Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh Model S Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With tinted back windows, black T, and a license plate I think it looks really good.
upload_2021-2-25_21-26-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-25_21-26-25.png
    upload_2021-2-25_21-26-25.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 42
Does it need testing the most, though? As many have said, the yoke is just like the current wheel sans the top. If anything needs testing, its going to be stalkless figures-out-where-you-want-to-go part
You’re right, I was assuming that should already be ready to go and not need testing weeks before scheduled deliveries. Of course it’s not the first time Tesla will use customers as crash test dummies.

Reactions: omarsultan
Well there’s definitely something to see, did you miss the photos posted? You should take a look, they’re quite pleasing to the eye.

You mean the pre-production test vehicle pics? Yep, all of them ... doesn’t prove anything ... we won’t know any facts until the first customer delivery or a direct update from Tesla ... anything else is just speculation.

You mean the pre-production test vehicle pics? Yep, all of them ... doesn’t prove anything ... we won’t know any facts until the first customer delivery or a direct update from Tesla ... anything else is just speculation.
Yeah no s*** its all speculation. I wasn’t saying the round wheel was going to be delivered. I was saying it wouldn’t be the first time Tesla advertised something and not deliver it.

Reactions: elguapo

Don't worry, it must be a dev car. There is no chance this is a final build, because it doesn't look like any other build. To the list!

- Lower dash is the wrong color, black instead of white
- Chrome repeaters cams
- No interior camera
- Chips on the paintwork, dents, brake dust. Has been on the road for a while
- Car seat in the back. Some employee has had it for a while. Telltale navigate home swipe marks
- Diagnostic port readily accessable
- Killowatts aren't showing nose or tail which probably look like pre-refresh cars to keep it low key
- Every car with delivery tape or other sign of coming out of the factory have had round wheels
- No arm rest continuation into the B pillar
- No defroster!
- Not normal quality seat stitching

• Disagree
Reactions: foos and AMPd
Why didn’t they update the taillights??? Makes no sense...

View attachment 639899 View attachment 639898
Because they do the job well, seem to last a long time, and "refreshing" them would likely be a 7-figure investment for "new" taillights which would do absolutely nothing to advance Tesla's mission.

I MUCH prefer useful changes, vs change for change's sake, for things like cast body components, structural batteries, a quieter interior, and several hundred kilograms of LESS mass--those move the needle.

The rest is fluff.

Last edited:
I MUCH prefer useful changes, vs change for change's sake
Ah the Tesla UI on the MCU has suffered more 'change for the sake of changer's sake' than any other product with a screen I know.
But you are correct, it costs car companies a lot of money to make seemingly basic changes, I just hope that they have the Tail light sealing sorted by now.:rolleyes:

Because they do the job well, seem to last a long time, and "refreshing" them would likely be a 7-figure investment for "new" taillights which would do absolutely nothing to advance Tesla's mission.

I MUCH prefer useful changes, vs change for change's sake, for things like cast body components, structural batteries, a quieter interior, and several hundred kilograms of LESS mass--those move the needle.

The rest is fluff.

This is a bad take.

They can refresh MCU stuff and still design tail lights that are pleasing to look at.

Buying a car is an emotional purchase for many people, especially when you get to the high end. The car has to look as good as it drives. Otherwise, less people buy it and that doesn't help Tesla's "mission" of increasing the wealth of daddy Musk.

• Disagree
Reactions: foos and Maaz
This is a bad take.

They can refresh MCU stuff and still design tail lights that are pleasing to look at.

Buying a car is an emotional purchase for many people, especially when you get to the high end. The car has to look as good as it drives. Otherwise, less people buy it and that doesn't help Tesla's "mission" of increasing the wealth of daddy Musk.

Who says the taillights are unpleasant to look at? That’s just your opinion. Is there some aesthetic principle for taillight design that Tesla has violated?

The exterior changes aren’t that noticeable to me and I agree with others it’s got a timeless exterior design. The interior needed a refresh badly.

As for the yoke, as with anything Tesla, you’ll see it when you (or others) finally take delivery. I want the yoke. Won’t take delivery without it. But it’s so funny that 30 days ago I wouldn’t have cared if they’d just never shown it to me!

Reactions: DukeofURL and foos

The rest is fluff.

So you think Tesla's had the time and money to spend '7-figures' apiece to update the Model 3/Y headlights (to the projectors) and update the Model Y taillights (redesigned brake LEDs and amber turn signals) - lights which have been out for a far shorter period of time, barely half a year in the case of the Model Y taillights - while they don't have the time or money to update them on the S, a car that's been around since 2012 which they just completely refreshed otherwise? Right...

Who says the taillights are unpleasant to look at? That’s just your opinion. Is there some aesthetic principle for taillight design that Tesla has violated?

What an odd way to put it. Why does there have to be some 'violation of aesthetic principle' to want Tesla to bring the Model S taillight design up to speed with the rest of the lineup? The Model X, 3 and Y all have more modern looking taillights so clearly it isn't that Tesla designers disagree on what looks more modern (or 'pleasant'). Hell, even the S' front DRLs have a diffused light.

If the Model S still shipped in 2021 with the original dotted led headlights and nose cone, would you be arguing that there is no reason for them to update the design too? It's not like the nosecone violates any aesthetic principle. It's just outdated. Same goes for the taillight design.

The X has had a lovely continuously lit centre brake light and diffused running taillights since 2016. It baffles me how something as simple as this hasn't been integrated into the S, while they have the time and resources to mess around with the Model 3/Y headlights and taillights. I truly don't understand the need to be so defensive when anyone who dares suggest Tesla could do a little more. I've ordered the refresh S and am happy the interior is finally all-new, but it doesn't mean I can't wish there were a few more exterior upgrades, especially when these are upgrades they've already integrated to the rest of the (less expensive) lineup.

Last edited:
If the Model S still shipped in 2021 with the original dotted led headlights and nose cone, would you be arguing that there is no reason for them to update the design too? It's not like the nosecone violates any aesthetic principle. It's just outdated. Same goes for the taillight design.
I love the nosecone. It's the thing I will be most sad to leave behind when my plaid+ order is filled (and the yacht floor too, although many people now probably aren't even aware of what that is). I have always disliked the slot with that little bird's beak detail in the nose of the current car. I even prefer the model 3 nose to the current model S nose. If some enterprising aftermarket tuner offered a model 3 nose or, even better, a retrofit to the old oval nosecone on the new plaid+ I would consider buying it, although I recognize it probably wouldn't be a good business proposition for them since I would probably be the only one. In fact as my tired old P85D gets older, I think it looks even more fresh and exclusive, since by now the vast majority of MS on the road have that same damn slot and bird's beak, which has been unchanged for just short of five years and is now looking pretty long in the tooth. The oval nose is among the most classic and timeless of car design features. After all, who doesn't love the jaguar D-Type or XKE, or Ferrari 250GTO or 275GTB/4?

Sigh.

Last edited:
I love the nosecone. It's the thing I will be most sad to leave behind when my plaid+ order is filled (and the yacht floor too, although many people now probably aren't even aware of what that is). I have always disliked the slot with that little bird's beak detail in the nose of the current car. I even prefer the model 3 nose to the current model S nose. If some enterprising aftermarket tuner offered a model 3 nose or, even better, a retrofit to the old oval nosecone on the new plaid+ I would consider buying it, although I recognize it probably wouldn't be a good business proposition for them since I would probably be the only one. In fact as my tired old P85D gets older I think it looks even more fresh and exclusive, since by now the vast majority of MS on the road have that same damn slot and bird's beak, which has been unchanged for just short of five years and is now looking pretty long in the tooth. The oval nose is among the most classic and timeless of car design features. After all, who doesn't love the jaguar D-Type or XKE, or Ferrari 250GTO or 275GTB/4?

Sigh.

I pass by a classic P85 every day in my parkade and it still looks good to this day. My point is merely that just because we clamor for updates, doesn't necessarily stem from there being something inherently 'wrong' with the design. Sometimes over time changes are just needed to keep things fresh (and as you mention, even the current S nose is getting long in the tooth).