Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh Model S Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the nosecone. It's the thing I will be most sad to leave behind when my plaid+ order is filled (and the yacht floor too, although many people now probably aren't even aware of what that is). I have always disliked the slot with that little bird's beak detail in the nose of the current car. I even prefer the model 3 nose to the current model S nose. If some enterprising aftermarket tuner offered a model 3 nose or, even better, a retrofit to the old oval nosecone on the new plaid+ I would consider buying it, although I recognize it probably wouldn't be a good business proposition for them since I would probably be the only one. In fact as my tired old P85D gets older, I think it looks even more fresh and exclusive, since by now the vast majority of MS on the road have that same damn slot and bird's beak, which has been unchanged for just short of five years and is now looking pretty long in the tooth. The oval nose is among the most classic and timeless of car design features. After all, who doesn't love the jaguar D-Type or XKE, or Ferrari 250GTO or 275GTB/4?

Sigh.
Yacht floor is/was a classic! So many features have come and gone over time. I much prefer the original seat back on the X than what is there now. I had it covered with clear 3M and never got a scratch and it still looks awesome. LOVE my spoiler that changes at 45mph and hides when car is off. Those didn’t last long but were awesome. I hate the way the spoiler looks now in a fixed position.
I also love my free supercharging and premium connectivity. Not looking forward to paying $120/year for connectivity I currently get for free.

I would’ve liked some additional external features/updates, but it’s the inside that counts.

So you think Tesla's had the time and money to spend '7-figures' apiece to update the Model 3/Y headlights (to the projectors) and update the Model Y taillights (redesigned brake LEDs and amber turn signals) - lights which have been out for a far shorter period of time, barely half a year in the case of the Model Y taillights - while they don't have the time or money to update them on the S, a car that's been around since 2012 which they just completely refreshed otherwise? Right...

What an odd way to put it. Why does there have to be some 'violation of aesthetic principle' to want Tesla to bring the Model S taillight design up to speed with the rest of the lineup? The Model X, 3 and Y all have more modern looking taillights so clearly it isn't that Tesla designers disagree on what looks more modern (or 'pleasant'). Hell, even the S' front DRLs have a diffused light.

If the Model S still shipped in 2021 with the original dotted led headlights and nose cone, would you be arguing that there is no reason for them to update the design too? It's not like the nosecone violates any aesthetic principle. It's just outdated. Same goes for the taillight design.

The X has had a lovely continuously lit centre brake light and diffused running taillights since 2016. It baffles me how something as simple as this hasn't been integrated into the S, while they have the time and resources to mess around with the Model 3/Y headlights and taillights. I truly don't understand the need to be so defensive when anyone who dares suggest Tesla could do a little more. I've ordered the refresh S and am happy the interior is finally all-new, but it doesn't mean I can't wish there were a few more exterior upgrades, especially when these are upgrades they've already integrated to the rest of the (less expensive) lineup.

So show an example (or several) of photos of a more modern looking or pleasing taillights.

So show an example (or several) of photos of a more modern looking or pleasing taillights.

I am a fan of those on the newer Porsche’s. Panamera for example. Just my liking, that’s all.

upload_2021-2-28_9-45-58.jpeg

With tinted back windows, black T, and a license plate I think it looks really good.

View attachment 640093

Here is an example of what I think overall is a very pretty car (although I would rather have the plaid+, which I think will be around the same price). But even though it's more flashy I think the MS, particularly with dark window and T as shown, is just as pretty if not more so than the rear of this car. I would fiddle with the front of the MS, but not the rear.

Attachments

• 730x730_RSeGT_2021_2358-min.jpg
    730x730_RSeGT_2021_2358-min.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Disagree
Reactions: foos
I love the nosecone. It's the thing I will be most sad to leave behind

I have to admit, this was my least favorite feature of the car, but it really grew on me over the years

Yacht floor is/was a classic!

I *loved* my yacht floor -- it was so functional and flexible, especially with take out food.

