Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you only see the date range if you already have a vin assigned? I honestly dont remember. When we go our Y, it was literally 6 days from order to delivery last July. lol

if you really want to time things right with order and delivery.....just always order end of the quarter

march, june, sept, dec

you wont have to wait long at all....probably match the same day you order online

the only reason i ordered in oct was because of the presumed "refresh".....i was immediately assigned a VIN but it was for a leftover from the september delivery

Reactions: pg62
So I picked up my LR-AWD tonight at the Tesla location on Grand in Chicago. It was truly 'touchless' and overall a pretty good experience.

I had spoken with someone from that location earlier in the day who gave me generalized directions. With our trade-in, we were told to park the old car in the lot. We then called the office (we could actually see the lady, Frankie, on the phone across the street in the window) and provided our final odometer reading on the trade-in. She then remotely flashed the lights so we could find our new car in the lot. She also changed our Tesla account on the website so we had an 'accept delivery' option, which we had to select.

When we found the car in the lot (semi-challenging in the dark despite the flashing lights), she remotely opened it and activated the car in my Tesla app. A manilla folder in the car contained all the paperwork for the trade in. We signed the old title and several other forms, and left them with the keys to the old car in a drop box.

The card keys for the new car were in the vehicle, and the temporary plate (back only) was installed with the temporary registration card in the glove box.

Overall it went quite smoothly. We walked around the car to check for obvious defects, of course, but there were none. I am not sure how it would have played out had we had an issue - I'm guessing one of the Tesla employees would have walked across the street and looked at the car with us, but that's a guess.

I will say that we did have to wind up calling Frankie back a few times, and the phone tree was a bit cryptic, so I'd recommend anyone else doing similar touchless deliver to get either a direct number or at least an extension for the person you are dealing with at the delivery. With that caveat, though, it was quite a simple process and we drove off 15 minutes after we arrived.

I'm assuming this doesn't apply to anyone on this board, but I would say that if you weren't familiar with how the Tesla operates, the hands-off nature might be a bit problematic unless you watched the videos they send you pre-delivery quite thoroughly. Like I said, though, anyone here wouldn't need that level of handholding. I just wonder what happens when someone shows up to pick up a car who isn't an aficionado or who hasn't test driven the car.

Let me know if you have questions.

Awesome really appreciate it!

Funny enough, my trade-in has a joint owner (on paper) and it's been a process to ensure they will be available as my SA said they couldn't just sign off in advance. Seems unnecessary in this process.

One last IL related question for you, do you plan on removing and keeping your old plates to send back to the state (assuming you don't currently have an EL plate to transfer). Feel a bit weird dropping off a trade-in with no plates but according to IL SOS they should be retained by the owner even when not transferred.

I didn't have an EL plate to transfer. I should have removed them but frankly forgot. I'll call over tomorrow to the delivery center and ask them to dispose of them. I don't believe you need to return them to the state if the registration is cancelled (e.g. the plate number is cancelled).

Temporary plate and registration in Illinois is different than the last time I bought a car ~3 years ago. There's a computer-printed yellow cardboard 'plate' which was already installed, and a little computer 'receipt' in the glove box that serves as your temporary registration certificate if pulled over outside Illinois (Illinois doesn't require you to carry proof of registration in the car).

I expect a bit of an adventure tomorrow when I go to the Chicago City Clerk's office to try to transfer my City Parking Sticker over to the new vehicle (the old one had 12 months of validity left so it will be worth the hassle). The paperless nature of the transaction means I don't have a bill of sale or anything like that, but the Tesla delivery people said to just call them if we ran into trouble and they'd send whatever the City needed. We'll see...

Reactions: compg318
I didn't have an EL plate to transfer. I should have removed them but frankly forgot. I'll call over tomorrow to the delivery center and ask them to dispose of them. I don't believe you need to return them to the state if the registration is cancelled (e.g. the plate number is cancelled).

Temporary plate and registration in Illinois is different than the last time I bought a car ~3 years ago. There's a computer-printed yellow cardboard 'plate' which was already installed, and a little computer 'receipt' in the glove box that serves as your temporary registration certificate if pulled over outside Illinois (Illinois doesn't require you to carry proof of registration in the car).

I expect a bit of an adventure tomorrow when I go to the Chicago City Clerk's office to try to transfer my City Parking Sticker over to the new vehicle (the old one had 12 months of validity left so it will be worth the hassle). The paperless nature of the transaction means I don't have a bill of sale or anything like that, but the Tesla delivery people said to just call them if we ran into trouble and they'd send whatever the City needed. We'll see...

Thank you so much for the detail. Reliving some of my anxiety on this whole process! Also was planning on transferring my chicago sticker but haven’t looked too far into the process (park in a private garage so not a huge time concern anyway).

Thanks again! Enjoy your new car!

Thank you so much for the detail. Reliving some of my anxiety on this whole process! Also was planning on transferring my chicago sticker but haven’t looked too far into the process (park in a private garage so not a huge time concern anyway).

Thanks again! Enjoy your new car!

Thanks!

