I am amazed at what they have accomplished. Nearly all of its production run since the 3 have been pre-sold. No other manufacturer has this "problem", the problem being that speed of production is more vital than QC. The Shanghai factory has begun sharing the strain of serving the European market, and Giga Berlin will complete that process. The Austin plant will take the strain off Fremont in the US. These modern, state-of-the-art factories will move QC forward. In the meantime, we have all been part of a remarkable transformation.

Enjoy your car.