The other favorite feature is the retracting door handles. Eight years later, I still love having the door handles pop out when I walk up to the car. I know they got a bad rap fro reliability, but I only every had one fail at the 92K mile mark, so my experience was good with them.

The Model X, 3 and Y all have more modern looking taillights so clearly it isn't that Tesla designers disagree on what looks more modern (or 'pleasant').

You've never seen a Model X, 3 or Y?

I'm not saying it needs to be completely redesigned, or for them to add some kind of full length light bar. I'm just saying it would be nice for the S to maintain the same design language as the rest of the lineup (i.e. have a diffuser over the LEDs like every single other car from the latter part of the 2010s, including the X/3/Y). Is that so much to ask for?

Reactions: murderedms and Maaz
You've never seen a Model X, 3 or Y?

I'm not saying it needs to be completely redesigned, or for them to add some kind of full length light bar. I'm just saying it would be nice for the S to maintain the same design language as the rest of the lineup (i.e. have a diffuser over the LEDs like every single other car from the latter part of the 2010s, including the X/3/Y). Is that so much to ask for?

I think an one who tried to defend the Model S taillight is either delusional or anti-innovation.

Looks much better in the real world to me than teslas website images.
Really liking that new interior, especially the center console, finally a place to rest my arm on during long drives unlike the current model.
Might be your arm is hooked to a short body. My arm, though long, sits high, and I have no problem resting my arm on the armrest. Then again, mostly my arms are hooked to my hands, which are holding the steering wheel. I suppose nearly everybody can find something to complain about with nearly everything.

I think an one who tried to defend the Model S taillight is either delusional or anti-innovation.
I'm delusional, myself. I think the tail lights do a fine job of being red when you put the brakes (not breaks as some think) on. Why is it people get all excited over whether the light is one shape or another? I just need it to show people behind me that I'm slowing.

I'm delusional, myself. I think the tail lights do a fine job of being red when you put the brakes (not breaks as some think) on. Why is it people get all excited over whether the light is one shape or another? I just need it to show people behind me that I'm slowing.

Because people who like nice stuff like cutting edge design. If you just need the basics, you could equally buy a model 3 or a ****ing corolla. These also have brake lights that tell the person behind that you are slowing.

Tesla needs to up their game in design and feature set. Right now they are pretty much the only serious game in the EV market so they can sell a mediocre design and feature set. However in a world when 80% of cars are electric, and you have a full line up of Mercedes, BMW and Porsche EVs, they will end up being the Cadillac of the EV sector - good cars that aren't good enough for their price point.

It's not too late for Tesla to avoid that fate. But fitting their cars with taillights that look like they are 10 years old is not the right way to go.

Last edited:
It’s not a production car, so I don’t think we can expect the wheels, etc to all be “right”. For example, the dash also looks different from the renderings.

For all those folks wondering about the side/relay cameras, I think they needed to be wider to see around the S’s flare and they’re probably just going to use the same pieces in the X.

That said, I do expect upgraded AP hardware this year.

When they start delivering, we shall see.

Because people who like nice stuff like cutting edge design. If you just need the basics, you could equally buy a model 3 or a ****ing corolla. These also have brake lights that tell the person behind that you are slowing.

No, because even a Corolla these days has a more modern looking light... :)

fMtymglfUksIhdJ-EDNKKpPu8GXPgIt3KkOxoWq-PrJkS7ujn0_kDM_CJGb0WkJL91ts2dLbvAPwn8PqroXysCsrkEIRNDFNuR9bGUpt9FO7u6OkgYqA6-wZZ1HRyXQLzZ6yDJ7qAO35_xwNDjIYONI1F745pyLBWHrQgKpq-fZIw-7eqg

If all we need is for things to do a 'fine job', why bother with updates or anything fancy at all? Halogen bulbs do a fine job of being red when hitting the brakes. Halogen headlamps do a fine job of illuminating the road. A 5-inch display does a fine job of displaying a map. 15-inch steel wheels do a fine job of keeping your car rolling. An 80kW motor like the one found in the Nissan Leaf does a fine job of moving your car up to the speed limit.