City sticker transfer info here - Chicago City Vehicle Sticker FAQs

Let us know how your delivery goes!

Reactions: compg318
So I picked up my LR-AWD tonight at the Tesla location on Grand in Chicago. It was truly 'touchless' and overall a pretty good experience.

I had spoken with someone from that location earlier in the day who gave me generalized directions. With our trade-in, we were told to park the old car in the lot. We then called the office (we could actually see the lady, Frankie, on the phone across the street in the window) and provided our final odometer reading on the trade-in. She then remotely flashed the lights so we could find our new car in the lot. She also changed our Tesla account on the website so we had an 'accept delivery' option, which we had to select.

When we found the car in the lot (semi-challenging in the dark despite the flashing lights), she remotely opened it and activated the car in my Tesla app. A manilla folder in the car contained all the paperwork for the trade in. We signed the old title and several other forms, and left them with the keys to the old car in a drop box.

The card keys for the new car were in the vehicle, and the temporary plate (back only) was installed with the temporary registration card in the glove box.

Overall it went quite smoothly. We walked around the car to check for obvious defects, of course, but there were none. I am not sure how it would have played out had we had an issue - I'm guessing one of the Tesla employees would have walked across the street and looked at the car with us, but that's a guess.

I will say that we did have to wind up calling Frankie back a few times, and the phone tree was a bit cryptic, so I'd recommend anyone else doing similar touchless deliver to get either a direct number or at least an extension for the person you are dealing with at the delivery. With that caveat, though, it was quite a simple process and we drove off 15 minutes after we arrived.

I'm assuming this doesn't apply to anyone on this board, but I would say that if you weren't familiar with how the Tesla operates, the hands-off nature might be a bit problematic unless you watched the videos they send you pre-delivery quite thoroughly. Like I said, though, anyone here wouldn't need that level of handholding. I just wonder what happens when someone shows up to pick up a car who isn't an aficionado or who hasn't test driven the car.

Let me know if you have questions.
Thanks for the comprehensive update! If you wouldn’t mind, could you explain how final payment went? Seems a little foreign to me to submit the payment before I see the vehicle. The forums are filled with horror stories about quality control items and Tesla doesn’t want you showing up with a cashiers check (too old school I guess). Just having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Seems like a big leap of faith.

Another update from the DMV....I too have been waiting to be assigned a VIN. I ordered a LR Black on Black with Aeros on 10/16 and have not been assigned a VIN yet. The estimated delivery date has been teetering back and forth between early December and late December, most recently getting push back again to end of December...

Today I drove to the top level of my work garage (see previous comments) and now there are 10+ 2021 M3s and yet I still do not have a VIN match. I am assuming once the vehicles are ready for delivery I will get a VIN match followed by a schedule for pick up relatively quickly...maybe wishful thinking :D but def a step in the right direction.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 71
Thanks for the comprehensive update! If you wouldn’t mind, could you explain how final payment went? Seems a little foreign to me to submit the payment before I see the vehicle. The forums are filled with horror stories about quality control items and Tesla doesn’t want you showing up with a cashiers check (too old school I guess). Just having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Seems like a big leap of faith.

Well perhaps I'm a bit too trusting, but I did final payment earlier in the day yesterday via ACH (that said, I'm a lawyer so it's easy for me to make a PITA of myself if something had gone wrong, so I wasn't too worried). I believe you can actually make the ACH payment right there if you want after having seen the car (the lady I spoke with at the delivery center seemed to suggest this). Definitely worth a phone call to the delivery center to be sure, though!

Well perhaps I'm a bit too trusting, but I did final payment earlier in the day yesterday via ACH (that said, I'm a lawyer so it's easy for me to make a PITA of myself if something had gone wrong, so I wasn't too worried). I believe you can actually make the ACH payment right there if you want after having seen the car (the lady I spoke with at the delivery center seemed to suggest this). Definitely worth a phone call to the delivery center to be sure, though!
Thanks. Will do. Enjoy the new ride! Very happy for you.

Reactions: mrg0114
Nice! Congrats! Did you get the text? or email? or was it in your account when you logged it?
I still haven't got a vin either for my M3P im in the DMV area. there seems to be A lot of inventory 2021 Model 3 LR. you can also call you DC/SA and get matched to one of the inventory cars right away.
I know I saw a Black on White with 19in sport wheels and black on black with aero. just so you know

I still haven't got a vin either for my M3P im in the DMV area. there seems to be A lot of inventory 2021 Model 3 LR. you can also call you DC/SA and get matched to one of the inventory cars right away.
I know I saw a Black on White with 19in sport wheels and black on black with aero. just so you know

Where did you see 2021 inventory online? I can only see 2020's.

It was in my account when I logged in first thing this morning around 6 a.m. central time. It was NOT there when I checked last night around 11 p.m. central time.

Ok, it appears I'm obsessed.....

Congrats to the MN crew!! Happy to see this come together for you!

Still waiting for my VIN - M3P MSM/White. I picked up TPMS sensors at the Maplewood location yesterday and based on how open and spacious it is, I moved my delivery to that location. EP is always sooo busy.

Keep us posted!