Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh Model S Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO the "turbo" label cheapens the Porsche. Who calls a BEV a turbo? That's old school ICE terminology.

Because existing Porsche owners equate it with "Top Dog". Turbo is now a trim level. Every single Panamera, Cayenne and Macan are turbocharged. Most 718's and 911's are as well (except 718 GTS and GT4 / Spyder models, and the 911 GT3). Yet only one / two trims say Turbo.

Reactions: Rogue Synapse
I think people who like nice stuff appreciate good design. Churn for the sake of churn is not a sign of good design--the constant changes to the IC and MCU UI for no apparent goal in mind are a prime example--it's the opposite, it's a sign of disposable design. Below is a pic I have always appreciated in that it shows how Porsche felt they had a winner with 911 design and committed to it while keeping contemporary.

Arguing which car has better tail lights is like arguing which brand of bourbon is better--there is no right answer, it's a matter of taste. But I think it's off base to claim that sticking to certain design cues is somehow a mistake.

View attachment 641001

Agreed. I’ve always advocated keeping the ‘essence and soul’ of the S. That in no way dissuades the need for changes. Improvements are always welcome. The 911 has certainly changed over the years but you can identify it as a 911 regardless of make year. The Panamera is still the Panamera in identity and appearance but the recent changes were substantial. And made the car significantly better looking in my view.

The S can look different in time without becoming something else.

I don't see the ambient light strips in this one, maybe that isn't what they are or maybe they just aren't on this one.

View attachment 638710View attachment 638712
I’m wondering if there are only 2 cup holders that are accessible in the front seat. That would be disappointing. It appears that water bottles can be stored in the door pockets. Currently there are 4 cup holders in my 2018 Model S. 6 if you count the 2 in the back of the center console for rear passengers which are accessible from the front seats. I converted mine to 5 (7) in the front with a 3D printed cupholder doubler. Video Below:

Tesla Model S/X Cup Holder Doubler!

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
I’m wondering if there are only 2 cup holders that are accessible in the front seat. That would be disappointing. It appears that water bottles can be stored in the door pockets. Currently there are 4 cup holders in my 2018 Model S. 6 if you count the 2 in the back of the center console for rear passengers which are accessible from the front seats. I converted mine to 5 (7) in the front with a 3D printed cupholder doubler. Video Below:

Dang, you are 1 thirsty guy.

Working on one to go on top of the yoke in all that empty space.

• Funny
Reactions: scrapps
Working on one to go on top of the yoke in all that empty space.
Cup holders have never been a strong suit for Tesla. I think the refreshed S and X will hold fewer bottles/cups because the center console doesn't appear to slide like the current one, so they're putting the cup holders in front of it (I think), but still too close together from what we've been able to see. We shall see...

You can put a whole Happy Meal on this one...

81JqqNt8ADL._AC_UL320_.jpg

There are a few solid aftermarket alternatives to adding cup holders in a Model S. I am thinking about a group buy...
02B188B5-9003-4022-9406-4CC2738366D4.jpeg
E31A7350-D13F-485D-B8B3-B434F19B3846.jpeg

The wood now looks out of place. If they got rid of the " old-school" chrome on the exterior, then why have the old-school wood?

Especially with that yoke, which is as modern looking as a road vehicle gets, resembling aircraft, how many cockpits have wood in them?

View attachment 640975

I don't see why people think a modern interior means no wood. The trend in modern design is to into integrate organic elements with manmade elements. Have a look a this interior design picture for an example of modern style with extensive use of wood.

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 2.58.28 PM.png

I don't see why people think a modern interior means no wood. The trend in modern design is to into integrate organic elements with manmade elements. Have a look a this interior design picture for an example of modern style with extensive use of wood.

View attachment 641034

okay, but the chick with the gum has to go.

The wood now looks out of place. If they got rid of the " old-school" chrome on the exterior, then why have the old-school wood?

Especially with that yoke, which is as modern looking as a road vehicle gets, resembling aircraft, how many cockpits have wood in them?

View attachment 640975
you've seen the model 3 interior? with ONE piece of wood!? it is very out of place
I painted mine black...

Because existing Porsche owners equate it with "Top Dog". Turbo is now a trim level. Every single Panamera, Cayenne and Macan are turbocharged. Most 718's and 911's are as well (except 718 GTS and GT4 / Spyder models, and the 911 GT3). Yet only one / two trims say Turbo.

I can imagine all the screaming and complaints on this site if Tesla called the Plaid+ a “turbo”

• Funny
Reactions: SoCalDude and Tiger
I like the wood accents in the cabin--good blend of classic + modern. I would be OK with no wood, as long as it looks good. Not a fan of CF trim in any scenario.
+1

Carbon fiber is the new chrome. Used to be exotic and expensive to produce, so it came to resemble some expression of status.

Then they figured out how to imitate it with cheap-ass plastic or greatly reduce the cost through other techniques, and it ended up everywhere, with 90% of applications just looking tacky.