Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone here dealt with putting your order on hold, and then taking it off?

Context: I was supposed to take delivery in Q1, but wanted to postpone due to some life stuff. Was originally supposed to take delivery last week, but I asked my SA to put a hold on the order.

Fast forward to today, and life stuff has changed again, and we're ready to take delivery whenever. I took the hold off my account, and it's showing a range of 5/12-6/1. Any thoughts if the SA can help push this up?
Tesla produces right hand drive cars for overseas for around the first half of the quarter, they will start producing left hand drive cars around the middle of the quarter, these deliveries normally start on the east coast and move across the country with the west coast deliveries late in the quarter.
The only way you will get it sooner is if something is being reworked or there happens to be leftover inventory that matches your configuration nearby.

Tesla produces right hand drive cars for overseas for around the first half of the quarter, they will start producing left hand drive cars around the middle of the quarter, these deliveries normally start on the east coast and move across the country with the west coast deliveries late in the quarter.
The only way you will get it sooner is if something is being reworked or there happens to be leftover inventory that matches your configuration nearby.
That's interesting. My SA told me we couldn't get delivery last quarter on our order since we placed it 2 days after the cutoff for manufacturing stateside cars. He said the first two months of the quarter are for the states and the last month is for EU orders.

It is very weird that some people are reporting ordering a car, getting a VIN and a delivery date in a week, while others waiting months for theirs.

My story, will keep it brief: I have been talking with a SA for about a week, sold my car to CarMax yesterday so need a car ASAP.
I would like to grab an Inventory car but they come up infrequently and the numbers differ by region. I was told to place the custom order and if an Inventory car came up I could snag that instead. However, these inventory cars go fast and during online chat the person never heard of this substitution.

Did I screw up and order a car because I will not be able to exchange for an Inventory car?
These cars in Inventory go fast so any transaction will not make it in time, I would think.
Perhaps better to just forfeit the $100 and by when an inventory car comes available I want.

Lol. Good point.

Good luck with your order. It's worth the wait!
It is very weird that some people are reporting ordering a car, getting a VIN and a delivery date in a week, while others waiting months for theirs.

My story, will keep it brief: I have been talking with a SA for about a week, sold my car to CarMax yesterday so need a car ASAP.
I would like to grab an Inventory car but they come up infrequently and the numbers differ by region. I was told to place the custom order and if an Inventory car came up I could snag that instead. However, these inventory cars go fast and during online chat the person never heard of this substitution.

Did I screw up and order a car because I will not be able to exchange for an Inventory car?
These cars in Inventory go fast so any transaction will not make it in time, I would think.
Perhaps better to just forfeit the $100 and by when an inventory car comes available I want.
I’m no expert in how their system works, but i would suggest just leaving your order and also trying to buy the car from inventory separately. If you get one from inventory, I would imagine they would credit you, or worst case you lose the $100.

People who ordered at the end of the quarter will/might get a VIN within day(s). If you ordered on a last day of the quarter then you will have to wait until third month of the next quarter if you are in US. Your only option is existing inventory if they have anything available.

Matt35— I will leave my order and keep looking for Inventory, today there is none in my geography (NY Metro) and 200 miles.

MadMax082–I ordered yesterday 4/1, so if I have to wait until the end of the quarter, then it was a bad April Fools joke on me.
I check the inventory now all the time, there is none currently in the metro NYC area and within 200 miles.

There are 3 of my cars sitting in Inventory in CA, I can have them, after a $2000 shipping fee, no thanks.

Matt35— I will leave my order and keep looking for Inventory, today there is none in my geography (NY Metro) and 200 miles.

MadMax082–I ordered yesterday 4/1, so if I have to wait until the end of the quarter, then it was a bad April Fools joke on me.
I check the inventory now all the time, there is none currently in the metro NYC area and within 200 miles.

There are 3 of my cars sitting in Inventory in CA, I can have them, after a $2000 shipping fee, no thanks.
Fly out and drive it home!

Reactions: Matt35

I get it. I placed my order on Dec 30th 2020 and accepted delivery on March 20th.