Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh Factory Firmware Hold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SoCal Buzz

Early Adopter
Supporting Member
Oct 9, 2018
OC, Calif.
Can those with refresh deliveries share about how long it took to get their first firmware update please? Mine was delivered with 2021.31.103 and shows 2021.32 pending. So I’m waiting on the yoke control / turn signal updates, Sirius XM support, etc. The service center said factory locks down firmware updates for some period of time. Thanks

Reactions: benh57
Still on firmware hold for my 10/29 delivery. However in reading some other threads, there seems to be sporadic issues with black displays, USB drive corruption, etc. that may be related to .32 or .36. So that could be affecting the firmware upgrade path for those of us on .31 (which has been very stable for me, despite missing Sirius XM and new turn signal logic).

Reactions: CraneKick
Upvote 0
I have 2021.31.103 on my MSL delivered 11/17. My turn signals auto cancel after a full turn. Is the update supposed to have them cancel after a lane change?
Yes, once we get the newer firmware the turn signals will auto turn-off with lane and other changes that are less than full turn. In addition, the "gentle" press where you hold the button to keep signal on goes away. You just press to activate and let car turn it off.

Upvote 0
Hey lookit that! I just got 2021.40.6 ready to install now too…while the car is at the detailers for a week to get ppf’d. Of course, lol.

My delivery date was 11/1 and I’ve got 540 miles.

I had a thought today. New deliveries are supposedly on some kind of firmware hold for a period of time. Let’s assume that’s true but we don’t know the time period because everyone’s time from delivery to first software update seems so random.

I think once a new delivery gets past it’s hold period… it then just goes into the software update queue/process, which we all know seems random to the end users given the endless posts about “Zomg when will I get xxxx.xx.xx update it’s been forevvvvvver” on every single software update.

Point being… it happens when it happens.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Upvote 0
Me too! 10/29 delivery, finally our group was released. So glad we jump straight to 40.6. It’s like an early Christmas 😊 For those who are first time Tesla owners, this is what it was like back in 2013. Firmware releases brought new and interesting features several times per year. I think we will see a lot of yoke control / driver display improvements.

Last edited:
Reactions: benh57
Upvote 0
I also just got 2021.40.6! Looks like our batch just got pushed together.
Me too! 10/29 delivery, finally our group was released. So glad we jump straight to 40.6. It’s like an early Christmas 😊 For those who are first time Tesla owners, this is what it was like back in 2013. Firmware releases brought new and interesting features several times per year. I think we will see a lot of yoke control / driver display improvements.
Will be interesting to see if our cars stay in the same "update batch" over time, lol.

This is gonna be a long week waiting to get my car back. Not sure if I'm more excited about the PPF or the software update...

Upvote 0
Me too! 11/1, 1005 miles

I’m out of town until Sunday though so I can’t read the release notes. If one of you can share a screenshot, it would be appreciated!
I think the short list is: SiriusXM, yoke button / turn signal improvement, active noise reduction, multi Nav stops, and the mobile app sentry viewer.

Attachments

• CDEEB4A6-45B4-4D25-8C14-96DB416843E1.jpeg
    CDEEB4A6-45B4-4D25-8C14-96DB416843E1.jpeg
    352.6 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Upvote 0
New deliveries are supposedly on some kind of firmware hold for a period of time. Let’s assume that’s true but we don’t know the time period because everyone’s time from delivery to first software update seems so random.
It was true, they were on a hold. When it was ultimately released, cars came with 2021.40.6. So they bundled the fix for the firmware with 40.6 and previously software updates. Likely prioritized upcoming deliveries / firmware required vehicles before already delivered vehicles.

Upvote 0
It was true, they were on a hold. When it was ultimately released, cars came with 2021.40.6. So they bundled the fix for the firmware with 40.6 and previously software updates. Likely prioritized upcoming deliveries / firmware required vehicles before already delivered vehicles.
Sorry, I didn't mean the recent hold on deliveries of Model S's for that firmware update. Separate topic.

I'm talking about how every new car that Tesla delivers is on a firmware hold after delivery and doesn't get software updates for a period of time.

Reactions: cwanja
Upvote 0
FWIW I contacted support because of outdated FW I noticed 3-4 days after delivery and did not see this thread at the itme. I put in service request through the app and they manually updated remotely. I think it was version 35->36. I then got an OTA update to I think version 40 the same day. I don't have my car on me right now to verify the versions but you may want to put in a service request if you are not getting updates.

Reactions: cwanja
Upvote 0
I did contact service this morning and the technician called me and said that my car has not been assigned an update yet, will shortly and that sometimes takes very long.
when at a charging station this afternoon there were two mobile Tesla technicians also charging and they said the same thing, and also that I should not be in a rush to get an update, and better to let them stabilize as there are a lot of bugs in the recent versions, that they are the winter versions now going out.

Upvote 0
This is the support group I’ve been looking for lol. Took delivery 11/1. Have some small bugs I know a software update will fix. On the same version as you guys. Took the car into service and it’s basically confirmed that mileage is a component of getting off the factory software. It would be interesting to know how many miles you guys are at (I’m at 922).
I hate to do this to you, but I don’t believe it’s mileage-based. I bought a 21 plaid brand new and my firmware updated within a couple days. I just got a 22 plaid. I picked up three days ago and it’s stuck trying to download the new firmware. It’s got the orange download. I click on it. It turns green, but it’s stuck at 0% and it has been for the last three days going on four. I went into my local service center and they said that they can’t override the factory and they can’t give me a timeframe of how long it’ll take. So basically what I’m trying to say is I don’t believe it’s mileage-based because my 1st T plaid updated when I only had maybe 100 miles on it . My current plied has about 140 miles on it. Luckily my XM is already active and working, but it is somewhat annoying that they can’t push it.

Upvote 0