Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh: Model S (and X?) Changes to 12v System

Has anyone found a lug to hook up a high current inverter on the refresh S? There's a big lug on the model 3 under the passenger seat directly coming from the dc DC where you can grab 100+ amp 12v power.... Thinking about that now while the power is flickering from the storm here.
I too am interested in this to charge my large drone batteries. I currently use jumper cables to hook up to a regular 12v car battery (ICE cars) but am looking for something than can handle high amperage on the Tesla Model S Refresh too!

I too am interested in this to charge my large drone batteries. I currently use jumper cables to hook up to a regular 12v car battery (ICE cars) but am looking for something than can handle high amperage on the Tesla Model S Refresh too!

I haven't found anything yet... I guess I could look at the service manual or start looking under the rear seats. That might be a place to find the DC/DC converter. Otherwise, you can pull 15V 12A continuous 16A peak (180W) from the power socket to charge another battery, then pull higher power from that battery as needed.

I haven't found anything yet... I guess I could look at the service manual or start looking under the rear seats. That might be a place to find the DC/DC converter. Otherwise, you can pull 15V 12A continuous 16A peak (180W) from the power socket to charge another battery, then pull higher power from that battery as needed.
Under the rear seat is just empty — the Penthouse on the Model S is up front and not at the rear of the pack under the back seats like in the Model 3/Y.

That 180W — do you mean from the "cigarette lighter"? That's a start, but I'm looking for more like 1400-ish Watts.
...and pulling that much power directly from the lithium ~12v battery under the hood makes the car VERY MAD about unexpected giant electrical loads on the system.

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
Under the rear seat is just empty — the Penthouse on the Model S is up front and not at the rear of the pack under the back seats like in the Model 3/Y.

That 180W — do you mean from the "cigarette lighter"? That's a start, but I'm looking for more like 1400-ish Watts.
...and pulling that much power directly from the lithium ~12v battery under the hood makes the car VERY MAD about unexpected giant electrical loads on the system.
If you want to pull that much power, I think it would be best to buy one of the portable "solar generator" batteries with enough capacity (kWh and kW) to cover your needs. It could be risky to try to get that much peak power out of the Tesla.
I have a small one of these battery banks which I use to run a small portable cooler in the car. It charges from the Tesla lighter socket when the car is on and provides high peak power and enough reserve energy to keep the refrigerator running for a day or two. The refrigerator takes 12v. The "generator" also has 120v AC, USB and additional 12v outputs.

If you want to pull that much power, I think it would be best to buy one of the portable "solar generator" batteries with enough capacity (kWh and kW) to cover your needs. It could be risky to try to get that much peak power out of the Tesla.
I have a small one of these battery banks which I use to run a small portable cooler in the car. It charges from the Tesla lighter socket when the car is on and provides high peak power and enough reserve energy to keep the refrigerator running for a day or two. The refrigerator takes 12v. The "generator" also has 120v AC, USB and additional 12v outputs.
That would be the easier way to do it.... I'm considering something similar, since I have a big 12v inverter, charger, and lifepo 12v battery already.

But, I know it worked well on my old model 3. It was easy to connect my 12v inverter directly to the DC DC converter under the rear seats and was able to pull 1000+ watts.

Reactions: AcesAreWld

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC