Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh: Model S (and X?) Changes to 12v System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone found a lug to hook up a high current inverter on the refresh S? There's a big lug on the model 3 under the passenger seat directly coming from the dc DC where you can grab 100+ amp 12v power.... Thinking about that now while the power is flickering from the storm here.
I too am interested in this to charge my large drone batteries. I currently use jumper cables to hook up to a regular 12v car battery (ICE cars) but am looking for something than can handle high amperage on the Tesla Model S Refresh too!

I too am interested in this to charge my large drone batteries. I currently use jumper cables to hook up to a regular 12v car battery (ICE cars) but am looking for something than can handle high amperage on the Tesla Model S Refresh too!

I haven't found anything yet... I guess I could look at the service manual or start looking under the rear seats. That might be a place to find the DC/DC converter. Otherwise, you can pull 15V 12A continuous 16A peak (180W) from the power socket to charge another battery, then pull higher power from that battery as needed.

I haven't found anything yet... I guess I could look at the service manual or start looking under the rear seats. That might be a place to find the DC/DC converter. Otherwise, you can pull 15V 12A continuous 16A peak (180W) from the power socket to charge another battery, then pull higher power from that battery as needed.
Under the rear seat is just empty — the Penthouse on the Model S is up front and not at the rear of the pack under the back seats like in the Model 3/Y.

That 180W — do you mean from the "cigarette lighter"? That's a start, but I'm looking for more like 1400-ish Watts.
...and pulling that much power directly from the lithium ~12v battery under the hood makes the car VERY MAD about unexpected giant electrical loads on the system.

Under the rear seat is just empty — the Penthouse on the Model S is up front and not at the rear of the pack under the back seats like in the Model 3/Y.

That 180W — do you mean from the "cigarette lighter"? That's a start, but I'm looking for more like 1400-ish Watts.
...and pulling that much power directly from the lithium ~12v battery under the hood makes the car VERY MAD about unexpected giant electrical loads on the system.
If you want to pull that much power, I think it would be best to buy one of the portable "solar generator" batteries with enough capacity (kWh and kW) to cover your needs. It could be risky to try to get that much peak power out of the Tesla.
I have a small one of these battery banks which I use to run a small portable cooler in the car. It charges from the Tesla lighter socket when the car is on and provides high peak power and enough reserve energy to keep the refrigerator running for a day or two. The refrigerator takes 12v. The "generator" also has 120v AC, USB and additional 12v outputs.

If you want to pull that much power, I think it would be best to buy one of the portable "solar generator" batteries with enough capacity (kWh and kW) to cover your needs. It could be risky to try to get that much peak power out of the Tesla.
I have a small one of these battery banks which I use to run a small portable cooler in the car. It charges from the Tesla lighter socket when the car is on and provides high peak power and enough reserve energy to keep the refrigerator running for a day or two. The refrigerator takes 12v. The "generator" also has 120v AC, USB and additional 12v outputs.
That would be the easier way to do it.... I'm considering something similar, since I have a big 12v inverter, charger, and lifepo 12v battery already.

But, I know it worked well on my old model 3. It was easy to connect my 12v inverter directly to the DC DC converter under the rear seats and was able to pull 1000+ watts.

Reactions: AcesAreWld
Bumping the thread - I would like to know also where to find the 16V source at the DCDC converter, on Plaid.
You can sign up for a free owners service manual account and look at the schematics on Tesla service site. I am planning to try the audio amp circuit. It has 12ga wire and should be good for up to 960w, if the marketing about the audio system is accurate.

Reactions: hiroshiy
You can sign up for a free owners service manual account and look at the schematics on Tesla service site. I am planning to try the audio amp circuit. It has 12ga wire and should be good for up to 960w, if the marketing about the audio system is accurate.
12 gauge wire can carry 15 amps continuous so 180 W.
And no, you can't believe the marketing about audio systems. They are probably referring to "peak" power which is meaningless.

On May 3, 1974, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) instated its Amplifier Rule[12][13] to combat the unrealistic power claims made by many hi-fi amplifier manufacturers. This rule prescribes continuous power measurements performed with sine wave signals for advertising and specifications of amplifiers sold in the US. (See more in the section Standards at the end of this article). This rule was amended in 1998 to cover self-powered speakers such as are commonly used with personal computers (see examples below).

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
12 gauge wire can carry 15 amps continuous so 180 W.
And no, you can't believe the marketing about audio systems. They are probably referring to "peak" power which is meaningless.

On May 3, 1974, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) instated its Amplifier Rule[12][13] to combat the unrealistic power claims made by many hi-fi amplifier manufacturers. This rule prescribes continuous power measurements performed with sine wave signals for advertising and specifications of amplifiers sold in the US. (See more in the section Standards at the end of this article). This rule was amended in 1998 to cover self-powered speakers such as are commonly used with personal computers (see examples below).
Automotive current specs seem to be much higher than household wiring. I guess wire runs are shorter and they tolerate higher temperatures? The wiring for the 12A power outlet is much thinner than that circuit. So, I'd guess it's rated for at least 30A, but I don't have any data on that.