I'm not even saying the shape needs to change, just for them to integrate the same technology that they already use in the rest of the line up (including your 2018 Model 3)...

Reactions: Stealth.Pilot
Clearly, this is not a production car. This has probably been on the road for a while. In fact, the very people who took these photos seem to agree with me that this is a 3-6 month old development mule.

upload_2021-2-28_20-55-58.png

But let's go over the obvious giveaways.

- No defroster. That is something that 100% can not be absent from a factory build production car, but is not present on this vehicle.
- The lower dash is the wrong color. In all of the other white/cream interior cars actually seen, as well as the website, the dash lower covering is white/cream.
- The B-Pillar continuation of the arm rest is the wrong color. Again, this car is an outlier from all other seen cars, and the website.
- The repeater cams are chrome, not black. All other cars have been seen with black repeaters.
- No shots of the nose or tail, because it probably looks like a 2020. Any car with that much wear and tear has been on the road for a while.
- Seats are not final build quality, lots of uneven stitching
- No interior camera. This actually puzzles me. It means it's probably being long term tested by someone in a C-Suite roll. I don't see any other reason for omission other than privacy, and the clout to get it.
- The car has been on the road a long time. Paint chips, dents, scratches, brake dust. There is a car seat in the back.

Every car seen on the delivery lot has been seen with a round wheel. Every car out for a drive has had a round wheel. The car spotted within 100 miles of the Transportation Research Center (White Car, Toledo), which is presumably where they qualified it for the NHTSA, had a round wheel. The car pictured here is probably the long term tester which convinced them that shipping a family sedan with yoke steering is a bad idea. In any event, this is categorically not a customer car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, range. Tesla only has to concern themselves with range right now and do the minimum elsewhere. A leaf does a great job getting you up to the speed limit and dying after 100 miles. A Corolla isn’t a BEV.

I don’t disagree about the theory Tesla should strive to be best everywhere, but they just don’t have to be, so they aren’t. And it won’t hurt them at all unless or until there’s real competition.

Clearly, this is not a production car. This has probably been on the road for a while. In fact, the very people who took these photos seem to agree with me that this is a 3-6 month old development mule.

View attachment 640887

But let's go over the obvious giveaways.

- The lower dash is the wrong color. In all of the other white/cream interior cars actually seen, as well as the website, the dash lower covering is white/cream.
- The B-Pillar continuation of the arm rest is the wrong color. Again, this car is an outlier from all other seen cars, and the website.
- The repeater cams are chrome, not black. All other cars have been seen with black repeaters.
- No shots of the nose or tail, because it probably looks like a 2020. Any car with that much wear and tear has been on the road for a while.
- No interior camera. This actually puzzles me. It means it's probably being long term tested by someone in a C-Suite roll. I don't see any other reason for omission other than privacy, and the clout to get it.
- The car has been on the road a long time. Paint chips, dents, scratches, brake dust. There is a car seat in the back.

Every car seen on the delivery lot has been seen with a round wheel. Every car out for a drive has had a round wheel. The car spotted within 100 miles of the Transportation Research Center (White Car, Toledo), which is presumably where they qualified it for the NHTSA, had a round wheel. The car pictured here is probably the long term tester which convinced them that shipping a family sedan with yoke steering is a bad idea. In any event, this is categorically not a customer car.

All sounds accurate except repeater cams are black. Look at side shot of the car showing the door handles and repeater is black. Up close shot is just weird.

I want the yoke regardless. One of these days Tesla will let us know what it’s going to be. Likely after they start S deliveries. I don’t see a reveal or call any time soon, regardless of what Elon said.

They appear to be gloss black, not chrome.

Looks identical to the seats in my S and 3, uneven stitching and wavy material and all... :confused:

But yes definitely an engineering car... I don't think anyone thinks it is a customer car.