Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think certain orders are prioritized and I am sure that they are built first. I also think that people who are getting there cars in 3 weeks maybe are just getting lucky as someone might have cancelled their order as it was being built

I have heard some people getting their cars in 2-3 weeks and also some at 13 weeks. Is there any explanation to this?
I was about to post this earlier today and it ended u being too long but here goes.

in Q1, there were about 180 000 model 3 produced and a bit more delivered. About 4/7th in Fremont and 3/7th in China. It means about 103K in Fremont and 77K in China.

There are about 30 variation on the model 3: SR+, LR, P (3), 5 colors, 2 interiors. FSD is software so doesn't matter and the wheels is fairly straightforward to pick last minute

There was a bit less than 30 000 model 3 shipped to the US. 3200 in Canada. Couldn't find the numbers for PR and Mexico. The rest goes oversees.

There are about 270 8 hours shifts in a quarter meaning the Fremont factory produces about 3800 cars per shift.

So at that volume, based on historical data, they can guess probably really well the distribution of the 30 variations I mentioned above. They have some regional constraints too (ex: mexico and Canada models have minor differences, EU models have different tail and head lights and so on).

Now if you look at the broken down per region distribution, even at 30K for the US, each target SC has a relatively small number of cars delivered.

I strongly suspect the most constraining logistical problem is the stacking of cars in the factory's parking and how they get piped to they respective freight targets (train, boats, trucks).

As a result, your individual dates are a function of:

1- how early in the quarter you ordered
2- the volume of cars forecast to be delivered at your SC
3- the probability of your selected config to be statistically significant at that SC
4- the probability that a given quarter's order book (actual) matches the forecast.

So as they begin the quarter, they can ramp up production going "on average, we need x P, y LR and z SR". a% P have white interior and (1-a)% black - broken down by target markets (EU, north America, others). Based on leftover inventory from Q1, they are very near 0 leftovers. As production ramps up and orders start getting in, they is a queue of "more probably orders" (i.e. you placed an order of a given config with probability of canceling and probability of changing config) and "less certain orders" (those not in yet). As we approach the end of the quarter, there are fewer and fewer cars left to build in you region. So it becomes a game of "how probable it is that I place a late order of a config that has a high probability to be remaining in my area on the forecast production".

So those (like me) with low fluctuation of dates have probably a high volume in the area, high probability of having one unit in that config with an order placed early enough that it's accounted for in the production list of units so they can forecast "reliable" delivery times. Those with "exotic" configuration in low volume area are possible built to order and near the end when the "highly probably" "easy to guess" units are built and you are completing the whole thing. For the Canadian market, for instance, they will probably have an abnormally high volume of SR+ because of the cutoff incentive price point. So if you order not an SR+, your dates are more of a crap shoot than the SR+. The whole Canadian volume is ONE shift. And I doubt they don't build those together. The east coast vs west coast thing is most likely a distribution constraint thing where they need to travel for longer. It makes sense to finish at home where delivery is less the constraining factor.

It's very likely there are other factors I am not aware of that influences the whole thing. Left side drive is probably the worst date-wise for the Fremont factory because the volume is likely very low.

EDIT: Material supply storage and synchronization is probably a major factor too. I.E. the delivery of X component required for Y market if back ordered so we pushed the production of that batch by a week.

EDIT 2: In Canada it seems like about 83% of the Model 3 are SR+. A negligible number of SR. I would venture a guess that LR vs P is 2 to 1 because beyond the rebate model (SR+) it's less about the price tag than the car itself. But that's like 3-400 cars total per quarter based on 2021 Q1 numbers)

Last edited:
EDIT 2: In Canada it seems like about 83% of the Model 3 are SR+. A negligible number of SR. I would venture a guess that LR vs P is 2 to 1 because beyond the rebate model (SR+) it's less about the price tag than the car itself. But that's like 3-400 cars total per quarter based on 2021 Q1 numbers)
Anecdotal data from these forums and from inventory cars when they show up on the Tesla site would indicate that the LR to P ratio is probably 5 to 1 or even higher in Canada. I would assume that the LR and P versions are part of the same production run as the US cars. I don't think there are any differences apart from warning labels and door jamb stickers being bilingual.